SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How NOT to hunt black bear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How NOT to hunt black bear Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Firearms were invented so we don't have to throw pointy sticks at things bigger than us.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Armed only with a sharp stick and a learning disorder.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The luck to IQ ratio there seems very, very high.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Whew! I can almost fee the chill in the air and smell the woods! Luckily he's ok. Back in 1985 I hunted on Kimberly Clark property near Lake Nipigon, Ontario. The landscape was very similar. At dark I was on a similar area with an elevated road. I was down in the ditch like this guy. As I walked back and forth below the road I could see the silhouettes of several bears sniffing for me and following me back and forth. My friends drove up to get me just as I was about to start shooting. This video made me break into a sweat.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Several years ago while bow hunting a sow and three cubs appeared quickly. As I was vacating the area I stepped on a branch and it snapped. The sow instantly when up on her rear legs and was sniffing the air profusely trying to figure out where I was. I was 60ish yards from them. I was able to high tail it out of there. It was an adrenaline rush for sure. I can relate. He is pretty lucky.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19227 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This video seems apropos for the bow hunter:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/tdhQWkTl1PQ

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Never had the urge to kill a bear. We coexist with them here quite easily. We keep garbage and stock foods in a building, so no issues.

I'd never eat one, the times I tried the meat it was terrible. To shoot the thing simply for the hide is IMHO a sad end for the animal. I'm a hunter, but if you kill it, it should be eaten.

This guy was LUCKY.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
He is lucky it was only a black bear and would probably be dead otherwise.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I remember years and years ago seeing a film of Fred Bear hunting a Kodiak up in Alaska. He had the good sense to not only hide behind a huge boulder, but to have a guy with a big caliber rifle standing by for assistance. As I recall he shot the bear as it past him about 10 yards away. He got it through the heart, but it ran at least a couple of hundred yards down the river bank before it fell. If it had turned on him, it obviously would have had enough strength and rage to do him in even if the rifle got involved. Bow hunting for bear? No, nothing I'd want to do.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Lots of people do eat them. Especially fall bear. Make smokies out of them. Pretty tasty. They are a predator and kill and eat better tasting animals like deer fawms One of their favorites. So FN it is not like they are not worthy of a hunt by any means.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Lots of people do eat them. Especially fall bear. Make smokies out of them. Pretty tasty. They are a predator and kill and eat better tasting animals like deer fawms One of their favorites. So FN it is not like they are not worthy of a hunt by any means.
My Alaska friends said Spring bear tasted better since they just woke up from hibernating as opposed to fall bear which has been eating a metric shit ton of fish.

I've eaten bear but it was bear chili or bear tacos so I can't confirm whether or not spring bear is better.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Nope, just the opposite. Spend the summer eating berries and fattening up. In hibernation they survive by nourishing them self's on the fat they put on during the fall. Maybe you misunderstood him or Alaska black bear are different?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nope, just the opposite. Spend the summer eating berries and fattening up. In hibernation they survive by nourishing them self's on the fat they put on during the fall. Maybe you misunderstood him
Not a chance. I lived in Alaska for 5 years and this was multiple convos not a single convo.

Have you lived in an area where salmon make runs up rivers? Bears are omnivores and eat what is available.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am very familiar with how bb taste and the difference in taste and the reason. As I said maybe alaskan bb maybe are different. A bb right out of hibernation is not the ideal one to eat. I am sure of that.

Did you see my comment about bb's love for deer fawns? Yes I know what they eat Roll Eyes

Also, bear jerky is some of the best there is if done right. A guy in Alaska was doing a creel survey at the dock and was handing out some he had made. Best I have ever had.

A traditional (native) long bow maybe?

posted Hide Post
What was the guy (I almost said moron) carrying in the video? It looked like a toy bow & arrow.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We hunted bear with the Smalls and Campbells in the Three Ridges Area which is now Wintergreen. They killed 30+ bears a year.

The meat is just like beef and is good since the bears feed on berries and acorns. Three Ridges is one of the best bear habitats due to the white oak acorn food supply.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Did I see a rubber suction cup fall off the tip of the arrow before the bear charges?

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
It really depends on where you hunt. I hear that fish fed bears are terrible. Spring bears are also on the dicey side, but fall bears can be delicious if they're eating much grass, berries, acorns, etc. I killed a fall bear (Colorado) a couple years back and it was some of the best meat I've had, and I've had many, many elk and deer.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
What was the guy (I almost said moron) carrying in the video? It looked like a toy bow & arrow.

A plain recurve bow of some sort. Extra "sporting" compared to a compound.

Posts: 17198 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post