SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Acquired tastes...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acquired tastes... Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Coffee - I never drank coffee until I was 32. Now I have a cup a day and of course its black. I've just now started to pick up on the different flavors in black coffee, before, it was just coffee.

Beer - Started drinking beer and wine at 33, both have very distinct tastes, not just across the different varieties but in each individual brew. Really nice having 1 or 2 here and there and actually enjoying they taste, where as before it was just beer, always tasted quite nasty to me.

Vegetables - I can sit and eat a raw onion, tomato, bell pepper, or various other vegetables that for the better part of my life I've always just considered toppings or an ingredient. Picking up on the sweetness mostly now days. A good tomato is better than an apple in my opinion, something I'd never have wanted to eat for 35 years of my life.

I've never been a picky eater, the only thing I WILL NOT eat is celery. I grew up eating every piece of the animals we butchered from snout to tail. Nothing went to waste and you either ate what was on the table or you went hungry. Luckily until my grandfather's second heart attack, most of our vegetables were fried (Okra, eggplant, even broccoli Smile ). But as I get older I really appreciate things more now.

Not sure if I was oblivious before or just unable to taste what I taste now.

Olives - Forgot about olives. Took 34 years to learn these things are not just soured grapes, they taste fantastic!

What's some things yall passed on for years before learning, "Holy Smokes, that's actually good"?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6328 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Artichokes

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My parents both drank coffee and I hated the taste of it.

During Basic Training at Ft. Lewis Washington, we would get one coffee break in the morning and one in the afternoon, typically out in the woods somewhere and it was freezing cold. I would fill my canteen cup with coffee, wrap my hands around it and then toss it when the break was over. Finally, a friend told me that if I drank it, it would help warm me inside, so I did. And I drink it to this day.

Scotch was an acquired taste for me, one I picked up from a Colonel I worked for in the Army. Still like it a lot.

Artichokes? Those are great. Loved the first one I ate at the age of 19 or so and eat them just about every week to this day, along with avocados.

Can't think of any food I had to learn to like. Like my ex mother in law once told me, if I didn't like it, that meant it hadn't been prepared properly...and she was right.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Scrapple!

I grew up on this PA Dutch specialty but I know lots of people born and raised here that still won’t eat it. My wife is one of them.

It helps not to dwell about the ingredients, LOL

For me the love for coffee came at age 18, in the Army. Prior to that I hated the taste of it, I would only drink it occasionally as a teenager when I needed some caffeine, I would put half coffee and half milk in a glass and chug it down as fast as I could.

Now I can’t go a day without it, 30 years on.

Posts: 33833 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Capers and edible flowers.

ick

Posts: 107654 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For much of my life I scraped off the crust of brie cheese because it tasted too bitter, even acrid. But now I like it. The change happened about the same time that I quit putting cream in my coffee. And I switched from 50% cacao chocolate to 100% cacao.

Apparently I developed a taste for bitterness.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8981 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brussels sprouts. Hated them at family meals, or holiday get together. Now, roasted, they are great.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
SPAM. Now I absolutely love the stuff.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I credit the Marine Corps with "acquainting" me with foods I never would have tried before then, and found I liked them, liver and onions, a wide assortment of vegetables, cottage cheese etc.. You eat what the mess hall is serving, or go hungry!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cilantro

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Cilantro

I've always felt cilantro was the best herb. I love it on damn near everything.

Like some folks genetic disposition to cilantro, I have the same thing to celery, which is why I won't eat it. It doesn't taste too incredibly awful to me, but you can put 1 leaf in a pot of soup and that's the only thing I'll taste in it. Crazy how some food trigger certain folks taste buds and brains different.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6328 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I've always felt cilantro was the best herb.
Well, close.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Spinach, but around mid-teens I started actually liking it. Mainly the only thing that I still cannot eat and develop any taste for is liver, any kind, no matter how it's cooked or prepared I just can't eat it.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I grew up in a family that ate liver and onions, but once I found out the function of the liver- no more for me.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Cilantro

I've always felt cilantro was the best herb. I love it on damn near everything.

Like some folks genetic disposition to cilantro, I have the same thing to celery, which is why I won't eat it. It doesn't taste too incredibly awful to me, but you can put 1 leaf in a pot of soup and that's the only thing I'll taste in it. Crazy how some food trigger certain folks taste buds and brains different.

I can eat a ton of Celery in one setting,
the entire bunch, leaves too

cilantro tastes like soap to me,

Pickles are like you mentioned (everything tastes like pickles) to me,
put pickle relish in deviled eggs and it ruins them,
ditto hamburgers etc, pickles get tossed

now as a far as new to me the old guy goes , Almonds, used to hate them, now, I eat them often

cucumbers too,

sliced thin, raw on a sandwich, or with a thin sliced union and a dash or 2 of apple cider vinegar (Cucumber salad is what my granma called it, ) is delicious, hated it when I was a kid,

(but no pickles)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Braunschweiger and liverwurst were on my hate list for a very long time. No more, I love it for sandwiches.

Sauerkraut is another one you couldn't get me to eat. Now I love it to the point that we make our own. I can't get enough of it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stout- It tasted like a combination of cough syrup and dark beer the first time, now I prefer it.

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Liver, anchovies, and sardines.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Avocados believe it our not. And, I live in the so called avocado capital of the world, or at least Southern Kalifornia. Always associated them with guacamole which contains onions/cilantro, etc. all the stuff I don't like. Then about 20 years ago I tried making my own guacamole with just red hot sauce added and the rest is history. Wife and I share an avocado a day now. And it contains the good cholesterol.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, I grew up in a family that ate liver and onions, but once I found out the function of the liver- no more for me.

Granny, a Southern Belle, made liver and onions. I would scrape the onions off the liver. All these many years later I still wonder why I chewed on that tasteless shoe leather piece of so called meat. But she made damb good biscuits.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post