SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chromebooks, anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chromebooks, anyone? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I was talking to my mom today and she told me she was out shopping for a new laptop, because her old one was a piece of junk. She's 80, and really only wants to use it for word processing and printing. I was thinking a Chromebook would be a perfect device for her, but I really have no first-hand experience or knowledge of them. Given her needs, would you recommend a Chromebook, and if so, what are some things to look out for when buying one?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan and my first one is an 11" model from 2011 that I bought refurbished and it still works. I've bought several more since then, always from Acer Recertified. Very easy to deal with and the CBs appear new to me.

All I do is web surf and simple stuff, my main connection is a desktop pc but I have 5 chromebooks scattered around the house and my wife has a couple.

I've got both models in the link - the 17" is a little awkward to tote but the screen is crisp and clear and I like it for youtube and general browsing. 16:9 aspect. The 16" model 516 is my favorite, it's more expensive but you also get more - they call it a gaming cb, that means nothing to me but I love the 4k screen and the extra memory/chip upgrade, also prefer the 16:10 aspect. I got mine on sale during Christmas for $275 w/shipping included and no sales tax.

At age 72 I'm probably one of the more computer illiterate members of the forum but a cb is easy for me to do all I care to do and I wholeheartedly recommend doing business with Acer Recertified.

https://acerrecertified.com/ch...n+Size%5B%5D=17.3%22

edited to answer a couple things to look out for. Cheaper models sometimes have lower screen resolution so be sure to get 1920x1080. 4gb memory works fine and a 15.6" is sweet spot imho - big enough screen and light enough to carry. Most do not have backlit keyboards, speakers are adequate but nothing special.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My spouse loves her chromebook too.

All she does is surf the internet, facebook, email, shop, etc. Perfect for her needs and it boots up immediately.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Yes chromebook should be perfect.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5134 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
The Chromebook would be perfect and a reconditioned one should fit the bill, but check the AUE date when you decide to purchase one. That is the date that updates will stop from the mfg.

Posts: 5307 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If she can get down with Google documents, then absolutely. But if she's a MS Word user and that's her muscle memory, I wouldn't shake things up unless she's inquisitive and willing to learn the new routine.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I hate 'em!!!!! You can't load SHIT on them without running out of memory, the one I had couldn't even load the first updates when I booted it because it didn't have enough memory. Not worth a crap IMHO.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Physically, is her laptop OK and the Windows OS bogging it down? If so, consider installing a Windows flavored version of Linux on it. It will look and feel the same to her, but perform much better, save some money and run rings around a Chromebook. If she still has a spinning HD, put in an SSD and it will be like night and day. I'm typing this on a nearly 13yr old bottom tier MacBook Pro...maxed out RAM, installed a 1T SSD, and new battery a few years back.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I really like mine.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A cheap windows laptop might be easier and have more flexibility with documents and internet content. Only thing with Windows is you need to lock down the browser she will be using, and if you can swing it, a pay-for vpn service that runs in the background. That will keep all old people (and everyone else) from being attacked with malware etc.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Got my wife one a month ago for Christmas. A laptop was more than what she needed and more than what I wanted to spend.

She’s been happy so far.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ease of use of Chromebooks has been great for many years now. For web browsing and watching videos a cheap 4gb hp Chromebook from Costco has been great. Zero maintenance or security issues and it just works. This one says it will receive updates through 2031.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I use CB and really like it for the limited amount of things I use a computer for. Beware of buying from Amazon or third party sellers. They play loose with the specs and descriptions. One thing that was a must have for me was a back lit keyboard. I purchased two from Amazon claiming in the description they had back lit keyboards. Both came without and I sent both back. Finally wound up purchasing directly from HP website and got what was described and what I wanted.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If she can get down with Google documents, then absolutely. But if she's a MS Word user and that's her muscle memory, I wouldn't shake things up unless she's inquisitive and willing to learn the new routine.

This. If word processing is primary, I’d stick with what she knows.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7955 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We tried one a few years ago, but both my wife and I hated the experience and ended up getting rid of it.

As much as they try to push the idea, it really does not replace a true laptop. To me, it’s just a giant smartphone that happens to have a keyboard attached.

Posts: 33837 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I've had the urge to get a CB and put Ubuntu on it. Not done so yet, but that may be my next travel laptop.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I've had the urge to get a CB and put Ubuntu on it. Not done so yet, but that may be my next travel laptop.

That cheap Costco CB let me access the underlying linux system, so I've installed the Brave browser, python tools, and even Visual Studio Code. It's definitely not enough to develop software, but it works to play with python and linux.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but are there any options for external storage with a CB? Can I hook up an external hard drive or SSD to store a massive amount of the wife's pictures?

TIA.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20322 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly! Attach any usb connected external drive and it's recognized quickly.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20322 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post