SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeings 777X Flew for 4 Hours today..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeings 777X Flew for 4 Hours today.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
That is a monster of a passenger aircraft. Saw a video of it lifting off in rain and fog then return for a beautiful landing 4 hours later. Its folding wing tips worked perfect. Cant wait to see one crossing the sky. By chance any Washington Members see the flight today ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming this is the 777x?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes 777X. It is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Local news in OKC reports Boeing will run a number of test flights for the 777X at the old Clinton-Sherman AFB, near the town of Burns Flat OK, pending a signed contract.

This old airport has a 13,500 foot runway. This area is sparsely populated and the skies are pretty much wide open.

They’ve marked the area as a space port due to the huge facilities are in good shape.

I’d link a story but they’re behind a paywall. Here is what I could copy and paste:

Published: Sat, January 11, 2020 1:04 AM Updated: Sat, January 11, 2020 1:21 AM

The Boeing Co. has plans to perform flight tests at a rural Oklahoma airport on two of its commercial jets, including the 737 Max that has been grounded worldwide since March.

Tests will be conducted at the Clinton-Sherman Airport in Burns Flat, about 100 miles west of Oklahoma City. Details of the timeline were discussed Wednesday at a meeting of the Oklahoma Space Industry Development Authority, which operates the airport and its facilities.

State officials were told Boeing wants to be ready to use the airport as early as March, but a specific timeline is not available. A Boeing spokeswoman confirmed the company's plans to use Clinton-Sherman for flight tests, but cited the proprietary nature of the tests in declining to provide any details about the types of aircraft, kinds of tests or any other operations at the airport.

The state doesn't yet have a contract from Boeing to use the airport. The next chance for the airport authority to approve a contract is at its next meeting in late February.

The 737 Max was grounded 10 months ago after two deadly crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia. Aviation regulators blamed on-board software called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, or MCAS, and Boeing has faced criticism for its implementation and training requirements. Since then, the company has suspended deliveries and slowed production.

FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford said work to recertify the Max is being done near Boeing's headquarters near Seattle and suggested Boeing's presence at the Clinton-Sherman airport might be for standard production and readiness tests.

Boeing has also told state officials it wants to perform flight tests on its newest commercial wide-body jet, the 777X. The larger of the two 777X variants, the 777-9, is the longest aircraft of its kind in the world at over 251 feet and can carry 426 passengers. Its two GE9X engines are the biggest and most powerful turbine engines in operation.

Space Industry Development Authority Executive Director Bill Khourie said he expects Boeing to use the airport for more than one month. A fuel provider who spoke at the authority meeting said he is planning for a six-month operation.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I have a video from BFI tower of the 777x and the T-33 chase plane flyby the tower. (I just don’t know how to post it).

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
... By chance any Washington Members see the flight today ?

I didn’t actually see it but I heard it. PAE, where it took off, is only about 10 miles west of me and she flew right above my house and it was low and loud!

Something we don’t usually experience.

I was following the livestream as it took off so it was pretty cool to hear.

Posts: 5083 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is it on Youtube, or do you have a file on your computer?

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
I have a video from BFI tower of the 777x and the T-33 chase plane flyby the tower. (I just don’t know how to post it).

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
David, you might want to put the x in the thread title. Wink

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1PlgNwYeWc

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQSekOGPR0

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Is it on Youtube, or do you have a file on your computer?

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
https://youtu.be/osDo4Y8sAAM

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting engine sound. I saw a lot of flex in the tail surfaces during the landing. Is that normal?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I didnt catch that Yoop. Read its wings are carbon fiber. I will watch it again. Thanks for posting the videos fellas.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Did you see that chase plane? P-80 Shooting Star? Are they really flying Korean War era aircraft?

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Did you see that chase plane? P-80 Shooting Star? Are they really flying Korean War era aircraft?

I only watched the video once but it looked like a T-33 to me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Curious what the little object is tethered to its rear stabilizer ?

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Curious what the little object is tethered to its rear stabilizer ?

Looks like a “Trailing Cone”.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16899 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

I only watched the video once but it looked like a T-33 to me.
Boeing is the only operator of the T-33s in the US. They have 2 of them. I bet it’s because they have good range, good visibility and and relatively inexpensive to operate. They also have T-38s when they start testing the speed of the bigger jets. A 747 can outrun a T-33.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Interesting engine sound. I saw a lot of flex in the tail surfaces during the landing. Is that normal?
It is. Every 777 I’ve seen land and go into full reverse thrust has that “flex” in the horizontal stab.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool.
I miss having a window office. We're on the departure path of IAH, so we constantly have planes flying over.

Even from my windowless room, you can tell the 747/777/A380, just so much louder than the rest.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Will it fly on one engine?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post