SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
A 1989 Taurus SHO was listed on BAT and I was reminded how I have always loved the look of the intake manifolds on these motors.

I am seriously considering buying one to have it bead blasted so I can hang it on the wall in my shop.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they were a hoot to drive, too. Too bad by ‘93, they introduced the Taurus police package with the regular v-6. Even then they kept breaking motor mounts. Worst patrol car ever.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost broke out in a sweat thinking about having to pull it off and put it back on again but yes, it is very cool looking.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
A ‘89 SHO on BaT just sold at $6500.
Cool cars.
(I have my BMW scheduled to sell on BaT in two weeks.)

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Agreed...that is a sexy intake. I always thought the body styling of the early SHOs made them awesome sleepers, too. But I agree with sigspecops....the thought of having to service that thing makes me shudder!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha??.

Dude, I thought you were a Pontiac guy??? WTF??? Razz

We might have to force you to sell yours! A 68 or a 69, right?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Those are very pretty. They're nearly the same as the Ford Windstar intake manifolds.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That generation of SHO with the Yamaha engine was AWESOME.

And yes that intake is SEX. I miss the days where we could actually see our engines instead of a plastic billboard with the company LOGO.

A lot of folks don’t realize how serious that car was back in the day. Not quite Grand National or GNX in its sleeper to power ratio but lots of tech and speed for the day.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

One look at that picture and I’m thinking, “Whatever that manifold is on will pass anything but gas stations. Big Grin

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
A ‘89 SHO on BaT just sold at $6500.
Cool cars.
(I have my BMW scheduled to sell on BaT in two weeks.)

That is the one I was referring to. Very nice example.

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Is there a better looking non-supercar intake manifold than this one by Yamaha??.

Ohh, I am but the manifold alone is not anything to write home about you have to had the carbs and air cleaners to make it just good.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Those are very pretty. They're nearly the same as the Ford Windstar intake manifolds.

The early ones had the same open runner style but were injection molded plastic and just did not have quite the same look. Granted I am pretty sure this is not in a Windstar it was the only engine shot I could find. The newer Windstars and the rest of the 3.8s went to the one piece injection molded lumps without the independent runners.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
The LT5 engine in that same era of C4 model Corvettes is impressive too.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Will we ever see a DOHC in a Corvette again? The C4 ZR1 was something else for sure.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Wilson intake manifold is a hand built work of art.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Will we ever see a DOHC in a Corvette again? The C4 ZR1 was something else for sure.

Yes, supposedly the upcoming high performance versions of the Corvette are going to have a 5.5 liter flat plane crank DOHC V-8.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift...

WRT that Corvette motor, why is it necessary to engineer it such that the oil filter dumps a mess down the back of the engine during every service? Man I hate that. Perhaps if I saw it in the car I’d understand, but I’d rather have a remote filter mounted somewhere that didn’t result in an oil spill when I remove it. They should run the exhaust manifold directly beneath it to make the douchebaggery complete.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
89 SHO was my first car purchase after college and marriage. Loved that car - except for the clutch. Ford didn't install a clutch that was suitable for the torque that engine created. Was on my 3rd clutch when I sold it...

And it definitely was a sleeper. I took out a lot of higher dollar cars on the way home from work when I had that car. Usually from a 50 or 60 mph start we'd see each other side by side on the highway and run it up til someone gave up (usually around 100). Took it from Knoxville to Birmingham AL one time on a very deserted stretch of highway when it was very new and still balanced well. Got it to 140 and smooth as silk - wife asleep in the passenger seat.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Pretty hard to top that intake look for non supercars. That would have been a cool engine in a lightened Mustang with a T5 behind it. Would have cost more than a 302 or 351 so not much reason for it.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Taurus SHO was a cool car, very quick for the day, I'd hate to have to remove and reinstall...

I"ll go classic retro Hilborn Fuel injection with downdraft stacks...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post

I'd kinda like to have one of these also...

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post