SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of material am I looking for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of material am I looking for? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
As some of you may know, I'm in the process of building an 8x10 camera, similar to this:

I'm at the point now of needing to make a bellows, and I'm trying to find a good material to use. In the old days, bellows were usually made of very thin leather, but I'm looking for something a little easier (and cheaper) to work with. What I need is a material (plastic? cloth?) that:

1. Is completely light-proof
2. Is thin and flexible, and will hold a crease
3. Is relatively cheap and easy to find.

Can anyone recommend something to try?

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know what to suggest but I have a bellows like that from an enlarger. Not sure the condition. If they are still in good shape do you want them?

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Don’t know what to suggest but I have a bellows like that from an enlarger. Not sure the condition. If they are still in god shape do you want them?

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think an enlarger bellows will be big enough. The rear of this bellows needs to be 12" x 12".

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Bristol Board paper?

Edit. Here you go.

http://www.instructables.com/i...large-format-camera/

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
EDIT: Posted eight minutes ago ... I got sidetracked. Roll Out The Barrels on accordion ...

I just bought linen-backed waterproof scratch cloth. Very flexible. And some of the best old-style hinges are actually fabric. Think books. So that was my first set of ideas.

Did you know I play accordion? Yep, that is me downtown with the cup in front of me. Idea 2. If it needs to taper, accordion bellows would be out. http://libertybellows.com

Then the 3rd idea, making them. First buying a 3x5 set or 5x7 set on ebay, NOS Kodak bellows, to see how they deay with the corners, then making them with cardboard and fabric.

LennyB wrote a step-by-step ...

http://www.instructables.com/i...large-format-camera/

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe a roll of gasket material.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I just did a search..."Restoring the bellows on a view camera". Got all sorts of hits back.

Have You looked at any of those?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I just did a search..."Restoring the bellows on a view camera". Got all sorts of hits back.

Have You looked at any of those?

Yeah, I've been looking into this for awhile. I'm just not sure what to use.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
Try oilcloth.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most bellows made after WWII were a ruberized light proof woven fabric. I have a 4x5 Toyo Monorail that was purchased new in 1982 and that was the material used. It's actually rather similar to the fabric used for a changing bag but seem to be a stiffer and heavier fabric. following is a lonk to one possibility I found in a google search for "light proof rubberized fabric". While a thickness of just 0.005 inch seems a bit thin you may try bonding two layers using spray Contact Adhesive.

https://www.thorlabs.com/NewGr...ectGroup_ID=190#2536

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I just spent my Friday night wandering around the fabric aisle at Hobby Lobby.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Here's a commercial bellows manufacturer that uses polyurethane-coated polyester.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Here's a commercial bellows manufacturer that uses polyurethane-coated polyester.

You might be on to something there. Thanks for the link.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ