SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cord cutters: Options for DVR and landline?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cord cutters: Options for DVR and landline? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I first got TiVo to use in a vacation rental house because it was the simplest way to access both cable and streaming services. It works as well for OTA if you get a Bolt for Antenna or whatever it’s called.
One remote takes care of all the controls, and it’s pretty intuitive.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I would like to cut the cord but I don't know where to start.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of links that talk about it in fairly simple terms. I'm sure there are more.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.co...utting-2018-edition/

https://www.amazon.com/Cord-Cutting-101/dp/B07BMGZSBY

This one looked like it might be good, but they insist that you enable their ads to view it:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/...ine-streaming-video/

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
I would like to cut the cord but I don't know where to start.
I know the feeling. I'm not super tech savvy, but wanted to "cut the cord" for a long time. My spouse was somewhat opposed though. Finally she got so sick of the combination of outrageous pricing, frequent outages, and horrible customer service, from "traditional cable," she got on board. It was tough trying to figure out which way to go, but we finally did it a few months ago.

We had an older HDTV (not a "smart TV), and an older Blueray player, which has very limited access to "apps. So we looked at streaming devices, mainly Roku and Amazon Firestick

The Firestick remote was compatible with both our TV and sound bar, meaning unless we want to watch a disc on the Blueray player, we only needed one remote to run everything. That was a huge plus for us, since we rarely watch stuff on disc.

Also, the Firestick has the ability to use an adapter to connect an Ethernet cable to the router, eliminating some of the issues that might come with a WiFi setup. There are lots of advantages to the Roku too, so if your equipment is different, including very fast internet service, and a good wireless router, you may want to consider that instead.

We are currently using PlayStation Vue, to replace traditional TV service, which includes local channels. However, we may be moving, and might switch to Spectrum as our ISP. If we do we will probably use their streaming app, as it is less expensive and seems to provide the similar service. Another option to consider is the Direct TV app. There are probably other good services, bit those are the ones we researched.

Many apps have "cloud DVR" service, but often are very limited in how much you can record, and/or how long you can save the recordings. Also, if you want/need an "over the air" (OTA) HDTV antenna, the cloud DVR won't record those broadcasts.

You can get a separate DVR, and I previously linked to an article reviewing three of the current "top" choices. We don't record a lot of stuff, and don't have a big need for long term storage, so the "cloud DVR," is good for us right now.

We also have a subscription to Netflix. The various streaming apps, mentioned above, also offer access, at additional cost, to things like HBO, Showtime, etc, if you want that.

In all we were able to cut our costs nearly in half, from what we paid for "traditional cable" and internet. However, the savings might not be as good if you want a lot of channels (we used the second to lowest package for PlayStation Vue), and a lot of "premium" channels.

All in all it's not perfect, but it's better than our old "traditional" service, and at a much lower cost.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post