SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clear liquids diet for colonoscopy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clear liquids diet for colonoscopy Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I've had three, my first one I had to prep over three days. The last two only for a day. Keep busy and youll forget your hungry.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Suprep is the best colonoscopy prep. Trust me, I've had 4 of them.

Why is it the best? What makes it better than the Dulcolax, Mirilax and Gatorade prep. I've had the latter, and it was not the horror show everyone seems to describe...Heck, you even pick the flavor of your choice. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9036 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
A little late for a homemade high fat beef broth but maybe some bullion cubes or canned broth and add 1/2 stick of butter. Sip throughout the day.

That sounds like a surefire way to screw up the procedure and have to come back. Butter? Fat? They specify clear liquids so you are clear and clean inside.

I've had 3, last year was a 3 year f/u. I'm on a 10 year plan now. Last two times I've made short ribs and pot roast a week or two ahead of time and save the stock for the day or 2 before. I hadn't had lettuce or spinach etc. for many weeks before. The butter/fat doesn't make it that far but it satiates. Being able to fast helps also.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They gave me Suprep pills for mine. No drinking nasty sludge. Beef broth got me through.

Posts: 4288 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Vodka is a clear liquid. Seriously though, I don't know what to tell you to eat, but Godspeed Brother.

"Clear liquor is for rich women on diets." Ron Swanson.

My last prep had me cramping so bad I wasn't interested in eating.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Having had 3 of the “Roto-Rooter Borescopings”, first thing—drink the prep stuff but stay close to the bathroom, as once it kicks in, you’ll be in there for a couple or three hours “cleansing”.

Do NOT drink anything reddish in color (cranberry juice, cherry Coke, etc.) as that’ll scare the folks on the TV watching end into thinking they nicked something.

You've got a choice on meds; localized relaxation, or total snooze out. Either way, someone else needs to be with you for the drive home.

Afterwards, get your favorite meal.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2714 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Once I start the prep I won’t be doing any eating, either.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Nurse told me that a martini was not classified as a "clear liquid."

Hah! So SHE says! Big Grin

Seriously, though, bone broth. I really didn’t have any trouble following the prescribed diet. And stuck close to the restroom. Easy peasy.
Best of luck!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5374 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I should have posted Dave Barry's summary of the procedure earlier!

quote:
I called my friend Andy, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis . Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies. I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon. The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked. Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down.

Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like. I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ...'

... and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12469 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Pretty much said it all- Perfect description!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5374 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My last one I was on the table. They asked me to turn over to my left side. I planted one foot and started to lift when a hard cramp hit my leg. I shot upright to grab it, and the nurses took me by the shoulders and started to press me back down. I guess they thought I was trying to escape. I said, "Cramp, cramp!" They let me up and off the table. Putting weight on it gets it to release. Got back up. They hit me with the juice, and I woke up in the recovery room.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Suprep is the best colonoscopy prep. Trust me, I've had 4 of them.

Why is it the best? What makes it better than the Dulcolax, Mirilax and Gatorade prep. I've had the latter, and it was not the horror show everyone seems to describe...Heck, you even pick the flavor of your choice. Wink

Because you drink 1 small bottle and 2 large cups of water at night, and drink 1 small bottle and 2 large cups of water early in the morning. Same result, less drinking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16125 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Suprep I had was two bottles of 12 pills each. One pill with 16oz of water every 2-3 minutes, as directed by my MD. That’s 1.5 gallons in 24-36 minutes. Then, a few hours of misery later, do it again. 10 pills and 160oz of water into the second series, I puked.

I think the other Suprep mentioned here sounds better.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think all the preps just suck equally. I did the same one as you did with the pills and water. It sucked and I barely made it without puking. I actually thought about just getting in the shower and let it rip out of both ends. But it didn’t come to that.

My buddies that did the other prep had similar stories and thought the pill version sounded much better. I think it is a case of the “grass is greener“ kind of situation. Forcing yourself to have your body try and turn itself inside out is bad either way you do it. But to get the ease of mind that you’re OK in the colon department is worth it. My sister had colon cancer in her mid 40’s. Now 10 years cancer free. I was told to go get one, but it took me those 10 years to do it.

I hated the thought of the whole process, so always made excuses. Finally I got myself to man up and get it done. The worst part of it besides the prep, was me thinking I would wake up in the hospital gutted like a fish because they found something. Luckily I was good, with only 1 decent size polyp. They took it out and all is good. Kinda pissed at myself for not getting it done earlier. A big weight was lifted off my mind once it was done. Next one won’t be a big deal since the fear and mystery has been taken out of the process.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1116 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
A week before the procedure STOP eating meat then soup tofu etc then water water water.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2266 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
That is not necessary and I have never heard of a GI doc that suggests this prep.

Posts: 17317 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
It just a suggestion from someone who has had a few Boroscopes.. stop eating meat and going on a weeks worth on soft food helps your digestion and when one has to drink that horrible brew!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2266 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post