SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eric Clapton, Van Morrison release song against coronavirus lockdowns: ‘Stand and Deliver’
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eric Clapton, Van Morrison release song against coronavirus lockdowns: ‘Stand and Deliver’ Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Source: Foxnews.com - Artists release anti-lockdown, anti-mask song after U.K. enters second COVID-19 lockdown

Two of the U.K.’s most famous musicians have taken a stand against coronavirus lockdowns.

Rock and blues guitarist Eric Clapton released an anti-lockdown song titled "Stand and Deliver" on Friday, which was penned by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison.

The 4-minute and 33-second track expresses criticism over shelter-in-place orders and other coronavirus restrictions such as face masks.

"Do you wanna be a free man/ Or do you wanna be a slave?" Clapton sings. "Do you wanna wear these chains / Until you’re lying in the grave?"

Eric Clapton and Van Morrison worked on "Stand and Deliver," a song that is critical about coronavirus lockdowns. (Photo by Listen To The Lion/Lobeline Communcations via Getty Images)

He goes on to note he doesn’t want to be a pauper or a prince but instead, he wants to do his job as a musician. Or as Clapton puts it: "Playin’ the blues for my friends."

"Magna Carta, Bill of Rights / The constitution, what’s it worth? / You know they’re gonna grind us down / Until it really hurts," he continues. "Is this a sovereign nation / Or just a police state? / You better look out, people / Before it gets too late."

Clapton closes out his tune with "Dick Turpin wore a mask too," which is a reference to the infamous English highwayman who committed a slew of crimes in the 18th century while he wore a mask.

This is not the first time Clapton has made his stance known regarding the global pandemic.

"We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess," the 75-year-old guitarist previously said in a statement. "The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover."

The song is a part of Morrison’s "Save Live Music" campaign and proceeds from the song will reportedly go to the songwriter’s musician-focused Lockdown Hardship Fund. Morrison released three other anti-lockdown songs earlier this year, including "Born to Be Free," "As I Walked Out" and "No More Lockdown."

Health officials have publicly criticized Morrison’s stance for the safety of U.K. residents.

In an op-ed for the Rolling Stone, Northern Ireland Health Minister Robin Swann wrote, "It’s actually a smear on all those involved in the public health response to a virus that has taken lives on a massive scale. His words will give great comfort to the conspiracy theorists – the tin foil hat brigade who crusade against masks and vaccines and think this is all a huge global plot to remove freedoms."

Ireland has more than 78,770 positive coronavirus cases while England has more than 2 million positive cases, according to data from the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Dashboard.

Combined, the two countries have more than 69,300 deaths related to coronavirus complications.

The U.K. has recently imposed another lockdown due to rising coronavirus cases seen in the fall and winter months. Restrictions had been eased in the summer when cases were declining.

quote:
Stand and De;iver Lyrics

Stand and deliver
You let them put the fear on you
Stand and deliver
But not a word you heard was true
But if there's nothing you can say
There may be nothing you can do

Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna wear these chains
Until you're lying in the grave?

I don't wanna be a pauper
And I don't wanna be a prince
I don't wanna be a pauper
And I don't wanna be a prince
I just wanna do my job
Playing the blues for friends

Magna Carta, Bill of Rights
The constitution, what's it worth?
You know they're gonna grind us down, ah
Until it really hurts
Is this a sovereign nation
Or just a police state?
You better look out, people
Before it gets too late

You wanna be your own driver
Or keep on flogging a dead horse?
Or keep on flogging a dead horse?
Do you wanna make it better
Or do you wanna make it worse?

Stand and deliver
You let them put the fear on you
Slow down the river
But not a word of it was true
If there's nothing you can say
There may be nothing you can do

Stand and deliver
Stand and deliver
Dick Turpin wore a mask too

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I thought that Adam Ant already wrote this song?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Of course now that Clapton has come out against lockdowns, he has been deemed a racist for comments he made 45 years ago, or so.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And after some PC crap, the original version Clapton put out was replaced by this "less offensive version". (because, many will wonder how it applies to the lockdowns and not simply some generic anti-"whatever" meme)

I have a copy of it.

Lyrics:

Stand and deliver
Stand and deliver
Take a look in the mirror
I got what's happenin' to you

Do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna be a king
Or just remain a knave?

Do you wanna be a pauper
Or do you wanna be a prince?
Do you wanna be a pauper
Or do you wanna be a prince?
You wanna get robbed from behind?
Cast your fate to the wind

Magna Carta, Bill of Rights
Constitution, what's it worth?
You know they gonna grind us down
'Till it really hurts
Is this a sovereign nation
Or just a fascist state?
You better look out, people
'Fore it gets too late

[interlude]

Or keep on floggin' the dead horse?
Or keep on floggin' the dead horse?
You wanna make it better
Or do you wanna make it worse?

Stand and deliver
Stand and deliver
Take a look in the mirror
I got what's happenin' to you

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Van has put out 3 or 4 songs this year railing against government intervention.

Don't F with Van the Man.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post