SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Uh, aren't Robins supposed to show up in the Spring?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh, aren't Robins supposed to show up in the Spring? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
An ornithologist once told us that sometimes older male robins will stay the winter here in southwest Michigan to have the first shot at the returning females in the spring. It is pretty uncommon to see Sandhill Cranes at this time of year but we've seen several. Hopefully they're not freezing their asses off, as it is -10 degrees this morning.

Posts: 773 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
I've had a pair hanging out here, NE Indiana, for about a week now.
10 degrees out, about 16" of snow on the ground. Eating Crab Apples.
Seed in the backyard feeder, meal worms on the way.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Had a male robin in our yard the other day, a little earlier than expected.

My folks used to have a few hawthorn trees where a few robins would stick around in the winter (northern Kentucky) and feast on the berries.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
7 degrees outside now. While we had some yesterday, I'll have to wonder if they'll make it. Probably I guess.

Saw one a couple days ago and he was looking pretty sluggish. Hopping around slowly on the ice, no attempt to fly. Temps in the teens, I think he was slowly freezing. He would move just out of my way if I approached and wouldn't let me catch him. He finally hid under a bush. I threw out a hand full if bird seed where I saw him last. Nothing else to do, hope he made it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hundreds of robins and cedar wax wings eating the berries from my pyracantha. The stripped them of all berries.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have Robins that stay through the winter. Then when Spring comes for a couple of weeks we see an increase of ten fold of them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post