SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homemade fireworks anyone?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade fireworks anyone? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
play with fire and eventually you'll get burned

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Fireworks are pretty legal around here, especially with all the native reservations selling the hell out of that Chinese stuff.

Even though we live with millions of evergreens and deciduous trees, nothing like sending big old motors up into the sky! It’s so wet here nothing ever burns except for the bozo lighting that shit off in the house.

One of the most phenomenal experiences I get to enjoy each year is a huge view of everybody (mostly) on the waterfront lighting off their fireworks on Fourth of July and New Year’s Eve. A lot of people spend a lot of money.

It’s an incredible sight to see literally thousands of individual firework shows. And the sounds … Incroyable!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Well not all laws need to be obeyed in kooky king county. Heck, the police won’t even investigate sex crimes now. Before you ticket somebody you got to consider the color of their skin?

I look up RCW is it appears that it is certainly legal during certain times in certain locations on certain days.

I lived for 10 years here in unincorporated properties and fireworks were absolutely legal. The cops only showed up if you were celebrating a couple of days to early.

Ymmv Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two words: Tater Cannon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago lived in a apartment complex with a swimming pool in the middle.
Two of my neighbors emptied about 15 M-80's into a jar, drilled a hole in the lid,
taped the fuses together. Put it down the concrete steps to go under the pool.
It was as loud as a mortar shell at a fireworks show. Police and firetruck came.
They never figured it out. Now this wasn't me, I was just a spectator.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Well not all laws need to be obeyed in kooky king county. Heck, the police won’t even investigate sex crimes now. Before you ticket somebody you got to consider the color of their skin?

I look up RCW is it appears that it is certainly legal during certain times in certain locations on certain days.

I lived for 10 years here in unincorporated properties and fireworks were absolutely legal. The cops only showed up if you were celebrating a couple of days to early.

Ymmv Wink

Live here for nearly 70 years ... and LEO for nearly 40 years ... so think I "git this one". Legal certain times of the year means "by permit" such as community events.

Why co-mingle sex crimes and skin color with the fireworks laws ... ? Kinda off topic.

Larger point about silly laws and compliance. Not off topic one bit.

I’ll defer to your LEO experience in the area.

But we all know the reality of what happens on July 4 here and it’s just not that big of a deal. Apparently the laws mean nothing. Just like sexual assault.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Apologies to the OP… This was a fun thread.

I’ll let myself out…

~Robert A. Heinlein

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
When I was kid my friends and I contributed a bunch of fire crackers to the cause. We broke them apart to get the black powder out, poured in all in a sheet of newspaper, rolled it tightly leaving a fuse sticking out, then wrapped that up tight with duct tape. We put it under a coffee can and set it off in the parking lot of a local pizza place. When it went off it was a lot bigger bang that we expected! Never did find the can but the cops showed up shortly, of course we didn't know anything about it. Big Grin

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Apologies to the OP… This was a fun thread.

I’ll let myself out…

That's ok. Who didn't do stupid things when you're young.
I didn't grow up until my 30's. I only made a couple of those
oxygen bombs about ten years ago just to show my kids.
I figured I would get flamed by a few.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Do you guys realize that most of the "fireworks" we made would be a felony today?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Do you guys realize that most of the "fireworks" we made would be a felony today?

It's a different world. My friend grew up in rural PA, would bring his rifle to school
during deer season. Nobody batted an eye. sorry for the thread drift.

posted Hide Post
We had bottle rocket fights, A few roman candle fights, decided to stop those.
make a mudball, put a blackcat in it and try to get to blowup over your friends head.
Ahhh, good times.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yikes.

PLEASE don't make your own explosive devices, people. Legal issues aside, most folks simply don't have the expertise to do so safely. There are TONS of instructions and videos on the internet, but TONS of them are full of bad ideas.

Granted, back in the day I did plenty of dumb shit with homemade thermite, flash powder, and a bunch of other items.

Mom: What's that hole melted into the road in front of the driveway?
Teenage me: Lightning strike?

I do this stuff for a living, and I know better now. At least I did enough research back then that I can still count to ten using my hands.

You want an eye opener? Type "explosives injuries" into a Google Image search.

JUST SAY NO to amateur explosives hour.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Yikes.

PLEASE don't make your own explosive devices, people. Legal issues aside, most folks simply don't have the expertise to do so safely. There are TONS of instructions and videos on the internet, but TONS of them are full of bad ideas.

Granted, back in the day I did plenty of dumb shit with homemade thermite, flash powder, and a bunch of other items.

Mom: What's that hole melted into the road in front of the driveway?
Teenage me: Lightning strike?

I do this stuff for a living, and I know better now. At least I did enough research back then that I can still count to ten using my hands.

You want an eye opener? Type "explosives injuries" into a Google Image search.

JUST SAY NO to amateur explosives hour.

I get your point, I was bringing back memories from decades ago.
You know those little paper things you throw to the ground and they make a little pop?
My cousin was making them twenty times that size and one blew up in his face.

posted Hide Post
Myself and a couple of pals that had a drivers license drove past the Missouri border from Iowa and bought a bunch of Silver Salutes, M80's and the large Torpedos. Upon return we built an oversized slingshot and were bombarding our water tower with the torpedos and shooting Silver Salutes and M 80's over our small town. If you hit the water tower above the water line it would ring for a while. Never had any luck hitting the local church bell, which was probably just as well. The local cop never did figure out where they were launched from. Good times in small town Iowa in the mid sixties.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Me and a buddy used to generate hydrogen and try to explode (or at least burn) it. We could never get enough concentrated to have much more than a pop.

But I quit that kind of nonsense when I was about 15 or 16.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
60 plus years ago would take a metal baking soda can with a sealable snap in lid and after placing several "carbide rocks" and a couple drops of water and place the cap back on the can and place a match in front of the small pin hole in the cap and get ready for a loud bang.... replace cap and mayde another drop of water and repeat the process...........Carbide rocks were the same that coal miners used in their head worn lights while under ground and very old and early auotmobile headlamps............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I get your point, I was bringing back memories from decades ago.
You know those little paper things you throw to the ground and they make a little pop?
My cousin was making them twenty times that size and one blew up in his face.

From what I recall, those typically use silver fulminate. And by "use", I mean they have grains of sand inside them that have a small, light coating of silver fulminate. How did your cousin come out on the other side of that incident?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
flesheatingvirus,

Did you ever work at EMRTC at Tech?

Back in the TERA days they would set off a blast in the morning, usually at ten or eleven. Us "townies" were used to them, just apart of the day.

One morning at the car dealership I worked at we had a snowbird who's car was in the shop. He and his wife were walking around and coming in every few minutes to check on the status. Well at eleven off goes a blast, air concussion and sometimes the ground would have a small shake which that day it did.

He came up to me at the parts counter and visibly shaken asked me "What was that?" Without missing a beat as I'm looking up a part, the reply was "Eleven o'clock".

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post