SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Enraged by endless robocalls? Help is on the way
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enraged by endless robocalls? Help is on the way Login/Join 
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
One of the problems is that a vast majority of these calls are out of the country, and out of our jurisdiction. If they can prevent them from spoofing, then it will be a lot easier to block them until they find a way around it.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago I stopped giving out my phone number/zip code or email etc.. to stores when I buy something and I rarely ever get calls.
My wife used to get them regularly, ever since she started doing the same the calls went away eventually for her too.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
My spam calls aren't too bad but the freaking 8 trillion texts I got from anyone and everyone that has ever run for office as a republican was ridiculous...

I was getting 20-30 a day. I reported the numbers as spam, blocked them, nothing helped...

I wish I knew how they got my number. I'm sure it wasn't too hard with all the companies out there selling data to each other

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Robocals are not as bad as others have mentioned.
Most of the calls to my house phone are for a national chain hair cut store. There is a store near where I live.
Their number is one off from mine for the first three numbers after the area code.
During the winter when we have a lot of snow birds down the calls triple.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Press 1 (or whatever) to get a live person.

Tell him / her Abe Simpson's story about wearing an onion on your belt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
So...they're still going to call and bug the shit out of me 27 times a day, it just won't look like a local number.

Exactly how does this help the problem?

You can block the number. They can't go inventing a billion legitimate fake numbers to get around the block.

Hell, if you've got the right service you can block entire area codes and exchanges.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
So...they're still going to call and bug the shit out of me 27 times a day, it just won't look like a local number.

You can block the number. They can't go inventing a billion legitimate fake numbers to get around the block.

Hell, if you've got the right service you can block entire area codes and exchanges.

Actually they can. I still get some calls and I always block and the same one always calls back

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairy2dawg:
One of the problems is that a vast majority of these calls are out of the country, and out of our jurisdiction. If they can prevent them from spoofing, then it will be a lot easier to block them until they find a way around it.

If I read it right, the technology will be implemented at telephone service provider level. They own your number, so they could block any incoming call no matter the origin. Getting all of he providers (especially wireless providers) on board would go a long way. From the linked article:

"Major U.S. telephone service providers are expected to start integrating the verification system with their networks in upcoming months, with a more complete ramp-up to follow in 2019".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

"Major U.S. telephone service providers are expected to start integrating the verification system with their networks in upcoming months, with a more complete ramp-up to follow in 2019".
It can't come too soon.

I am mentoring one of our forum members, on his journey to become a pilot. During our weekly session this past Thursday, I received half a dozen of these calls. I am going to wear out the "Decline Call" button on my Apple watch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

Actually they can. I still get some calls and I always block and the same one always calls back

Yep, I not only get the robocalls but also spam text messages. The texts always start with “hey Tom” (and my name is not Tom). They come from different numbers and area codes and I get tired of blocking them. I’d guess I’ve already blocks 30 different numbers they’ve come from. I just installed RoboKiller and it caught the spam texts a few hours after install. I currently have 174 numbers I have manually blocked and that doesn’t include blocked numbers from two different apps.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't' know much about this, but I get a lot of calls (land line) from places in Texas I've never heard of and a few I have but don't have any reason to expect a call from. I don't answer them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

The key word in what I wrote is legitimate. Most of what you're seeing today is spoofed called I.D. That is exactly the problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
If I have the time to waste I usually string the caller along, as long as possible, then begin to insult them about how much of a loser they must be to be to have a job bothering people, I then begin to curse at them until they hang up.
If they have a foreign accent I use a different insult regiment.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consumers, rejoice: An attack plan is nearing deployment against the billions of illegal robocalls that have made telephones and smartphones virtual weapons of mass frustration.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Although I'm on the "No call" list, I get the same calls every day for the same shit - credit fix, home security and health care enrollment.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Now all we need is to add in some good old-fashioned drawing and quartering everyone associated with the practice pour encourager les autres.

No, it’s not perfect, but it’s a good first step.

Works for me. Or maybe national TV coverage of tar and feathers, then ride out of town on a rail.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Now all we need is to add in some good old-fashioned drawing and quartering everyone associated with the practice pour encourager les autres.

No, it’s not perfect, but it’s a good first step.

Works for me. Or maybe national TV coverage of tar and feathers, then ride out of town on a rail.

For those calls originating outside the country, may I suggest drone strikes.

Or nuke 'em from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post