SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automobile Window Tint...is anything better than the others?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automobile Window Tint...is anything better than the others? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The conclusion I came to when shopping was similar to what we hear about HVAC contractors and similar. What they install is less important than who's installing it and standing behind it.

A great product installed wrong won't look as good as a mediocre product installed perfectly. You'll also want somebody who will be around (and willing to) honor the warranty.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After doing the research I settled on Crystalline 40. It's not dark (ymmv), rejects heat very well, and to my eye is incredibly clear to look through. I've done three vehicles with this tint over the years.

As mentioned, it's now available in 20% but it has a bit of a dark blue reflection to it. Still a great film, but I didn't like the dark blue cast I sometimes noticed.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
On my Audi A4 wagon, I had the 3M crystalline film put on (50 or 40, can’t remember which). Had it for 2 full summers here in NC, sitting in the sun while at work all day - it was great for heat rejection, didn’t seem dark (I wanted the same all around, not to look “tinted”. My goal was entirely heat rejection.). It was great, had no issues with it. It was expensive ($850) installed - but I had everything except the windshield done, including the panoramic sunroof. I would use it again if needed.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Huper Optik is by far the best film you can get.

Not anymore. That title belongs to Spectra Photosync Nano Film. I have a good friend in the business. It’s $$ but worth it. I have it on one of my cars and it is no joke, best film I’ve used bar none.

Whomever said it was right.....the installer is more important than the film. Reputable installer who stands by their work. I’d go ceramic, you pick the brand you can get a deal on. I’ve had Huber, Formula One, and now Spectra. I’d definitely do your windshield with clear (no tint) if you aren’t in a replacement my windshield every year state. I finally did it on one of my cars and the difference is very noticeable. It was 107 here a week ago and my car was sitting out in it, with the wi shield film no need to put up a shade. Tint and clearbra, really as much as you want to spend. Cheap, middle, or high end.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Quick question and maybe Prefontaine has answered it...Is the windshield film any help at preventing and/or protecting the windshield from cracking? My wife drives a Jeep JK and does a lot of highway miles in it, her windshield is always full of cracks or bulls eye damage. Doesn’t matter, within a month of a new windshield she picks up damage. Thanks!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
Quick question and maybe Prefontaine has answered it...Is the windshield film any help at preventing and/or protecting the windshield from cracking? My wife drives a Jeep JK and does a lot of highway miles in it, her windshield is always full of cracks or bulls eye damage. Doesn’t matter, within a month of a new windshield she picks up damage. Thanks!

Not sure about the question, but most tint is placed on the inside surface, so I can’t believe it would do much to prevent damage to the glass. The problem with Jeeps is the near vertical windscreen. Impact is basically never glancing, but a direct hit. That and Fiat/Chrysler glass...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
On my Audi A4 wagon, I had the 3M crystalline film put on (50 or 40, can’t remember which). Had it for 2 full summers here in NC, sitting in the sun while at work all day - it was great for heat rejection, didn’t seem dark (I wanted the same all around, not to look “tinted”. My goal was entirely heat rejection.). It was great, had no issues with it. It was expensive ($850) installed - but I had everything except the windshield done, including the panoramic sunroof. I would use it again if needed.

I had a A4 Avant before the days of panoramic sunroofs this was the 1st car I had ceramic film and used Formula One. That is a little car with lots of glass the heat blocking was great!! This was years ago when ceramic was just up and coming and I paid close to $700 I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Huper Optik is by far the best film you can get.

Not anymore. That title belongs to Spectra Photosync Nano Film. I have a good friend in the business. It’s $$ but worth it. I have it on one of my cars and it is no joke, best film I’ve used bar none.

Not heard of Spectra before. Guess next time I buy a car i’ll Have to look into it. Though that will be awhile.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
The conclusion I came to when shopping was similar to what we hear about HVAC contractors and similar. What they install is less important than who's installing it and standing behind it.

A great product installed wrong won't look as good as a mediocre product installed perfectly. You'll also want somebody who will be around (and willing to) honor the warranty.

This for sure. ^^^^

I went with a local guy that does all the local celebrities, athletes, and rich dudes. Funny thing was he's 1/2 the price you guys are quoting and I live in an extremely expensive area. I think I paid $180 or $200, I was surprised, especially seeing the farrrais, lambos, and other high end cars in the lot.

He only uses one product, that's it, pick your shade. He says it's super good stuff and he's able to offer better prices by not stocking good/better/best and just selling what he'd put on his car. Has a lifetime warranty so I could really care less if the color changes, bubbles, peeling, etc. I just bring it back for free.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I had the same information overload problem. Everyone has an opinion.

I don't even remember what I got, but sorting through the conflicting reports and opinions was just about impossible.

JHE,

That tends to happen. Was at SEMA a few years ago talking with some distributors and two of them kind of opened up when asked which brand is better.

The response was akin to, " which is better, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Choose the one with the best warranty."

My GTO has a lifetime warranty from the distributor (not the dealer). I've had the rear window replaced once in the 14 years of driving it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I recently had my Tacoma done with Huper Optik Black Ceramic. I'm very pleased with the price point, service and end result. Dark enough for good security, yet easy to see through even at night sporting some sun glasses.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I was off slightly.

$350 for the 4 windows for the Crystilline 3M.

$325 for 4 windows from Sunstopper with Ceramic Pro.

I've got a quote request in for the Lumar with another shop.

That’s reasonable. Much more than the that and you’re getting robbed, especially when they don’t have to do the most difficult window, that being the rear.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post