SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Staying by the Stuff" - a Biblical sermon (audio clip)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Staying by the Stuff" - a Biblical sermon (audio clip) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Every Saturday afternoon a small local radio station plays several different Christian church programs, over 30 minute time slots, with no commercial ad breaks during the programs.

In some cases a minister will give unrelated sermons each week, while others will give a 30 minute portion of a longer sermon, and at least one will give sermons that are part of a longer lecture series based on the same Biblical scriptures and concepts ... with one exception...

...Each and every Saturday, in the 15:00-15:30 time slot, they play the same exact sermon. I'm not sure if it happens to be a favorite sermon of the station program director, or maybe the station is too cheap to buy another sermon for that time slot. I just dunno.

I don't listen to these church programs religiously Wink, as in every Saturday, but I've caught this same exact sermon, whether in its entirety, or just portions of it, probably 100+ times now over the last several years.

You'd expect that, by now, I'd turn the sermon off or change stations when it comes on. A couple weeks ago I caught myself sitting in my truck in the library parking lot, just so I could finish listening to the last 5 minutes of it, before going in.

I should be tired of it and never want to hear it again...but it strikes a chord with me and I just plain like it.

I realize that Biblical sermons are a personal thing and not everyone will like the same sermons or the same presentations. I recently sent this sermon to a family member and, while he liked it well enough, he not only thought it should've been bolstered by additional scripture, but he seemed to take a completely different meaning from it than I did, believing it was about the sins or dangers of wealth. But that's not my takeaway from it.

The name of the sermon is Staying by the Stuff. It's based on scripture from 1 Samuel, given by Dr. Charles Stanley.

I don't necessarily agree with every single word spoken, but I still find it a meaningful sermon.

quote:
“Be God’s man in God’s place doing God’s work in God’s way.”

@ 19 minute sermon
https://www.intouch.org/listen...staying-by-the-stuff

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not listened to it yet but I will. I liked your story where a family member got something different from the sermon than you did.

I think that is one of the miracles of scripture and sermons. God always has a way of making sure that people get what they need from the message.

My Dad is a pastor and he is constantly amazed when people come and tell him what they got from the message and how different they are.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
I have not listened to it yet but I will. I liked your story where a family member got something different from the sermon than you did.

I think that is one of the miracles of scripture and sermons. God always has a way of making sure that people get what they need from the message.

My Dad is a pastor and he is constantly amazed when people come and tell him what they got from the message and how different they are.

I couldn't agree more. A couple years ago my sister gave me a very nice leather bound daily devotional, that includes scripture. My intention was to start my day by reading that day's message. I did it for a few days, and then got busy and distracted, and then it became a sporadic reading...so, starting on New Years day this year, I started reading it again. I've had a few days that I've missed but then double back and read... but, for the most part, I've been good about reading it each day, in addition to my regular Bible reading.

Reading that devotional, I'm regularly amazed at how that day's message and supporting scripture speak to me. Almost as if the message and scripture were custom tailored to what troubled me, or what I was feeling, and what I needed to know and hear that day.

It truly is a miracle.

Does your Dad have any video or audio sermons that I could watch or listen to?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great message indeed.

Thanks for posting it.

Silent

Posts: 1030 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
That was good. Thx for posting it.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post