SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you dealt with tendonitis? Is it really this hard to beat it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you dealt with tendonitis? Is it really this hard to beat it? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've had a case of golfer/tennis elbow for 8 months now. It's better but not completely gone. It can definitely linger for a long time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were my daughter and considering HOW the condition occurred, I would want the MRI done - assuming I could afford the cost. Even top-notch sports doctors have occasionally misdiagnosed athletic injuries.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Too bad you are not near. My son is a DC with two BS in the human sport sciences. Plus a MBA.
Son started with one BS and then in order, PTA, MBA, and second BS and DC together

My docs diagnosed my partial torn bicep tendon with ultra sound imaging after kid said that just by looking and hearing how it happened. Docs wanted me to do tons of PT.

My kid fixed it much quicker. I would have stayed with the kid from the start, but we are 2 hours apart

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I was just diagnosed with this 2 weeks ago. Have had knee problems for a long time. Torn meniscus with arthroscopic surg 20 yrs ago. It was better but have been having significant pain again and automatically assumed it was the same problem. Every time I walked it hurt. Especially going up/down stairs. The hurt was mostly below the patella on top of the Tibia. My experience with tendinitis is that it takes forever to solve the problem. Had it in my elbow from pulling on a rototiller cord. Wore the strap for a long time. Eventually it got better.

My Doc showed me an exercise to do that helps for a short time. Will have to do for a long time I guess. My research noted 6-9 months. I’ll need to step it up and do the stretches more.
Plenty of other exercises on the web but this is the one he showed me to do.

First, warm the area with a hot compress.
Stand with off side arm bracing yourself. Then bring affected side heel up towards buttocks. Reach down and grab ankle, slowly pulling the ankle upwards. Don’t pull too far. Let go and repeat. Best I can tell is the tendons are too tight and need stretched. It will take time. Also said my hamstring will need stretched. I guess part of my problem is sitting too much on hard wooden chairs. Athletes get it from jumping, and landing hard. Common with football, volleyball, and tennis.
This is just my experience. She should follow her Drs recommendations.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
Tendonitis comes from overuse…and normally from over a certain period of time…not from one event.

quote:
Originally posted by Navman316:
Tendonitis (at least for me) has been a repetitive use injury and was not caused by a sudden event.

These are usually true, but not always. From what I've read: Tendinitis can result from a sudden stress movement.

Thing is, though...

quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
[The doctor] also said she has not ordered an MRI because it will cost me a lot of money and every single test she has done on my daughter indicates tendonitis and nothing regarding ACL / MCL or meniscus issues.

This is essentially an educated... guess, based on external examination. She may be right. But without looking inside, you really cannot know.

I'd want to know.

And another thing...

quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Changed from Ibuprofen to 500mg of Naproxen twice per day.

NSAIDs are very hard on the gastrointestinal system and kidneys, and increase the risk of cardiovascular events.

I'm on 800mg, three times daily, following my arthroscopic surgery. As soon as most of the swelling is gone I'll be off that stuff in a flash.

(I don't like drugs. Never have. As my father having been an alcoholic was an example to me of how not to live my life, so too was my mother and her personal pharmacy of medications.)

Again I will suggest at least getting a second opinion from a sports medicine doc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Consider the MRI. It’ll put your mind at rest and give you a firm answer.
Also, I see no harm in continuing your current doc’s rx while getting a second opinion. It may be that by the time you get in, you’ll have completed the 6 week course of action, and can reassess while you consider the advice and recommendations you’ve been given.
Wish your girl well, must be super frustrating to be a young athlete and unable to perform.

(Btw, I did the splits unexpectedly on a wet lawn a couple years ago- pulled my hammy. That took at least 6 months to recover from... but I’m much older, too).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a physical therapist in SWFL. What did the therapist find on evaluation? was there loss of ROM, strength, stability. Are there any structural deficits like genu valgus? And where exactly is her pain? Was there bruising or swelling? All these questions need answers. Patellar tendinitis TYPICALLY comes from repetitive motions but not always. And tendinitis usually occurs from deceleration of forces so if she did a split with her knee pointing mostly upward it probably wouldn't be that. Lots of MDs will come to a fairly accurate conclusion with minimal hands on testing, the therapist should be much more thorough. And usually tendinitis will get better with therapy 50% in the first few weeks. It might take 4-6 weeks to get the last 50%. And don't Google knee pain exercises!

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For point of reference, a MRI may not be that expensive.

I had one done this year for $197. for a shoulder w/o contrast. Was cheaper to just pay cash and not utilize insurance.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post