SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer disposal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer disposal? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
On a firearm-related website, you ask how to dispose of a perfectly-good target?

Try Best Buy as noted. Sadly, our community’s recycle center closed this past year. Though Waste Mgmt picks up recycle items from our curb, that independent community center accepted far more types of items than does Waste.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
If you had a computer that was no long needed or died, etc. What would you do with it or to it?

And taking it to staples, office max, or donating it, etc. is not what they want to do from what I can tell.

Ideas on what to do? Thanks

We are "encouraged" to take the electronic stuff we no longer want to a particular shed at our landfill. I understand they give/sell the stuff to some kind of re-cycler.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
.223 55gr ball will punch nice holes in a dual-platter hard drive. .45ACP ball will not. After that: Tannerite.

A couple of years ago I used my new P320 45 to destroy three hardrives with double taps.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t pull the drives. I open the case and use a drill to put holes in it and then off to our village when then have electronic recycling

Here they frown on using a 556 for data removal

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I was burning some brush. Took my old one and tossed it in. Then after that picked up all the leftovers that didn't melt and threw in the recycle bin.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trash can. I dont want it ground up and shipped to some 3rd world country, to end up in a trash heap , with children getting poisoned and burned using soldering irons, acids, mercury and other chemicals recovering silver and other metals.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
.223 55gr ball will punch nice holes in a dual-platter hard drive. .45ACP ball will not. After that: Tannerite.

357sig will.

I don't doubt it. The .45 went through one side of the case and the first platter but was stopped by the second one.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post