SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jonathan Miller: Why I regret buying an electric car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonathan Miller: Why I regret buying an electric car Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Anyone that thinks that's a 10 hour drive vehicle deserves that extra 8 hours to contemplate their decisions. I don't want one in any way shape or form. But if you're general roaming is around town (5 to 10 miles trips daily), it's a feasible thing now. But you'd better have something else for the other 10, 20, 30% of real life in flyover country.

Posts: 11396 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
An electric car would be great. If I owned multiple cars, had a huge garage and additional disposable income I would have one. Until that time I own one car that must do everything, it is and will be ICE.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Who remembers General Motors EV-1?
Maybe if they had not canceled the program and then recalled all the cars(because they were leases) and then destroyed most of them they would be farther along with battery technology.

Do I think some day we will have reliable electric cars that will get good mileage of a charge, yes.
Do I think it will happen any time soon, no.
We still need vehicles that run on fossil fuels, and we will for a long long time to come.

Remember it, one of the first jobs for the newly formed company I've worked for since 1995 was to build the Fuel Filler Neck for the EV-1. Yeah, they had a fuel tank because the battery lacked the capacity to provide Heat in the EV-1. So GM put in a fuel fired heater for the cabin heat. IIRC that heater also provided heat for the battery pack because storage batteries become less efficient at reduced temperatures.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I don't think people understand how good electric cars can be, especially if the experience is with a product from some second-rate manufacturer. And in the world of electric cars, that's what everyone else is to Tesla.

These things are bad ass. Miller talks like he ate too many paint chips as a child.

Posts: 5156 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post