SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeings 777X Flew for 4 Hours today..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeings 777X Flew for 4 Hours today.. Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I believe it's capable to actually TAKE OFF on one engine. As in, the other engine isn't even running. I believe I saw that some time ago on a documentary about the 777 engines...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, IIRC, in the development of the engines, they put one on the inboard pylon of a 747 and were able to fly the plane (cruise) on the single engine. I don't fully recall if the other 3 were shut down, or just idled.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
two GE9X engines are the biggest and most powerful turbine engines in operation.

The one of their factory's is here in Hooksett, NH.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
I believe it's capable to actually TAKE OFF on one engine. As in, the other engine isn't even running. I believe I saw that some time ago on a documentary about the 777 engines...

That's incredible! Thanks for the info.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Wingtips automatically fold up below 50 knots. Hmmmm. I hope they have the bug worked out of that system.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it has/had the same or modified flight control system as the 737 Max?

Posts: 9252 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Wingtips automatically fold up below 50 knots. Hmmmm. I hope they have the bug worked out of that system.

Curious what the flight performance is with the wingtips folded? Can it maintain altitude/nominal flight performance with them folded?

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Curious what the flight performance is with the wingtips folded? Can it maintain altitude/nominal flight performance with them folded?

One thing’s for sure, it ain’t flying if it’s doing 50 knots. It’s either stalled and about to do a lot faster than 50 knots or it’s on the ground.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Did you see that chase plane? P-80 Shooting Star? Are they really flying Korean War era aircraft?

I only watched the video once but it looked like a T-33 to me.

Makes sense. I Googled the T-33 (I'd never heard of it), and it turns out they're the same thing.

The Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star (or T-Bird) is a subsonic American jet trainer. It was produced by Lockheed and made its first flight in 1948. The T-33 was developed from the Lockheed P-80/F-80 starting as TP-80C/TF-80C in development, then designated T-33A. It was used by the U.S. Navy initially as TO-2, then TV-2, and after 1962, T-33B. The last operator of the T-33, the Bolivian Air Force, retired the type in July 2017, after 44 years of service."

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

One thing’s for sure, it ain’t flying if it’s doing 50 knots. It’s either stalled and about to do a lot faster than 50 knots or it’s on the ground.

I was thinking more along the lines of inadvertent wingtip folding in normal cruise conditions; how it would affect flight performance.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I wonder if it has/had the same or modified flight control system as the 737 Max?

Unlikely. The MCAS system is there to compensate for the oversized engines on an aircraft that is too short (landing gear) for them. They were moved forward and up, so the MCAS system was developed.

The whole 737Max fiasco could have been avoided if they would have used the 757 airframe instead of taking the 737 so far beyond its initial design. Just my opinion, but I hate to see Boeing’s troubles. They should have let engineers in Seattle build aircraft instead of accountants in Chicago.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, IIRC, in the development of the engines, they put one on the inboard pylon of a 747 and were able to fly the plane (cruise) on the single engine. I don't fully recall if the other 3 were shut down, or just idled.

Given that there are four different hydraulic systems run off four different engines on the 747 and the big GE was only on board for experimental purposes and not there to run the aircraft...no.

The 747 won't fly on one engine low altitude, drift down. It doesn't do particularly well on two. At all.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
That's incredible! Thanks for the info.
You are quite welcome! I believe this is the documentary that talked about the B777 engine and engine testing during design and production.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Did you see that chase plane? P-80 Shooting Star? Are they really flying Korean War era aircraft?

I only watched the video once but it looked like a T-33 to me.

Makes sense. I Googled the T-33 (I'd never heard of it), and it turns out they're the same thing.

The Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star (or T-Bird) is a subsonic American jet trainer. It was produced by Lockheed and made its first flight in 1948. The T-33 was developed from the Lockheed P-80/F-80 starting as TP-80C/TF-80C in development, then designated T-33A. It was used by the U.S. Navy initially as TO-2, then TV-2, and after 1962, T-33B. The last operator of the T-33, the Bolivian Air Force, retired the type in July 2017, after 44 years of service."

The chase plane was a Canadair CT-133 Silver Star, a licensed copy of the T-33 built in Canada.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of inadvertent wingtip folding in normal cruise conditions; how it would affect flight performance.

That's was my point considering Boeing's recent track record with computers controlling flight surfaces.

Half joking, half not so sure.

They said the wingtip fold after landing when the plane slows below 50 knots.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Right. Just my curiosity on how vital they are to normal flight, if 1 or both were to fold at cruise speed.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wingtip folding system would work off a sensor programmed with air/ground logic. If there is no weight on the wheels, those wingtips aren't going to fold. And I would imagine, the engineers designed them to "fail" in the down position. Those sensors are pretty reliable and I can only think of maybe one or two times in my 15-year career where an air/ground sensor failed. The Embraer Regional Jet is chock full of those things and that platform, in my experience, was EXTREMELY reliable.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
After reading about the internet a bit, I’ve noticed people seem to be up in a knot about the safety of the folding wings. Why all the fuss? Haven’t there been folding wings on aircraft since WWII? I never, not once, recall hearing about a wing folding during flight, except from battle damage. Besides, it’s 3.5 meters of wing. You’d think the crew could trim that out if one folds. Seems like much ado about nothing, and a rather smart solution at crowded airport gates.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Embedded

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/osDo4Y8sAAM

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Is it on Youtube, or do you have a file on your computer?

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
I have a video from BFI tower of the 777x and the T-33 chase plane flyby the tower. (I just don’t know how to post it).
https://youtu.be/osDo4Y8sAAM

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
After reading about the internet a bit, I’ve noticed people seem to be up in a knot about the safety of the folding wings. Why all the fuss? Haven’t there been folding wings on aircraft since WWII? I never, not once, recall hearing about a wing folding during flight, except from battle damage. Besides, it’s 3.5 meters of wing. You’d think the crew could trim that out if one folds. Seems like much ado about nothing, and a rather smart solution at crowded airport gates.

For me it's more curiosity & less paranoia
The engineer in me is fascinated by how it all works