SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help needed with Spider Identification
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed with Spider Identification Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
You'll need a better picture (different camera/lens or getting closer) to hope for a definitive ID. Many, many species of spider out there. Also a location would help with ID.

Location is Mississippi Gulf Coast. I think my friend has arachnophobia.

Looking through Spiders of Mississippi I don't see a great match with both your description and picture, but of the ones listed, there's a possibility yours might be a color variant of this orb weaver?

quote:
This species is relatively variable in color and sometimes pattern, but is most commonly seen sporting a rusty-red or golden orange color. The orb-shaped web is very large and is often constructed on buildings and other man-made structures, especially near outdoor lights. This species is most conspicuous in late summer and early fall.

The original picture doesn't really show the 'black with two orange spots' thing very well but it does give a good sense of leg length-to-body proportions, and this doesn't look quite right.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been encountering the same spider here over the past couple of weeks and have not been able to identify it. They are small with a couple orange spots on their back-quite striking in appearance. I have had one build a web between the steering wheel and seat of my atv, and another between the rearview mirror and door of my truck. We have many, many black widows in our barns and this does not resemble them in any way.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:,,,

Was it a "Cheater Slick" bike?

"Stingray" bike with the large square profile rear tire and no tread. Look like a racing slick with raised white letters and said "Cheater Slick".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been encountering the same spider here over the past couple of weeks and have not been able to identify it. They are small with a couple orange spots on their back-quite striking in appearance. I have had one build a web between the steering wheel and seat of my atv, and another between the rearview mirror and door of my truck. We have many, many black widows in our barns and this does not resemble them in any way.

Thanks. You are in the same region of the country and that provides an exact description of the spider. They are building webs in my Indian Hawthorne bushes. It is good to know that we are not talking black widows here. If I get a chance I will try and get closer to take a better picture.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Just throwing it out there; it's poisonous if you bite it and it hurts you, it's venomous if it bites you and hurts you.

Most all spiders have some venom, but not all will do much harm.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:,,,

Was it a "Cheater Slick" bike?

"Stingray" bike with the large square profile rear tire and no tread. Look like a racing slick with raised white letters and said "Cheater Slick".

It was similar, but it was a Huffy. I was too common stock for a fancy schmancy Cheater Slick.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post