SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More WF shenanigan: Wells Fargo facing federal investigation over alleged fake interviews for women and minorities
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More WF shenanigan: Wells Fargo facing federal investigation over alleged fake interviews for women and minorities Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://justthenews.com/govern...eged-fake-interviews

Company was reportedly hosting sham meetings to meet diversity quotas.

Updated: June 11, 2022 - 6:36pm

Wells Fargo is facing a federal inquiry into whether the major U.S. financial institution violated federal law when it reportedly hosted fake interviews for female and minority candidates as part of an effort to fulfill diversity quotas.

A civil rights division inside the U.S. Attorney’s Manhattan office is investigating the bank, according to the New York Times. The investigation comes after a whistleblower revealed allegations of fake interviews being held by the company.

The whistleblower, former Wells Fargo staffer Joe Bruno, claimed that company officials were holding bogus interviews with "diverse" candidates to present the company as one that was actively seeking nonwhite, non-male candidates.

Wells Fargo several years ago instituted a policy in which half of all candidates interviewing for jobs with six-figure salaries need to be "diverse" individuals, a term generally understood to signify women and racial minorities.

Following Bruno’s allegations, multiple other employees and/or professional candidates came forward with similar allegations of having been subject to, or having hosted, fake interviews.

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
If the organization is already at 13% black, isn't that representative of the community?

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If the others who came forward (besides Bruno) were "multiple other employees and/or professional candidates", how would the Manhattan US Attorney's Office prove to a court that the "candidates" who didn't get hired actually went through a fake job interview? No matter what they say it's all going to sound like butthurt over not having gotten the job.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Can’t believe this group isn’t being investigated under the RICO Act.

Posts: 9533 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Can’t believe this group isn’t being investigated under the RICO Act.

For what? Last time I checked, the NFL and Federal Reserve members were exempt

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Lots of companies have these requirements. I have to interview a minority for every white person I interview, and we have %s that must be achieved for manager level and above.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Affirmative action quotas should be illegal anyway so, meh.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Job applications should be free of gender, race, religious background, or now, chosen sexual orientation. Each should be assigned a number up to the point of the culling of those lacking qualifications. Only when the top required minimum % of knowledge, training, and experience is reached should actual interviews be engaged in.

Hiring based on actual qualifications- what a concept…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
This is happening everywhere these ridiculous diversity, equity, and inclusion mandates exist. This is the new affirmative action office of our time. I was recently put through an interview process contracted out to a DE&I recruiter. The hiring executive was a former colleague and was mad when the field wasn’t narrowed down to 3-4, but was instead offered 10. When he pushed back, the DE&I recruiter 6 were in the mix to satisfy HR and would be dropped quickly because the candidate that would be hired was coming from the most qualified candidates which were neither minorities or women. Maybe we should be hiring the best qualified people for the job instead of worrying about the pigmentation of their skin, sexual preference, or their genitalia.

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wells Fargo is facing a federal inquiry into whether the major U.S. financial institution violated federal law when it reportedly hosted fake interviews for female and minority candidates as part of an effort to fulfill diversity quotas.

I don't like Wells Fargo, but in this case, in a way, I can't wholly blame them for trying to sidestep such a bullshit law as this.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

I don't like Wells Fargo, but in this case, in a way, I can't wholly blame them for trying to sidestep such a bullshit law as this.

It’s nor a law, it’s their own internal policy. How can it be a federal crime to fail to follow company policy?

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

When you realize that everyone is a minority except white males, you realize that affirmative action is merely legalized discrimination against white males and nothing more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hire the most qualified candidate and tell him / her / it to identify as a gender fluid minority.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So W-F gets candidates that are rejected for whatever reasons early on. Yet on the basis of fairness and compliance with governmental and corporate policies go forward to a face to face interview.

Interviewee does not sway the interviewer, no sudden “aha” moment. Now third party becomes whistleblower for “fairness”?

Personal agenda or vendetta? Or just looking for a cash out?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8117 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s nor a law, it’s their own internal policy. How can it be a federal crime to fail to follow company policy?

If the article is accurate, and this is purely an internal matter and no federal law is involved, why this, then?

quote:

A civil rights division inside the U.S. Attorney’s Manhattan office is investigating the bank, according to the New York Times.

Now, it doesn't mean that the investigation will find anything, but they must think there's something there.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Hire the most qualified candidate and tell him / her / it to identify as a gender fluid minority.

I LIKE that solution!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Decades ago one of the major airlines got in trouble for not hiring women pilots. Back then the preference was extremely tilted towards military pilots, which then excluded women. Probably there was merit to the complaint that qualified women were not being hired.

So the reaction was to put women and minorities to the front of the line. Most of the time, when airlines are hiring they are doing it in relatively large numbers, perhaps hundreds per year per airline typically. So a different situation than hiring a couple of bank tellers or a filling a specific professional position (manager, tech, etc).

The airlines in many cases waived requirements for non-white and women applicants that applied to white males. A minority or woman who meets the minimums always goes to the front, whereas white males can't even get the interview until greatly exceeding minimums.

Those women and minorities did meet minimums, and they did have to pass all the training and checking, so they are qualified. But in a field where number of hours, types flown, captain time, etc are important credentials and easily ranked, it is clear that the "most qualified" were being bypassed to satisfy some form of quota.

I see WF likely to respond this way, hiring people of dubious qualification for the job but who check certain boxes, just to avoid bad press and lawsuits.

Posts: 9470 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
^^^This. If I want to get bent about WF, there are plenty of other 'valid' issues to choose from. Them screwing around to try and placate BS requirements put in place but BS politicians and retards (I think that statement was redundant), is something I could care less about.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Now, it doesn't mean that the investigation will find anything, but they must think there's something there.
Of course they think there's something there. A huge corporation with exceedingly deep pockets they can extort money from to feed their voting constituency, while of course taking a big taste for themselves.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:

A civil rights division inside the U.S. Attorney’s Manhattan office is investigating the bank, according to the New York Times.

Now, it doesn't mean that the investigation will find anything, but they must think there's something there.[/QUOTE]

They just keep fishing.

When I was in a supervisory position I rejected several applicants. Literally gaps in work history with no plausible reason, applying while intoxicated, unacceptable personal hygiene (I think smelling someone from six feet away is unacceptable.

If you can’t take a shower before applying or staying sober for a half day before you apply how is that my problem?

And you can guess what I was bluntly accused of by the supervisor of the local job service office.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8117 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post