SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yet Another Bear Attack; This One Fatal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet Another Bear Attack; This One Fatal Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
quote:
A Jackson Hole businessman, hunting guide and father of five was found dead Saturday afternoon near where he was attacked while retrieving a client’s elk carcass Friday afternoon.

The body of Mark Uptain, a 37-year-old guide for Martin Outfitters, was discovered around 1:15 p.m. Saturday about a quarter-mile to the northwest of where he and client Corey Chubon were processing an elk that was struck by an arrow Thursday. The elk was located and attack occurred the next day. Pending an investigation, it’s unclear if Uptain had been fed upon, but Teton County Search and Rescue Coordinator and incident commander Jessica King said that his body was intact.

This one means a bit more to me. This is the district I retired from, three years ago. Martin Outfitters wasn’t familiar to me, but I know just where the attack occurred and am certain I know which outfitter’s business Martin bought out.

There was a fatal attack on a contract employee doing monitoring in the Wilderness in 2014 in the Teton Wilderness.

Sounds like the guide’s client panicked and ran off, albeit suffering from injuries of his own. “I threw him a pistol,” or words to that effect from the client who survived.

My opinion is that there are too many bears in the GYA. That USFWS was correct in de-listing a now recovered species. That the man/apex predator equation is out of balance because a protected species has lost any innate fear of humans. That, once again, a federal judge places his/her personal values and biases above those of the experts in wildlife science.

This guide was the father of 5 kids. What a shame.

Article JH News and Guide

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My opinion is that there are too many bears in the GYA.

Not just the Greater Yellowstone, the entire Northern Rockies Ecosystem.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

I'm taking my wife to the Tetons next week, for our anniversary. You can bet your sweet bippee we'll have a bear bell, bear spray, and a .44 magnum with us on our hikes.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Bears are exceptionally motivated during hyperphagia. Tough time to be field processing big game.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would be scared shitless. But I hope I wouldn’t have run off....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuckRogers2000:
That sucks.

I'm taking my wife to the Tetons next week, for our anniversary. You can bet your sweet bippee we'll have a bear bell, bear spray, and a .44 magnum with us on our hikes.

A great many of the trails in the Tetons are closed due to bear activity. My wife and I were there a few months ago, and we weren't able to do any of the hiking trails that we had planned on doing. Just too many bears they said.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I was on a wildfire crew back in 2000 near Yellowstone; there was abundant bear sign even then, and saw a griz not 100 yards from an angler trout fishing.

What really got my attention were the claw marks on a big pine way up where I would have needed a ladder just to touch them.

I don’t relish the thought of trying to recover any big game in bear country, especially something larger than a deer that I couldn’t quickly drag away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Bears are exceptionally motivated during hyperphagia. Tough time to be field processing big game.

Hunting seasons and the field processing of big game have taken place in the fall since there have been hunting seasons.

This isn't a problem with hunters, seasons, or the field processing of game. The problem is too many bears.

It's plain and simple for anyone with a brain.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Hunting seasons and the field processing of big game have taken place in the fall since there have been hunting seasons.

This isn't a problem with hunters, seasons, or the field processing of game. The problem is too many bears.

I think there’s another side of the equation. Guide/outfitters and hunters from the area told me prior to ESA listing of the Grizzly, that the aggression displayed around downed game was largely absent. The mutual respect necessary for safer human/Grizzly interaction in the back country is now largely absent because several generations of bears have learned that humans are nothing to fear.

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Several years back a neighbors Son was retrieving a bow killed cow elk. He was attacked by a grizzly sow, with cubs as he approached the kill site.

He is NO pistol marksman, but luckily stuck a 180 gr forty S&W slug into her brain before she got to him.

Just got a text yesterday from a friend bowhunting SW of St Mary's (GNP entrance) on Reservation land. They encountered a male grizzly at close range, but no incident...Luckily. Time to look at thinning the population a little.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I wasn't disputing the "too many bears" claim. Just adding the more aggressive attribute that can come this time of year.

I'm all for a bear hunt. Wolves too.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
NW Montana has even more Grizzly being introduced, you know, because more is better. If someone could enlighten me and others on just what the primary motivation seems to be. I believe I know the answer, my tin foil hat has yet to let me down in noodling out the particular strain of stupid in these diseased wild life managers brains.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time to look at thinning the population a little.

They are trying. Wyoming was supposed to have its first Grizzly hunt in many years. Ecos filed lawsuits, Federal judge blocked the hunt.
These bears need to be hunted to control their populations and relearn some fear of man.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
NW Montana has even more Grizzly being introduced, you know, because more is better. If someone could enlighten me and others on just what the primary motivation seems to be. I believe I know the answer, my tin foil hat has yet to let me down in noodling out the particular strain of stupid in these diseased wild life managers brains.

Because somehow humans have removed themselves from being part of the natural ecosystem. You and I don't belong outdoors, much less in the mountains of the west. This nonsense pisses me off to no end.

Then when you find problem bears are relocated to remote (prime hunting) areas it compounds the problem. Adds a new dimension to helping a buddy get his elk out of the woods.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
NW Montana has even more Grizzly being introduced, you know, because more is better. If someone could enlighten me and others on just what the primary motivation seems to be.

I believe the goal of the tree hugging, anti-hunter types is to try to create ecosystems that don't need man as an apex predator, thus eliminating the need for hunting altogether. Further, if you don't need hunting, you don't need guns. The world would be such a happy place.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about. Wolves, here, are of course the answer! The saviors of Yellowstone! Never mind that it's not the reality. Why should facts get in the way a a wonderful story.

https://www.facebook.com/Appre...os/1763709230595548/

Here's more the holistic reality:

https://www.accuweather.com/en...w-of-rivers/70004699

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then when you find problem bears are relocated to remote (prime hunting) areas it compounds the problem. Adds a new dimension to helping a buddy get his elk out of the woods.

They’re not relocated to “remote areas,” they’re relocated to areas with vehicle access. At least G&F got to where they would discuss the drop point with me before release. When I first came up there, they would call me after the fact and just let me know where they released. Little victories

You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mutual respect necessary for safer human/Grizzly interaction in the back country is now largely absent because several generations of bears have learned that humans are nothing to fear.

I believe that is exactly what's going on. The population is up and the ones that are running around now have no fear.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they should have listened to the forrest rangers , I guess, if they even called the forrest ranger, that is

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Leo, maybe you could add something to your tag line like.
"I have no idea what I say, means."

It would just clarify things for the rest of us. Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
they should have listened to the forrest rangers , I guess, if they even called the forrest ranger, that is

Decisions on endangered species are not made by land management agencies like the US Forest Service; that is the responsibility of the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). They ruled that the Grizzly bear was “recovered” in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and said the bear should be delisted. That should be viewed as a victory for enviros and the ESA. It’s reportedly the goal anytime a species is listed—to recover it such that it is no longer “endangered” and can safely be removed from the list. Enviros and their leftist judiciary don’t see it that way; they see delisting, not as a victory, but a loss of control. States like Wyoming then re-assume their rightful place as managers of the wildlife within their borders.