SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rehab for a stroke victim
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rehab for a stroke victim Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It depends on how close you are. My wife's dad suffered a stroke, she and her siblings took turns massaging his legs and arms to stimulate blood flow. Also, encouraging him to walk.

When talking, be calming and have lots of patience as they get easily frustrated. Their brain is still going but it's having difficulty to control their body in terms of speech and communication.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Studies going back years show that a stroke patient who listens to classical music, Chopin in particular, have better recoveries. Playing it so their brain can hear and process the music has a demonstrated therapeutic effect. Chopin's music is particularly written in such a way.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Studies going back years show that a stroke patient who listens to classical music, Chopin in particular, have better recoveries. Playing it so their brain can hear and process the music has a demonstrated therapeutic effect. Chopin's music is particularly written in such a way.

I’m interested in the science behind that. Off to search the innerwebs

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29716 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para - my comment disappeared, I can only use my left hand to type, so, I will type it again in a few minutes.
I too suffered 2 serious strokes on Sept 7th and Sept 8th this year.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an occlusion stroke, this is typically caused by plaque breaking off from the inside of an artery. My recommendation is to take a quality supplement that over time dissolves plaque. This is more of a preventative product, not like a clot buster drug which is for immediate help.

One thing that can help tremendously is having a mechanical device that physically moves limbs on the problem side. This stimulates nerves to grow, and make new neural connections that act as a "work around" to the damaged area of the brain.

One such device is used for persons who have had knee surgery. The leg is elevated, and an electric motor moves the lower leg for several hours per day. For knees, this is to help the tendons and ligament heal with the fibers oriented the correct direction.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Good for you para, stopping by, engaging him with lighter conversation while his brain is working it out will be good, the natural instinct is to try and help them finish thoughts and sentences, and as several said, let him try and then fill it in when he asks. Imagine reading would be good if he's into it, or as suggested, watching movies with subtitles, since you are into classic films, perhaps he is as well.

My grandfather had a stroke, he was very articulate, mathmatical, GM at a car dealership, active and lost his speach and use of the right side.

After about a year he kept wanting to drive, as my grandmother didn't, Dad went back to their home, had him drive his car around and he did well all left sided. Dad bought him a used 4 door Malibu and he drove it up to having the second stroke, we figure it added a few years to his life.

These things take time, but being there an support is key, and having a lot of patience with him trying to communicate...

Posts: 23515 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any experience with rehab, but as a longtime EMT, may I suggest using the phrase, “stroke patient,” rather than “victim.” Reason being, he’s receiving care now.

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even clear out here in the sticks ,we have a half a dozen
Programs, support groups,organizations and charitable teams that help with what you/ he are experiencing.

Meet with and talk to the people who do this Dailey .

some offer a two or three day seminar for a few.

Heck even the local Senior Center could offer contacts and local web sites..

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54678 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post