SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
89 SHO was my first car purchase after college and marriage. Loved that car - except for the clutch. Ford didn't install a clutch that was suitable for the torque that engine created. Was on my 3rd clutch when I sold it...

And it definitely was a sleeper. I took out a lot of higher dollar cars on the way home from work when I had that car. Usually from a 50 or 60 mph start we'd see each other side by side on the highway and run it up til someone gave up (usually around 100). Took it from Knoxville to Birmingham AL one time on a very deserted stretch of highway when it was very new and still balanced well. Got it to 140 and smooth as silk - wife asleep in the passenger seat.

I don’t know the specs on the car the picture is from I just found the picture using a googly goo photo search but I am guessing it is pretty nasty.
There is a Vortech Supercharger nestled next to the intake and looks like the fuel system has been bumped up slightly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I was tempted to get one of those back in the day. As I understand it, they had an engine rev limiter on it because of the acc on the serpentine belt. The Yamaha motor was likely capable of 9000 rpm.

Must say tho, it cornered like a pig, and under a heavy pedal the under steer sucked. Nothing like rear wheel drive to spirit through a corner!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I agree, it wasn't built for the corners. But it was fun as hell from the red light.

On my test drive, I accidently burnt rubber leaving the dealer parking lot because I just wasn't used to it yet and it had more juice than any previous car I'd owned.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does a Mustang Cobra count? While that SHO intake is definitely a work of art I like this “intake” a bit more. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the looks of the 87-92 Chevy tuned port injection intakes. They were fairly new when I first got into hot rodding so just something I read about constantly in Super Chevy and Hot Rod magazine.

My favorite system of all time though is the one from my favorite motor. The 1969 Chevy DZ302 made for SCCA Trans Am racing. This produced enough go juice mixture to keep the HP climbing all the way passed 9,000 rpm. Cool

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does a Mustang Cobra count? While that SHO intake is definitely a work of art I like this “intake” a bit more. Big Grin

While I like your taste I was referring to actual intake manifolds and not forced induction Razz

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned one of these 91 or 92 Loaded SHO. That manifold was beautiful.

But OMG that car was a DOG.

Much slower that my BMW 530. AND then it started to fall apart. every electrical part died. When the sunroof motor went that was it... BAM. Trade In. See ya SHO.

Bottom line: Pretty Engine... Slow Junk Dog.

John

Posts: 345 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
The 1969 Chevy DZ302

I like the way you think.
That is my dream engine as well.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Continental IO-550 310 HP. It's a 550 cubic inch flat 6 air cooled GA engine.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post