SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Use self cleaning oven feature or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use self cleaning oven feature or not? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
We have a Jenn-Aire oven that needs cleaning. It was in the house when we bought it a year ago; I think it is about five years old.

I’ve seen some people say that the self clean cycle can damage the electronics in the oven, but really? It’s a feature, it seems to me that it should be engineered properly, and I’d rather not clean by hand.

What say y’all?

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We've had the self-cleaning feature in our ovens for at least 40 years.
Never had a problem with any of them.

This is the first I've heard about it causing damage.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The self-cleaning cycle can reach up to around 900F. I don't believe the oven can adequately protect the oven's electronics from all that heat. So no, I don't use it in our oven.

Posts: 9044 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The electronics are not inside the oven, correct? Self clean away.

Posts: 10952 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Ours has the self cleaning feature and its never been a problem using it.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never thought there'd be any problem using the self-clean feature, so I have done that with this stove and the two stoves we had earlier in our marriage.

So far, no problems.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to remove the friggin’ racks!

Ask me how I know.

Use the ‘feature!’

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Using oxidation to burn off food deposits using higher temps doesn't work nearly as well as a proper hand cleaning, reduces the life of the range, and if it's very old like mine is, could burn down your house. Unless it's a newer unit and you have a bona fide reason to avoid a proper cleaning, I wouldn't do it.

It's like driving an expensive sports car with immaculate paint into an automatic car wash with dirty brushes, recycled water, and caustic alkaline chemical agents to melt off the dirt. That's the best way to damage perfectly good paint, and in kind, burning off the food and dirt isn't doing any favors to your appliance.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
The self-cleaning cycle can reach up to around 900F. I don't believe the oven can adequately protect the oven's electronics from all that heat. So no, I don't use it in our oven.

It's a lot more than electornics. Burners, wiring, connectors, sheet metal, paint, coatings, etc., they all sustain damage.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Go for it, I wouldn't use it on a monthly basis or anything like that but it will be just fine.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Nope. You might cook the electronics, thermostats, etc.

Been there and done that.

Won’t do it again.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the oven is a porcelain coated vessel - it will be fine. The oven is then is wrapped in insulation and there is an air gap to the metal sides of the oven. If you have 60's plastic coated cabinets I would not run self clean.

Also if you have pet birds do not run self clean - chemical burn/carbon some type oxide will kill them - RIP Lord Stanley.

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I recommend reading your manual and following what it says. Don’t mean that in a snarky way. But it will tell you how to do it and what to expect.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
the oven is a porcelain coated vessel - it will be fine. The oven is then is wrapped in insulation and there is an air gap to the metal sides of the oven.

B I N G O

Read and follow the owners manual and you'll be fine. Some require racks to be removed, some don't.
Leave a window or two open, as you'll be burning any residue creating carbon monoxide.
Plus, carbon monoxide from a gas fired oven.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
We seem to overlook some obvious things.

The smoke produced over time in an oven - the stuff you clean - gets into the locking mechanism too.

Heat it up with the self clean and it turns into cement.

Oven won't unlock.

That and the fact that in all too many instances, the electronics are not sufficiently shielded.

Don't use it, clean it by hand.

Spray Way makes an excellent product.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
The fact that it's Jenn-Aire and 5 or so yrs old, I would think you're fine to do what the oven instructs.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife has tried it on the last couple ovens we've had, but was never satisfied with the results. She'd rather just do it herself.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
used it on my whirlpool oven (new) and it nuked the electronics... dead

Posts: 345 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post