SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gave Away My Only Glock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gave Away My Only Glock Login/Join 
posted
My son transferred to a Parole and Probation Officer position in Missouri and I gave him my like new Glock 19 yesterday for his service weapon. This is our youngest son and he spent 4 years in college as a Criminal Justice major and took a State job right out of college almost a year ago. I loaded him up with 7 mags, cleaning kit, cleaning mat for a Glock, and 1000 rounds of range ammo. This son was a better shot than I have ever been after less than 100 rounds years ago.

Kind of a bittersweet gift to him as I am really proud of this kid and glad I could pass the Glock to him but it finally sunk into my thick head that our son is a full grown man now and I can’t be the one protecting him any longer.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
...it finally sunk into my thick head that our son is a full grown man now and I can’t be the one protecting him any longer.

You did the next best thing: you gave him something to protect himself with.

Posts: 17133 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do grow up. At least you can be proud of the (former) pup.

Congrats on being a good father.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my oldest son said he was going to be a Deputy Sheriff I wasn't happy about it . It's a dangerous world we live in and naturally I was worried about him .
He's been on the road for 5 yrs , has become an FTO and loves his job . It took him a long time to settle down and get focused on something and all I can do is say a prayer for him and be proud that he's doing something he loves . The Sheriff is a good guy and supports his people and that helps .
I gave him my Glock 43 when he graduated to use as his off duty carry gun .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The gift of weapons between warriors is a solemn and honored tradition, doubly so when it is a father and son. He will treasure that pistol forever

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments. We had known our son was going to be in some branch of Law Enforcement since he started college but we (and him also) just wasn't sure where he would start. He was first heavily recruited to work in the state prison in Jefferson City, MO but declined that offer (and my wife and I are very happy with that decision) and focused on getting accepted in the State of Missouri Probation and Parole Dept and was able to get in pretty quickly...he started off monitoring and tracking "Clients" that have ankle bracelets on.
We actually live in the District that is in his territory and that is great. The only semi-auto handgun he can carry while on duty is a Glock and if it is a 9mm the only ammo allowed is 147gr JHP...no firearm or ammo is provided.
Thanks again and yes I am one proud Dad Smile

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You say, “I can’t be the one protecting him any longer.”

You’ll still always have his back but your realization is a real watershed moment to prepare you for more watershed moments in your life ahead.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Well done, SummersAtTheLake!

quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The gift of weapons between warriors is a solemn and honored tradition, doubly so when it is a father and son. He will treasure that pistol forever

Well said, HayesGreener!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your son’s new position, and for you on giving your son the Glock. It’s a tough feeling to realize your children have become full grown adults. I passed on and gifted my 22 y/o son some firearms and have also enrolled him into training classes with me once he turned 21. This may be the last summer he’s around so I made the decision that I would allocate between 3500-4000 rounds for training over the next few months. I am enjoying our time and hoping he continues to develop the correct mindset and skills to defend himself in any situation. I might suggest enrolling in classes together, the skills he picks up might be the ones that save his life. The memories and bonding will stay with him forever.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post