SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Treadmill recomendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treadmill recomendations Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I do not want, but rather need a treadmill If I don't get my weight down, the post office is going to be assigning me my own zip code.

Ideally, I would be able to try out particular models. I know you can buy treadmills through TV ads and online, of course, but I would feel more comfortable being able to try out the thing before I buy it.

Budget for this? I don't want to spend a lot on a treadmill but at the same time, it needs to be durable. Let's say I'm looking fr the least expensive model that's been proven durable.

Thanks for all recommendations.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You could go into local gyms and ask to see their treadmills. Or buy a day pass and try them out.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Nordictrack and have two but they are about 20 years old so I don't know if the quality has remained the same. I paid about $1300 each for them at the time and would guess they have gone to $1800 or so. You should consider the incline models to raise heart rate. I tread six days out of seven. You probably will want a television and VCR type machine for entertainment while treading. I do much of the grocery shopping for my wife and I. A wise man once told me regarding snacks "You only have to resist it once in the store". If I buy a box of cookies I will eat them. If I leave them in the store I can't. These machines are pretty heavy if you are taking it to a basement. Not a one man job if you aren't Charles Atlas. Also you might check local private ads. A lot of folks buy these and just don't use them and resell.
Some are very low use.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Picked this up in April. Now, $30 less than I paid. A plus when you don't necessarily want to put on clothes to take a walk. It comes in pink also is the misses likes it. Wink

In addition, put 20lbs+ in a backpack for a mini ruck session.

Walking Pad Under Desk Treadmill, Portable Treadmills Motorized Running Machine for Home, 6.25MPH, No Assembly Required, Remote Control, 240 Lb Capacity (GREY1) https://a.co/d/1zdpcbv

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NordicTrack 6.5S. Have had it about 10 years no problems. Don't remember the price. Great machine to hasten a heart attack, particularly when it's in the incline mode. One heavy piece of equipment, partial assembly required. Assemble in place would be a good idea. Difficult to move, turn corners, fit through doorway.

Awake not woke

Posts: 570 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
I would stick with a name Brand at the least. I’ve tried many different kinds of treadmills at hotels around the country. The good ones all tend to run together, but the bad ones stick out, they are terrible to work out on at best, and literally dangerous at worst. Sticking treads and jittery motion have almost sent me down.

I’ve also tried just about every type of spin bike out there, and by far the absolute best bike I’ve ever ridden is the Peloton. I get such a good hard workout that I bought one for my house and carry my peloton bike shoes to ride in the hotels when I’m working… can’t say enough good about it.

Based on my love for the bike, I would have no problems getting a peloton tread if I wanted a tread mill. The best part is the screen and workout instructors. You have to pay like 45 dollars a month, but it will give you access to thousands of taught video workouts to motivate and direct your workout. I didn’t think it would make much difference, but I find I work much harder during a directed workout as opposed to just getting on and going. The subscription is NOT required and you can always just do your own workout. My wife was hesitant at first, but I
LOve finding workouts on the subscription.
They have a 30 day in home trial, again, wholeheartedly recommend based on my bike experience.

https://www.onepeloton.com/tread

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have a ProForm GTS Crosswalk that I have had for several years now.

It was not very expensive when I got it ~ around $400 as I recall.

I don't see that particular model now in their web page but the other offerings seem quite nice.

https://www.proform.com/treadmills

Academy has the model ($474), don't know if it is a current one but mine has worked just fine for years now.
I use it once or twice a week.

https://www.academy.com/p/prof...fb409e2&gclsrc=3p.ds

Walmart Offering ($399)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro...733e501fb0&gclsrc=ds

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nordictrack makes great stuff.

My first choice.

I would also check out places near you that buy out gyms going out of business and check out their inventory and prices.

Gyms open and fold often, and then the companies buy the equipment up at pennies for the dollar and sell them for hefty profits. Around here they sell at about 50% of retail for commercial treadmills.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
para, I know you asked for treadmill recommendations (*), but, before you go spending your hard-earned money I urge you to consider this

and read this: The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40

In short:
  1. Cardio is good for cardio-vascular health, generally not so much for fat loss
  2. As we age, maintaining muscle mass and bone strength becomes more important than cardio-vascular health (for most people)
  3. You can gain cardio-vascular benefits from strength training
  4. One generally does not gain much, if any, muscle mass or bone strength from cardio training
I can share more with you on this subject if you like, otherwise I'll just drop it with this.

(*) I feel I would have been remiss had I not brought these things to your attention.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a NordicTrack EXP 10i on a closeout sale, and we are happy with it and the iFit subscription for professional trainer workouts.

It looks like this model is no longer available on closeout.

I did my shopping due-diligence and this model and what other name brands offer in this performance and price range is a sturdy and reliable machine for moderate to moderate-plus workouts.

If one needs a machine just for casual walking then there are less expensive options, and if one is a hard-charging runner training for long distance or aggressive mid-distance runs then they’ll need something more robust and pricier.

I opted for home delivery and self set-up. The ‘track’ portion of the machine is HEAVY and a very awkward / off balance lift with no convenient handholds so getting in into the basement was a bit of a challenge (especially to try and do it safely).

Assembly was pretty easy and straightforward with good written and on-line instructions.

Not sure what the into the home delivery and set-up charge is but it is probably worth considering if it is reasonable.

Good luck with your shopping!

Please lmk if you may have any questions.

P.S. - Oh, and the iFit babes are easy on the eyes and ‘fun’ to follow around. Wink

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
The best fat loss on a treadmill is a higher incline and slow speed. Promotes weight loss but not muscle loss. Start as high as you can with the incline and a speed of 2 - 2.5.

Caveat!!! - I managed to injure my foot doing this, so I now use the stair master for weight loss, which sucks because it seems much harder!
Oh, and more good news, the first 20 minutes is really just a warm up, so figure anything after that is actual weight loss work.
Good luck!

Posts: 793 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:
The best fat loss on a treadmill is a higher incline and slow speed.
The basis for your assertion is...?

Everything I've read says the best cardio for fat loss is HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) and SIT (Sprint Interval Training). You can do these on any cardio machine, simply running, or doing supersets weight training.
quote:
Promotes weight loss but not muscle loss.
Cardio does not promote muscle mass loss--unless your diet is out-of-whack. It simply doesn't promote muscle mass gain like strength training does.
quote:
Caveat!!! - I managed to injure my foot doing this, ...
I'm not surprised. Sounds like a recipe for RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury).
quote:
Oh, and more good news, the first 20 minutes is really just a warm up, ...
Not really. Time is time, exercise is exercise, and calories expended are calories expended. E.g.: Other than for endurance and cardio-vascular conditioning purposes: Twenty minutes three times a day is the same as sixty once-per-day.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a treadmill again I would get a Sole F80 last years model. After looking it up it appears Sole went to the tablet style screen for 2023. I don’t know why treadmill makers are complicating the units.

I bought a Bowflex T10 after finding a new unit on Facebook marketplace for half price. My biggest complaint is a treadmill with a tablet screen. My Bowflex requires WiFi to use a damn treadmill. I cannot just get on and hit start. Nothing is better than waiting for your treadmill to install an update at 5am when you just want to get the workout over with.

I’m not sure if your height and weight so unless your 5’2 and 135lbs any treadmill under $1500 is going to be crap.

To recap, your going to have to pay a few bucks for a decent treadmill and stay away from anything with a tablet style screen. I would rather buy a stand alone tablet or tv to watch.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
FB marketplace is loaded with them

https://www.facebook.com/marke...arch?query=treadmill

We have an old NordicTrack that still works just fine

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
First question is how much clothing do you need it to hold? Wink

Not what you asked, but I’ll be “that guy” - Have you considered an elliptical instead of a treadmill?

Much easier on the knees, less force with foot strikes, similar exercise.

I’ve been very happy with our ProForm elliptical (consumer line of NordicTrack). We got a deal, free machine with 3 year subscription to the iFit app that is great if you are a visual person and like the idea walking/running different locales all around the world.

App has lots of other things too, supports bike, rowing, yoga, meditation and such. It was a big factor in my successful loss of 150 over 12 months.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10949 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best fat loss on a treadmill is a higher incline and slow speed. Promotes weight loss but not muscle loss. Start as high as you can with the incline and a speed of 2 - 2.5.

Caveat!!! - I managed to injure my foot doing this, so I now use the stair master for weight loss, which sucks because it seems much harder!
Oh, and more good news, the first 20 minutes is really just a warm up, so figure anything after that is actual weight loss work.
Good luck!

I believe it's becoming common knowledge that you don't exercise to lose weight, you lose weight so you can exercise. Exercise has it's own benefits obviously as it leads to healthier habits in general. The best example is that the brain uses 20-25% of your daily calories consumed. You won't get close to that working out, without considerable effort. It's mostly about how the body uses energy and fuel.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I have the Precor TRM 211. I like it. It's affordable as it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but still has all the functions I'll ever need.

A couple things that convinced me to choose it:

The service guy where I bought it casually mentioned that he gets fewer service/repair calls for Precor treadmills than other brands.

Secondly and most important, most treadmills require regular maintenance to lubricate the belt. The Precor does not.

Posts: 1457 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
First question is how much clothing do you need it to hold? Wink

And be sure to get a box of Swifter Dusters! LOL

Think I'd peruse the used equipment stores and ads, Peloton would top my list with all the geehaws and doo-dads, keeping my brain engaged and wanting to get on it.

Nordic Track would be next.

Started walking myself, requires no additional cash outlay, an iPhone with ear buds to listen to music, movies, podcasts makes the time fly.

If you have an apple watch cellular model with iPods you can listen to things without having to carry the phone.

Outside of walking and a Treadmill, think I'd go with a water rower... Be easier on the ol prostate and tail bone than a bike.

Posts: 23563 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You should view your own depiction rather that constantly dismissing cardio.

Nothing wrong with it and yes weight training is better and diet is better than weight training.

But is doesn't mean there is no value.

Some people can't do weights and something is better than nothing - keep it moving is a nice start.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I go to the facility where I got physical therapy earlier this year. They offer a low cost monthly fee to use the equipment on their “Independent Program” and there’s the added benefit of my PT being available for questions/advice. All that to say: the treadmills there are Sports Art T645. They’re nice, versatile, and quiet. If the winter gets too bad to drive into town, I may look for one on Craigslist or something.

I use the treadmill mostly as a warmup for the stretching and strength building exercises to follow.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post