SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoke Detector False Alarm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke Detector False Alarm Login/Join 
Banned
posted
My bedroom detector went off last night. Not the low battery chirping - the actual alarm to indicate a fire. After searching the house for a minute or two, there was no smoke/fire, and the detector stopped alarming.

I went back to bed, and the same thing happened about an hour later. At that point I disconnected and took out the battery, knowing the house is safe.

Should I just be safe and replace the unit? Should I replace the other 3 while I'm at it?

The units are about 6.5 years old.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes replace, do you know which one it was? Who is the manufacture? Do you have a part number from the back of the unit?

If it is kidde, they are really helpful on figuring with unit(s) are causing the problem, and will send you a free replacement based on date code stamped on the back of the unit. Some of their units are 5 year warranty, some are 10 year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Yes replace, do you know which one it was? Who is the manufacture? Do you have a part number from the back of the unit?

If it is kidde, they are really helpful on figuring with unit(s) are causing the problem, and will send you a free replacement based on date code stamped on the back of the unit. Some of their units are 5 year warranty, some are 10 year.

It's a Kidde, model i2060A. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They have 10 year warranty. They should just mail you a replacement. It will just be the unit usually and you reuse the bracket and plug in. I'd suggest if you are comfortable with it, checking the connections in the electrical box for tight connections and paint on the wires (with circuit turned off). If there is paint on the wires use a pair of linesman's pliers and grip semi tight on the wires and twist clockwise. If you don't have linesman's pliers just use wire brush to clean paint off (if present) and replace wire nuts and make sure all connections are tight. SDs fail often times from loose connections, especially on the neutral wire (white), or it could just have been bad luck.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I clean mine every year,blow it out with the air compressor..

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post