SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 'Candy Bomber’ returns to Berlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 'Candy Bomber’ returns to Berlin Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
As an aside, this article stirred a memory: During the cold war blockade of Berlin, I flew into Tempelhof via commercial airline. The glide path was below the tops of tall buildings, very close on both sides. An interesting landing.

“A former U.S. Air Force pilot famous for dropping candy to starving children during the Berlin Airlift of 1948 and 1949 has returned to the German capital as a guest of honor 70 years after the end of the crisis.

Gail Halvorsen, 98, received a hero's welcome as he donned his military uniform, signed autographs, and posed for photos with city residents on Saturday.

Halvorsen became known as the 'Candy Bomber' after inventing the idea to airdrop small bags of sweets to children in West Berlin, who were going hungry after the Soviet Union blocked railway, road and canal access to the city.

The blockade lasted from June 1948 until May 1949 and became known as the first crisis in the Cold War…”

https://mol.im/a/7019513

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. The cadet color guard from my Civil Air Patrol squadron was invited to provide the color guard for this Berlin Airlift 70th anniversary celebration in Germany. They were unable to go due to the extensive security requirements associated with having 12-18 year-olds in military-like uniforms wandering around Germany.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Thanks for posting. The cadet color guard from my Civil Air Patrol squadron was invited to provide the color guard for this Berlin Airlift 70th anniversary celebration in Germany. They were unable to go due to the extensive security requirements associated with having 12-18 year-olds in military-like uniforms wandering around Germany.

Ah, you mean like they USED to a while back? Roll Eyes

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well, I was in uniform, in Germany, at age 18. And it was not all that unusual! But back then we still had the draft going, and a fair percentage of American troops in Germany were draftees.

I know that many of us gave candy, chewing gum, etc to the German kids. Virtually every time we went on maneuvers we had interactions with local German kids. They would come to our locations to make shopping runs to the local stores for us. For which they always got a nice "tip" for doing so.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://wqad.com/2018/09/17/io...olate-bar-at-a-time/

https://www.desmoinesregister....williams/1357469002/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The Civil Air Patrol is the USAF Auxiliary, a volunteer organization, and the cadets are 12-18 year old civilian volunteers. The USAF, and I believe the State Dept, are the ones who put the kabosh on it.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Which is unfortunate, because I can see about zero extra problems about kids attending event venues in topical uniforms, with flags and even rifles. That happens at the annual Schützenfeste of the ubiquitous German marksmen associations all the time, after all.

Granted, Berlin in particular is a politically unruly turf where militant leftists frequently try to disturb public military events, but that's irrespective of the age of attendants.

Gail Halvorsen has been a staple of airlift commemorations for like decades, BTW. He has a couple school named for him, and for the current anniversary they did the same with the baseball park at Berlin's former Tempelhof Airport. Which is particularly appropriate, since Halvorsen also served as commander of the airfield from 1970 to 1974. I hope he sticks around for the 75th anniversary, too (he would be 103 then).

Posts: 2420 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post