SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A hope for Lyme disease? New vaccine targets ticks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A hope for Lyme disease? New vaccine targets ticks. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife got it gardening in our yard.

She had the classic bullseye rash and was confirmed with a blood test.

A course of antibiotics and she was fine.

I would not mind a classic type vaccine.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
This thread somehow reminds me of another...
Yep, the same Meredith Wadman.

The overlooked superpower of mRNA vaccines

By Meredith Wadman, Jul. 28, 2021

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...480077384#3480077384

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
There currently is no vaccine for Lyme.
LYMErix was pulled from the market due to "autoimmune side effects"--class action lawsuits.

Current diagnosis of Lyme is by antibody titers--which take a while to become positive.

Lot of hocus-pocus treatments out there. Strict criteria for the diagnosis of Lyme disease was implemented. Bad disease--early treatment is best. Typical treatment is identify bulls eye rash-treat with antibiotics.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
No reason not to take doxycyline if you even *think* you *might* have been bitten by a deer tick or have Lyme Disease.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
mRNA vaccine could prevent other tickborne illnesses

For up to 3 months. Then boosters are required. [/Sarcasm]

Wink

Not to mention Myocarditis, autoimmune issues, etc... Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Covid jab also can prevent Alzheimers
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Someone got their wires crossed. The Flu vaccine was felt to POSSIBLY delay the onset of Alzheimers. There was correlation but not causation. It seems the media screws up medical reporting in a BIG way. Clearly lots more research is needed before any reccomendation is made.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
No reason not to take doxycyline if you even *think* you *might* have been bitten by a deer tick or have Lyme Disease.

Indeed.

I’ve known two people cured from Lyme disease. Lots of antibiotics.

One of them had phenomenal access to resources, just not understanding on how to apply it. Bed-ridden woman for nearly 10 years, up and about now for the past 7.

My mother during World War II is one of the first civilians ever to get penicillin. She was a young child dying of Rocky Mtn spotted tick fever. Only the military at the time had access to penicillin.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I have suffered from Lyme disease, along with serious related health issues, for three years, fourteen months of which saw me receiving IV antibiotics four times a week for fourteen months. (Yes, months-- not days or weeks.) So I would love to see Lyme disease removed from the face of the earth.

But I'm apprehensive about a "vaccine" that does not target a pathogen but instead significantly alters ticks themselves and then returns them to nature. What could possibly go wrong?

If you have flulike symptoms that do not go away in a week or two, find an "infectious diseases" physician who has a particular interest in Lyme disease. (Be wary of "Lyme literate" practitioners. I could write a lot about this, but feel free to email me.)

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

Indeed.

I’ve known two people cured from Lyme disease. Lots of antibiotics.

One of them had phenomenal access to resources, just not understanding on how to apply it. Bed-ridden woman for nearly 10 years, up and about now for the past 7.

My mother during World War II is one of the first civilians ever to get penicillin. She was a young child dying of Rocky Mtn spotted tick fever. Only the military at the time had access to penicillin.

Wow, that's incredible. A real slice of groundbreaking American history right there.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
How you gonna get the deer to line up for their shots? Will we need to require vaccination passports for all wild life?

Someone should organize an event targeted at super woke wildlife lovers, you know, the type who cry about animals and trees but never stepped one foot into the woods a single day of their life. Give them three syringes, a bag lunch with one bottle of water in one of those grade school shoestring backpacks, and tell them not to come out until they have used all three syringes on three separate deer. And the winner will go on live local TV as their town hero. Yea, they would line up, but they must sign a waiver before you cut them loose. Tell them deer love swamps wherever they may be found (which is true), and that deer travel at night (which is also true), so the best chance of finding a deer to inject is during the night while walking around in in a random pattern to maximize the chances of bumping into them.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Other than resistance. Wink

Posts: 20102 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post