SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's largest free standing aquarium bursts releasing 1500 fish into hotel lobby (article + video)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's largest free standing aquarium bursts releasing 1500 fish into hotel lobby (article + video) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Click-bait title there MDS: I'm sure I'm NOT the only one looking for actual video of the aquarium bursting you seemingly invited us in here to view... Wink

Naw, I haven't seen any video circulating of the moment it burst... but there is video of the aftermath at the bottom of the posted article.

I'm betting though, that there is at least some hotel lobby security camera recording of the moment it went from being really dry to really wet that some employees are going to get to watch. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
It’s probably acrylic. No idea how thick especially with the cylindrical design. By way of comparison, our rectangular aquarium holds 644,000 gallons and the windows vary from 4” to 6”

Eek you have a 644,000 gallon aquarium? That's impressive! Do you scuba dive into it while cleaning?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a great idea. What could go wrong?

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That was an impressive aquarium being all glass and that height and size.

I want to see a video of it failing. I have to believe there is some out there.

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
It’s probably acrylic. No idea how thick especially with the cylindrical design. By way of comparison, our rectangular aquarium holds 644,000 gallons and the windows vary from 4” to 6”

Eek you have a 644,000 gallon aquarium? That's impressive! Do you scuba dive into it while cleaning?

Most large aquariums have the glass cleaned by divers. I've been in the Baltimore aquarium on SCUBA before although it was years ago. Always fun dives. Especially when you get to dive with some of the larger playful animals.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lol sorry. It’s not mine. I’m a volunteer there. Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga and yes we dive it to clean.

Posts: 777 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Most large aquariums have the glass cleaned by divers. I've been in the Baltimore aquarium on SCUBA before although it was years ago. Always fun dives. Especially when you get to dive with some of the larger playful animals.

quote:
Lol sorry. It’s not mine. I’m a volunteer there. Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga and yes we dive it to clean.

How cool is that! Cool

I don't know whether you guys posted about your experiences as volunteer divers at aquariums and I just missed it... but, if you haven't mentioned it before, I'd encourage you both to take some photos of your volunteer dives at these commercial aquariums and posting about it. I didn't even know this was a thing, and I'm betting there are other members who don't either, and would maybe find it as interesting and cool as I do.

It really would be interesting to hear about your volunteer dive experiences.

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
This one was cleaned by three divers every day.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

How cool is that! Cool

I don't know whether you guys posted about your experiences as volunteer divers at aquariums and I just missed it... but, if you haven't mentioned it before, I'd encourage you both to take some photos of your volunteer dives at these commercial aquariums and posting about it. I didn't even know this was a thing, and I'm betting there are other members who don't either, and would maybe find it as interesting and cool as I do.

I also dove to clean the fish tanks. As staff, not volunteer. Not much to say. Our tanks were cold water, we as staff typically drew straws as to who HAD to get wet that day, we had our fav fish and fish we hated, we had our fav volunteers, and I personally didn’t particularly enjoy it or hate it. It was time out my otherwise just as busy day, and now I had to shower out, too. The good part was you at least got to “dive”.
The tricky part was on a regular day off, out shore diving, if someone approached us to ask what us were doing, I automatically fell into the education spiel, whereas my husband would just look at me and hop in. Big Grin Old habits die hard.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5340 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still shot from live cam in Ocean Journey tank at Tennessee Aquarium. It’s a blast and best diving in Tennessee

Posts: 777 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

quote:

How cool is that! Cool

I also dove to clean the fish tanks. As staff, not volunteer. Not much to say. Our tanks were cold water, we as staff typically drew straws as to who HAD to get wet that day, we had our fav fish and fish we hated, we had our fav volunteers, and I personally didn’t particularly enjoy it or hate it. It was time out my otherwise just as busy day, and now I had to shower out, too. The good part was you at least got to “dive”.
The tricky part was on a regular day off, out shore diving, if someone approached us to ask what us were doing, I automatically fell into the education spiel, whereas my husband would just look at me and hop in. Big Grin Old habits die hard.

Wait, you too? So now we've got at least three members involved in an activity I didn't know existed. I have a couple family members who used to dive, and while I don't, it's only because my recreational time is already limited, and there are only so many hours to try to both maintain some semblance of proficiency and enjoy what I'm already involved with. Also, I live in a landlocked state and while dive opportunities do exist, they are some what limited. But I really would like to try driving, and I can see how diving in these giant aquariums would open up some dive opportunities to folks looking to maintain their skills, but don't have the travel time or money for a 5 day trip to the Caribbean, and you get to play with some cool critters while pitching in and helping out. That just seems like a nifty way to dive!

I'm going to make the same suggestion, and encourage you to post about your experiences doing this.

I've got several questions about this but, besides not drifting this thread too far off course, I just think that what you guys do in diving these aquariums is cool and worthy of a separate thread of its own. Cool

But, if you post on this we need pics... lots and lots of pics. Wink

posted Hide Post
Separate thread is a good idea. Ask away. I’ll answer if I can