SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here’s to another 20 years (at least) in my Grandfather’s Silverado Z71!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here’s to another 20 years (at least) in my Grandfather’s Silverado Z71!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
It’s actually only 19 years by model year but it was one of the first 2000s so it was built in 1999.
My grandfather bought it almost brand new in 2000 it was demo with less than 1,000 miles and his first 4wd truck. This one replaced an 89 Silverado extended cab 2wd with the upgraded factory equalized cassette player. That got passed down to my brother and I so we wouldn’t bother him to borrow his new truck. Of course being the best grandfather possible not even a year after buying the truck he found out my brother and I were planning a camping trip to the mountains of Colorado. He did not wanting us taking the trip in the 89 2wd so he told us to take his new truck! Fast forward about 12 years, Sadly age does it’s thing and about 7 years ago now the dimentia started to really take over and gramps was no longer safe to drive. The man had one truck or another for nearly 70 years so granny would still drive him around in it from time to time and my mom drove it in the bad winter weather for the 4wd but sat too much in the garage granted but still sat. 2 years ago it came time to start transferring property as my grandparents still own their childhood properties with my grandfathers still having the house on it. I am the closest to the property and have the most interest in using it so I was put in charge of the estate and get the truck most of the year since it is quite useful around the family property. Mom still gets it in the winter but she got herself an Explorer so 4wd is taken care of for her.
Though it is a Chevy and Chevy trucks are known best for their piss poor pinch welds on the rocker that just welcome moisture and breed rust.
This summer around 94k miles the rust finally showed itself.

This truck has always been great to us. Only things outside standard maintenance that have been done is the 4wd selector switch had to be replaced, the A/C was replaced this summer, and all the hard brake lines have been replaced thanks to those rusting on Chevys too.
I love driving this truck and thankfully gramps is still with us I think of him every time I drive it knowing he won’t always be with us. My boys love riding in it and I look forward to them driving it some day.
But that rust had to be stopped. I wanted it done right no slip on cover rockers but actual new rockers and cab corners. Took it a few places and was quoted $2800-$3400. Boy wanted it done but did not really have the spare cash for that. I was talking with my cousin and my grandma and grandpa have always been good to him and he knows what the truck means to our family so he offered to do it for $800. Not much over parts and paint supplies. Could not pass that offer up.
Got the truck back today and man does it look good!!!!!!!
A little late for good pictures tonight of the rockers themselves so I’ll get some tomorrow but he did a great job. Matched the 20 year old paint great. There is a slight texture to the paint below the mouldings as he coated the new rockers and cab corners with bedliner before painting to better protect against future rust.
But here is a shot of the truck a couple months back before he started working on it.

And at some point the outerhousing of the foglights have popped off so ordered some complete new ones tonight.

To me and my boys it is much more than just a truck and plan to have it for as long as possible.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go, keeping a nice (keepsake) ride in duty!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

A buddy of mine has a 2001 Silverado and it is still running strong.

Great truck.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Looking good Black. That is a sweet looking truck. I have a 2001 regular cab, long box with 205,000 plus miles on it. Bought it brand spanking new. Still runs like a retired champ. Not a 4x4.I've had a new tranny, brake line & fuel line put in. I am looking at newer trucks now, but in no rush. My rear bumper has a lot of rust on it as well as the rockers also. This pic was taken back in Maryland some years back. Hope you don't mind me posting this up Black. Mine doesn't look now where as good as yours.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7651 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The rust spot is very common for that year model. Up till recently I had an 02 Tahoe and it rusted out on both sides there. I had a couple of body shops look at it, and they told me they could fix it, but it would likely rust back out.

The other place I had problems with was water in the turn signal fixtures up front. Seems over 5 years I replaced them twice.

Other than that, I bought new because I wanted some creature comforts.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I bought that exact same truck (different color) back then. Sold it five years later but I always liked that truck and it was fairly maintenance free.

Good luck with yours.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was original owner of an '01 Silverado in that color. I drove it for 13.5 years and sold it to move to Canada. My buddy bought it from me (immaculate condition), I gave him a smokin' deal, he drove it 4 years, and just recently sold it for what he paid me.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The rust spot is very common for that year model. Up till recently I had an 02 Tahoe and it rusted out on both sides there. I had a couple of body shops look at it, and they told me they could fix it, but it would likely rust back out.

The other place I had problems with was water in the turn signal fixtures up front. Seems over 5 years I replaced them twice.

Not just that model year. That whole generation and the one prior. The rockers are pinchwelded underneath and the water collects under there.

I noticed moisture today in the driver’s side front signal.
Are they tough to remove? I had the same issue in my Explorer and I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom corner or the housing to allow just a touch of airflow and never had the issue again and was going to try the same with this.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I had the same truck as the original poster. (2000, Same color, 4 door extended cab) It was my uncles that passed away. I had like 250k miles on it and just sold it last year. It was a great truck, damn near maintenance free besides oil changes, filters, flushes & brakes. Only thing was I was having issues with the brake system - the brake light and ABS lights would stay on. Its a common problem for that body and was an ABS module that was $2000 to replace. (There is a cheap replacement iternal part if you look into it) Also, the clear coat was finally coming off. Thats when I decided it was time to let her go. Posted it for $5000 on Craigslist and sold it full price on the 2nd day.

As far as the fog/headlights - they are common to fog up or get condinsation inside. I bought new aftermarket ones from Certifit for like $35/set. ($70 for all 4 new ones) Installation is a breeze. Theres a long pin that holds them in place. Rotate it 90* and pull straight out. Unscrew the bulbs then the lenses come right out.

If you have any questions, I was very familar with my truck and would be happy to advise any concerns I had dealt with. 2 other common things I had were the A/C blower motor wouldnt work on speed 3 out of 5. Then 2 & 4 quit, so it only worked on high or low. It was a like $30 resistor to replace under the dash. Also, the daytime running lights also burn out. I ended up replacing the numerous bulbs with an LED bulb and I assume the lower working voltage never blew it out again. As a heads up - when buying the lenses, they came with new bulb sockets. The old DRL sockets were burned out and slightly melted. I cut off the OEM ones and soldered in the new ones. With the LED bulbs, they were good to go.

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I always thought that it was a handsome era of truck, especially with the rounded front headlights/quarters vs the refreshed generation that was more square.

Hard to beat a GM small block V8

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have any questions, I was very familar with my truck and would be happy to advise any concerns I had dealt with. 2 other common things I had were the A/C blower motor wouldnt work on speed 3 out of 5. Then 2 & 4 quit, so it only worked on high or low. It was a like $30 resistor to replace under the dash.

If you don’t mind sharing a little more info as I actually have this issue.

I did new U Joints other the summer and she rides super smooth.
Think I may swap out the Bilsteins for Fox shocks this year.

She is also plagued with the Chevy start up chatter and soft brake pedal.

————————————————

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I sold my 2000 Z71 in 2014. It had 273k miles, a dented front fender, and the ABS module was out. and I got $5300 for it on Craigslist.

Trucks don't really rust down here, though.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Not just that model year. That whole generation and the one prior. The rockers are pinchwelded underneath and the water collects under there.

I noticed moisture today in the driver’s side front signal.
Are they tough to remove? I had the same issue in my Explorer and I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom corner or the housing to allow just a touch of airflow and never had the issue again and was going to try the same with this.

Headlights and turn signals are super simple to remove. There is one pin to pull and they rotate out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post