SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suit Separates?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suit Separates? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Short story, I'd like to buy a new suit. Unfortunately I wear a 46L/48L jacket and 35" waist slacks. Slim fit suits get me closer on waist size in the slacks, but are still quite large, and the slim jackets tend to crowd me in the armholes and/or upper back area. The last suit I bought I spent almost as much for the alterations as I did for the suit and it still doesn't fit as well as I'd prefer. And before anyone suggests it, tailor made suits aren't in the budget as I'd prefer to stay at $500 or less (I just don't wear a suit that often to warrant the additional cost).

So I've started researching suit separates as an option. Anyone have any brands or suggestions of separates that have worked out well for you?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good luck with suits from Dillard's in the Murano and Hart Shaffner Marx brands. They're in that target price.

Believe it or not, IndoChino has suits for <$400 which are tailor made to the measurements you give them. Takes about 2 weeks from order until delivery and they have an alteration reimbursement policy.

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My US$0.02. Unless you are someone who has to wear a suit, not just a dress shirt and tie, but a suit, everyday, suit separates are the way to go.

I had good luck with Jos. A. Banks Travelers Collection of suit separates. But I don’t think they offer it any more.

Wait for a Jos A Banks sale because they routinely run everything 60% to 70% off.

I think I am going to try Paul Fredrick’ssuit separates next time I need a suit.

I feel it is better to spend money on shirts and ties because the suit just fades into the background.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
JC Penney's Stafford line has always done me right. They have sales all the time as well...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Buy Hugo Boss at one of their outlet stores. These have your proportions.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
You may look for a local Mom and Pop store , they seem to Remember Customer service

Posts: 1594 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Haggar is another good option. I bought 2 of their suits lately, and they are separates.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I just did this over the holiday sales. My problem is I wear a 54L and no one had them in stock. JoS A had two jackets in stock to essentially try on. Everything would have to be ordered. Ended up going to Macy's who had some pretty good sales going on. I ordered three different complete suites in 54L online and returned the least favorite one. Macy's offers alterations but not all the stores have a seamstress so you'll have to look into which local store does.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Buy Hugo Boss at one of their outlet stores. These have your proportions.
Interesting. I never shopped Hugo Boss thinking that brand was likely way outside my budget. I'll have to take a look.
quote:
Originally posted by Macy's offers alterations but not all the stores have a seamstress so you'll have to look into which local store does.
But that was kinda the point of buying suit separates so I could avoid the alterations. I don't mind paying to hem the pant, but I'd like to find something that fit well enough that other alternations would not be necessary.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I always liked separates because I could buy 2 pairs of slacks. The way good suits used to come.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I hear ya but it's been my experience that not all jackets are the same. Some are roomier than others and will require some alterations.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My only experience buying suit separates was years ago at Brooks Brothers.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I am the same and luckily have a Brooks Brothers outlet nearby. Spent $900 for 2 suits and only had to tailor the pants.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
There are Saks Off 5th stores in your area, you can buy Hugo Boss in your price range there. There will be other nice options there as well.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Lands End sells separates. I have two of their suits and the quality is quite good.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'll second some options already given (Saks Off 5th and the Hugo Boss Outlet) and add the Nordstrom Rack.

I've seen separates at all of those places. I recently picked up two suits that were sold as separates that were the Penguin brand. I like their casual stuff, but never knew they made suits. I really like them.

Hugo is a solid brand obviously. I've found Joseph Abboud and even Hickey Freemen at these stores too. For the more moderately priced stuff, I have a CK suit that is actually pretty nice.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ralph Lauren classic fit suit separates at Macy's for around $250. A lot of other brands are slim fit and too tight.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

... Believe it or not, IndoChino has suits for <$400 which are tailor made to the measurements you give them. Takes about 2 weeks from order until delivery and they have an alteration reimbursement policy.

My oldest son tried an Indochino suit and was very happy with it. It has a snug, modern cut, so it is very untraditional, but they may also offer a more classic cut as well.

Bigdeal- I have a similar issue, but my local men's clothing store will special order suits with a smaller waist size. They are then altered at the store and fit very well without going full custom, however the cost is in the $900 range.

Posts: 8596 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Indochino.com

You can go into one of their stored to get measured or do it yourself. 100% custom made suit for about $400. I just bought 4 more of them and I have about 10 coworkers that do the same. Once they have your measurements perfect, you can order more online and you know it will fit.

I am in Financial Services and I need quality suits. These look great.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post