SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on having my firearm shipped to me in Dallas, TX.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on having my firearm shipped to me in Dallas, TX. Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have someone in Pensacola take it to a FFL and they can ship it to Dry-Fly in TX since he's an FFL.

They can send it USPS which is less expensive.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Have someone in Pensacola take it to a FFL and they can ship it to Dry-Fly in TX since he's an FFL.

This is the logical answer, but then I am spending 3 days in Dallas waiting on a handgun, assuming I can fill out a 4473 with expired state ID

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

This is the logical answer, but then I am spending 3 days in Dallas waiting on a handgun, assuming I can fill out a 4473 with expired state ID

This would not work, as if you are a Florida resident you cannot buy/take possession of a handgun from an FFL in Texas.

I don't think Texas has a 3 day wait, but of course you are at risk of the Feds not giving you an immediate approval.

If you can gather the id necessary, I again suggest buying a small shotgun in Texas and selling it later.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

This would not work, as if you are a Florida resident you cannot buy/take possession of a handgun from an FFL in Texas.

I don't think Texas has a 3 day wait, but of course you are at risk of the Feds not giving you an immediate approval.

If you can gather the id necessary, I again suggest buying a small shotgun in Texas and selling it later.

Edited: I forgot about that, can only buy in my state of record or where my permanent duty station is.

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From ATF.gov

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

JMO, It appears that it is lawful for it to be shipped to a third party person in TX to receive for you, as long as they don't open the package.

It must be addressed to you C/O that persons name and address. It's going to have to go by FedEx or UPS but you'll be subject to their carrier contract rules.

Not sure why you'd need to fill out a 4473 to take possession of your own firearm, it's not a sale/transfer of ownership. IF you have a family member or friend that can receive it, not open it, and give it to you, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't from a federal standpoint, again JMO.

Texas law would be another issue.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
For a handgun you can only buy in your state of record, but a shotgun or rifle can be bought in any state.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a handgun you can only buy in your state of record, but a shotgun or rifle can be bought in any state.

He's not buying a gun, he's trying to move his gun from FL to TX.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
From ATF.gov

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

JMO, It appears that it is lawful for it to be shipped to a third party person in TX to receive for you, as long as they don't open the package.

It must be addressed to you C/O that persons name and address. It's going to have to go by FedEx or UPS but you'll be subject to their carrier contract rules.

Not sure why you'd need to fill out a 4473 to take possession of your own firearm, it's not a sale/transfer of ownership. IF you have a family member or friend that can receive it, not open it, and give it to you, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't from a federal standpoint.

Texas law would be another issue.

The potential issue is having someone else ship it to him. He can ship it to himself, as per the language you quoted. It's a different thing to have someone else ship it to him.

Arguably a relative or friend could box it up for him and bring it to Fedex or UPS, with a label that has OttoSig as the shipper and the recipient. But we're splitting some small hairs there, and I wouldn't want to be the one who does that.

And truly the intent of that provision is for me going hunting or shooting out of state, and shipping my gun before I leave.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He's not buying a gun, he's trying to move his gun from FL to TX.

I was talking about him buying a gun in Texas. BUT, if it goes to an FFL, there is no difference in buying or not-it's the transfer that counts.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He can ship it to himself, as per the language you quoted. It's a different thing to have someone else ship it to him.

quote:
I was talking about him buying a gun in Texas. BUT, if it goes to an FFL, there is no difference in buying or not-it's the transfer that counts.

True, it's how shipping it out is handled, can a parent/spouse ship your firearm to someone for you to receive.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It may be legal for an individual to ship Otto’s gun to Otto, but I’d put money on UPS or FedEx refusing to do it.

Posts: 10975 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
OttoSig

Florida Department of Agriculture gives priority to Active Duty and Veterans when originating or renewing their license. The last time I renewed mine I called to make an appointment and asked if I needed to bring my DD214 again. The nice lady informed me that because I am a veteran they will take me on a walk-in basis and I didn't need an appointment. I was in and out in under an hour with my brand re-newed permit still warm from the printer.

Obviously double check that this is still the case as I last renewed mine 4 years ago.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
OttoSig

Florida Department of Agriculture gives priority to Active Duty and Veterans when originating or renewing their license. The last time I renewed mine I called to make an appointment and asked if I needed to bring my DD214 again. The nice lady informed me that because I am a veteran they will take me on a walk-in basis and I didn't need an appointment. I was in and out in under an hour with my brand re-newed permit still warm from the printer.

Obviously double check that this is still the case as I last renewed mine 4 years ago.

That is excellent info...mine is so far expired I have to complete the whole process again hut any expedited service will be greatly appreciated! I'll take advantage of that for sure.

ETA: THANK YOU!!!