SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How NOT to hunt black bear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How NOT to hunt black bear Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
What happened there? Charging bear > little puddle > thankful survivor walking away. What am I missing?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know what the guy was doing?

It seems like a chance encounter with the bear. Maybe he should have moved the other way when he originally saw the bear or when it continued to come in his direction, but it is a little hard to get context from a video.

I have encountered black bears on several of occasions, and they just kept going and doing whatever bear thing they were doing. I'd say the closest I ever was to one out in the woods was 60 or 75 yards, and it wasn't moving in my direction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
What happened there? Charging bear > little puddle > thankful survivor walking away. What am I missing?
The guy didn't try to walk away, got his bow in position to shoot, and draws the bow like he's never done it before.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23315 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Does anybody know what the guy was doing?

It seems like a chance encounter with the bear. Maybe he should have moved the other way when he originally saw the bear or when it continued to come in his direction, but it is a little hard to get context from a video.

I have encountered black bears on several of occasions, and they just kept going and doing whatever bear thing they were doing. I'd say the closest I ever was to one out in the woods was 60 or 75 yards, and it wasn't moving in my direction.
I clicked on the embedded video and the YouTube description says:
quote:
I am so happy after this confrontation with a black bear during our spring hunt. No wounds except a bruised elbow and ego where the bear threw me down. Genuinely happy that this was a non fatal or tragic outcome. Proving that the black bear is a wild and unpredictable animal. Again so happy with the outcome.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23315 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
And this is how us canadians milk maple syrup from black bears.

Ok, that was too funny not repost here. Big Grin

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
When in bear country I always make sure my arrows are 10mm or 41 mag. I find they work better than the other arrows...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Maybe he had backup. Originally looked like a feeding stalk (by the bear). Black bears sometimes aren't particularly mad and aren't protecting anything - they're just after an easy snack (no, not your trail mix). Those kind won't go away, and playing dead is not an option unless you really want to be.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post