SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heading to Pensacola in a couple of weeks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Pensacola in a couple of weeks Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Never been but I've driven near there on I-10 Big Grin

Going to an HR workshop at the military base there.

What can I expect of the area?

Was thinking about bringing a bicycle and fishing gear (won't be using them at the same time Razz).

Would like to visit a cigar lounge. Might only dine out once or twice as I want to save the per diem.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
NAS or Corry?

Try McGuire Irish Pub. If you had time to charter a fishing trip (River, not Gulf would be my preference).

I think you just missed the mullet toss.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give yourself some time to just walk around the downtown area. It used to be a fairly rundown area but Pcola has done an amazing job of their downtown. They are the poster children of how to revitalize a dying downtown area. It is an enjoyable day. Shops, galleries, coffee shops, food, bars. It is all there.

Pcola has the closest access to deep water offshore fishing of Florida. If offshore fishing is your thing this is the place. If you just want to fish the intercoastal that is available as well.

Biking isn't great down there. Lots of traffic, not really set up for biking well. There are some good opportunities if you head to the West side. Johnson's Beach is a National Seashore, if you are a vet it is free. You can ride down the seashore for quite aways before you hit Pensacola Pass and you have to turn around.

Pensacola is the classic parts are good parts are not so good town. The revitalized areas and the gentrified stuff is very nice. You can round a corner and buy your drugs if you aren't careful. Haves and have nots come to mind. My wife was born and raised there and my kids were born there so we always go back and visit family. Love it down there, not sure I would ever move back. But it is a fun area. You will enjoy your time there.

Go see the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS. It is one of the top 3 aviation museums in the country. They did a great job with it.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Yes, McGuire's Irish Pub is a must. Great food and lots of it, and it's a pretty neat experience with literally thousands and thousands of dollars plastering the walls & ceilings.

Be sure to visit the National Museum of Naval Aviation. That's a day-long event in itself if you have an interest in aviation. It's free.

Pensacole Beach is pretty but usually pretty crowded.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6740 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a short trip to go see the USS Alabama and sub USS Drum in Mobile Bay.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My in-laws live in Pensacola and we go there a couple of times a year. We were actually just there a few weeks ago.

Johnson Beach on the west side is preferable to Pensacola Beach, if just for avoiding the crowds. Unfortunately the road doesn't go all the way out to the Fort/Pensacola Pass anymore...it's a five-mile walk one-way on sand from the end of the road, so 10-miles round trip. I've done it, and it was pretty cool because of the complete solitude, but it took hours, tore the crap out of my feet, I burned to a crisp, and didn't take anywhere near enough water. I'm still glad I did it, but it's probably not an activity you want to do or will have time to do on a work trip. You can still go there and enjoy the beach without doing that hike, though.

If you're stuck on the Gulf Breeze/Pensacola Beach side, there are some nice beaches inside the Fort Pickens fee area that are less crowded, and the fort itself is fun to walk around. There's also a nice fishing pier there now, and sometimes there's interesting activity across the bay at the base that you can watch while you fish.

The Naval Aviation Museum at NAS is awesome, and could easily consume a full day. The Blue Angels are also based there and are currently doing practices Tues, Wed, and Thurs mornings that you can go watch from the flight line behind the museum...check the website for details. Fort Barancas and the lighthouse on the base are a fun few hours, too.

Walking the downtown area is a good time. There's a lot of shops, restaurants, and some really interesting history dating back to Spanish and British control of the area. We also like to get Ice Cream and walk Palafox Pier and look at the boats.

For food, they've got all the typical chain stuff common to the South. If you want to splurge or have a nice per-diem, Rodizio's Brazilian Steakhouse downtown is pretty amazing (hard to go wrong with all-you-can-eat steak!). The Oar House isn't far from downtown, and has a fun beach-bar ambiance and pretty good food. It's also entertaining to watch drunk people fall in the marina trying to get back on their boats after dinner, lol. We tend to hit more of the hole-in-the-wall places, or at least we did before I got diabetes and had to start eating Keto. My favorite place by far was Taste of Jerusalem. It's a little Palestinian place in Brownsville. It's not too far from downtown, but not in a good area. The food is absolutely worth it, though, and we never had a problem.

Posts: 8675 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
there is a nice cigar lounge on 9th Ave - Cordova Cigars (I just bought a pipe from there) and I'm pretty sure there is one downtown, also.

the Naval Air Museum is great

McGuire's - plan on waiting in the que, unless you go early, get the nickel bowl of navy beans with entree (a throw back to when they served them to homeless people out of the back door, last time I was there it was like 10 bucks without the entree), get an appetizer and then take your entree back to eat later

the Fishing Hole on Brent lane is very good, it is in a strip mall, but very tastefully done, and good food

go to Pensacola Beach and people watch, walk the pier, this time of year some of the idiots will be burnt to a crisp, red, i mean cooked lobster red (I feel sorry for them, sometimes Big Grin )

pretty nice indoor range on hwy 29 at the pawn shop

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2017 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Loved the beach there.

Posts: 7550 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I ride my bike down to Pensacola Beach at least once a year. Used to go camping all the time in the national park around Ft Pickens, but I've reached the point in life where sleeping on the ground isn't as fun as it used to be. Ft Pickens itself is still an excellent place to visit (the fort is still quite impressive) and if you go during the week there is a very good chance you'll have the beach to yourself.

NAS Pensacola has opened up the Naval Aviation Museum to the public again. They only let you in and out one gate, but it's good they opened it back up. If you've got any interest in military aircraft it's an awesome stop.

Honestly though my favorite thing to do there is walk out on the pier and people watch until the sun goes down. Great place to take photos from.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Yes, McGuire's Irish Pub is a must. Great food and lots of it, and it's a pretty neat experience with literally thousands and thousands of dollars plastering the walls & ceilings.

Be sure to visit the National Museum of Naval Aviation. That's a day-long event in itself if you have an interest in aviation. It's free.

Pensacole Beach is pretty but usually pretty crowded.

We spent 4 winters in Destin - wonderful place. The advice above is absolutely true.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to the west towards Perdido Key is Innerarity. Good seafood restaurant called The Point. Mullet is their specialty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Just to the west towards Perdido Key is Innerarity. Good seafood restaurant called The Point. Mullet is their specialty

I've eaten there, and had the Mullet. 'Twas indeed quite good!

Posts: 8675 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the best time to tour the Alabama is the dead of winter. It is hot as hell now and it is easy to break your neck. The submarine is open for tours and so is Fort Pickens. Have fun.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live just down the road from The Point. My sister in law used to waitress there. The locals always raved, I have to admit I was alway underwhelmed by the food there. Mullet is not my favorite though. Anything fried is pretty edible though. lol. I have had good fried green tomatoes there.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a suburb of Pensacola. If you’re on the NAS, if you’re there on Wednesdays the Blue Angels practice so free air show. definitely find several hours for the air museum on base as well. ( it’s free admission)

McGuires is fun, especially if drinking with a lot of people and food is large portions but meh in quality. It’s not bad, Don’t get me wrong it’s quite good. But not worth the hype IMO. I have never been able to fully finish the corned beef meal. Just a few miles further down the same road you can get to the beach and there are some fun restaurants there. If you want to spend some money and get a legit steak Jackson’s or The District downtown. The areas near palafox and from chase street (98) to the water is very safe and walkabale and full of hip bars and other nice little restaurants.

You didn’t mention when you’re coming but it’s getting warm and humid. So you don’t need anything heavy to wear. Florida casual is a thing. Depending what professional workwear while at your conference. If you have a national parks pass bring it and use that tk get into Fort Pickens directly across the sound from the NAS. Hell for like $20 you can get a wahoos ticket in the front row and see a really good AA baseball game their stadium is right downtown along the water. Fireworks shows on Saturday nights after the game

Anyway. Plenty to do, give us an idea of exact time of year and what days of week you will be here.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In agreement with Pedro and El Toro...may family has a place on Perdido Key and we will hit some of the following....McGuires, Jaco's, The Pensacola Wahoo's probably have one of the best stadium locations in minor league ball, and the Gulf restaurant over in Orange Beach....

Posts: 589 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was just in Pensacola a couple of weeks ago.

McGuire's is probably a hoot if you're drinking with buddies. I was underwhelmed by the quality.

Cafe Nola was quite excellent.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be at Corry Station later this month for training.

Not really interested in aviation or museums, they're just not my thing.

I just fish from the shore. My fishing is more like sitting on the shore in a folding chair to hang out with a cigar, don't even care if I catch any fish. Big Grin

Definitely will hit up the downtown area as pedropcola suggested.

McGuire's sounds like a good place to visit, might make it one of my dinner places to go. I won't dine out often due to the expense.

Cordova Cigars is on the must visit list. Reading reviews and looking at pictures of it now, they have a huge humidor, it appears.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post