SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who has replaced a knee and a hip?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has replaced a knee and a hip? Login/Join 
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted
I have already replaced a knee but now I need to replace a hip. Curious if someone has done both and how did the recovery/rehab compare? Pain, PT, Time, etc.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I've had both hips done. My right one was 12 years ago and it was done with the posterior cut. It was a bitch.

Had the left one done a year ago with the anterior cut and it was easy as pie. Most docs do it this way now. Thing is though they can't do the anterior cut if too fat or to muscly.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2406 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I had full hip replacement 8 years ago. Had a full knee replacement on same leg 6 years ago.
The recovery rehab and PT went much better and shorter duration for the hip. vs the knee for me.

I'm sure there are others who will have had an opposite reaction to the procedures. Most important , as you know since you have already had a knee done, is to do the PT as often and exactly
as instructed. Rehab and recovery will be very beneficial if you follow directions correctly.

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both hips replaced in the last 2 years. Left one 2 years ago went great. The right one was done the day after last Thanksgiving and has been more difficult to recover from. I can't imagine getting a knee done with a hip. Good luck. Do the rehab no matter what.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My 85 year old mother had a hip replaced. Chose the wrong doctor, who used the wrong technique. Now has "drop foot" and has to use a walker.

There are many considerations. Research your options. It is a lifetime problem for her now.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for myself but, my mother had it done when she was 75-ish(?), went to a well known doctor where the hospital built a wing just for his joint-replacement procedures.

She was up and walking within 5-hours of the surgery, rehab took about a month, obvious discomfort in the beginning but, all in all, she said she wish she'd done it sooner.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My mom has had both, and the knee has been done six times. Yes, six times. The hip job included some faulty part that meant she was just going to limp forever. I don't know if that led to the knee needing re-replacement. But once that became necessary, a super resistant staph infection set in and, well, her life has changed forever. She can actually get around pretty well now, but just stopped the antibiotics infusion last week (which had been going on for almost a year). The infection usually comes back in about two weeks. Eventually, it's going to mean amputation.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a general rule recover from a hip replacement is much easier than a knee replacement

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad has had both hips and both knees done. He said the hips were much easier for recovery.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My 85 year old mother had a hip replaced. Chose the wrong doctor, who used the wrong technique. Now has "drop foot" and has to use a walker.

I have foot drop in my left ankle, due to other reasons. My PCP prescribed an AFO (ankle and foot orthotic), which completely ameliorates foot drop. It was covered under Medicare. The AFO is like a compressed spring, with a thin (carbon fiber) plate that slips under the foot bed, and a cuff that goes around the calf. Connecting the two are a pair of high tech plastic "springs" that lift the front of the foot as you take a step. It has completely eliminated any tripping issues I used to experience.

I have had a total knee replacement in my right leg. Serious PT is a must to regain flexion and extension of the joint. I have heard a hip replacement is a bit easier to recover from. The knee is the largest, and perhaps the most complex joint in the body.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I had my right hip done 7 years ago. I just had my right knee done in July. Knee recovery is considerably worse in my experience.

Neither is fun but the knee is more invasive and controlling swelling is more cumbersome for the knee. Keeping your knee straight in the first 3 weeks was key for mine. I am now working on regaining flexibility. Pain wise for me the knee was worse as well and I had a harder time sleeping at night.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I can't speak from personal experience but my brother has had both knees and both hips replaced and is now recovering from a shoulder replacement, one of the hips he had replaced twice. He is in his mid 70's now and still plays golf and bowls. He is a stickler for following doctors orders and rehab during the recovery process, which is long and arduous. So, be prepared for that!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2085 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Step dad had his knee replaced about 2 years ago. Opposite side hip was replaced last year. He said the hip was the easier recovery. He just walked the Camino de Santiago(~160 miles over 11 days of walking) with me last month.

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I’ve replaced both knees over the last almost six years and having the hip fail was pretty disheartening. I am encouraged to hear that the hip should be easier to rehab. I did the right knee first and only after dicking around with PT and shots for years. Probably waited too long which took a toll on the hip.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I got an infection in my hip 3 months post op and had to have it all pulled out and redone. I prolonged my knee replacement for as long as I could. So far so good, I am about 10 weeks out from the knee. It's going good but I still have swelling in my lower leg.

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My dad had it done at ~89 years old. I would NOT recommend waiting that long, nor would I recommend doing it at all for anyone who is that old. He's never really recovered. Just sits all the time now.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to deflect from the OP’s question (hip related) but wanted to share something I learned about two weeks ago from a friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon related to some pretty neat future knee replacement technology.

He said that there are lab trials (not at human trials yet) taking place now where as some total knew replacements could be replaced by a potentially new technology where as “shocks” are put into the leg and as a result the complete knee is not replaced. He said if it works it would be a couple of years before they become available.

Having watched several total knee replacements (I work in Product Development for a medical manufacturing/supply company) this would be wonderful. If you have a strong stomach go to you tube and watch a few videos on total knew or total hip replacements - the tools they use will remind you of your workshop tools - unreal….

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Watching as my left knee being replaced next week

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

Good luck. I used this to prop my legs up in bed, it worked good for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

Good luck. I used this to prop my legs up in bed, it worked good for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post