SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Treadmill recomendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treadmill recomendations Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I got a Precor on craigslist out here for $130 bucks. That sucker is 1000 easy, and came out of a gym. There were lots of options on CL out here, not sure about your area. I don't have Nextdoor or other sites but the wife finds deals on stuff there too.

I like having one that inclines and will read your heart rate if possible. If not, have a way to take your heart rate so you can walk as slow as possible while still in Zone 2. I can get my HR barely over 100 with a 2 incline and walking at 3mph. It's easy. The hard part is keeping the mind busy.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6983 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
NordicTrack 6.5S. Have had it about 10 years no problems. Don't remember the price. Great machine to hasten a heart attack, particularly when it's in the incline mode. One heavy piece of equipment, partial assembly required. Assemble in place would be a good idea. Difficult to move, turn corners, fit through doorway.

I purchased the NordicTrack 6.5S a month ago. It was $795. I also paid an extra $20 to have it delivered to the room of my choice. I wanted it in an upstairs bedroom. The unit weighs 205 lbs. The best $20 I've ever spent. LOL

Due to the weight, you need two people to safely assemble it.

I primarily needed it for Cardio. I'm 67 y.o. (6' 180 lbs.). I could tell I was "running out of gas" during physical activity sooner than I used to and losing muscle mass.
I'm very happy with this purchase. It's a solid machine for home use.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your health insurance.
It was going to be cheaper and healthier for me to join the local gym.

My insurance Gives me $300.00 a year for the gym membership.And you end up using the weight machine.Ydont have to take up space in your house.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Check Craigslist for a Precor. They're VERY expensive when new. But used, can be had for not much more than a fancy TV model. And when you hit your target and want to get that big thing out of your way or whatever, you'll recoup it back on resale.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You should view your own depiction rather that constantly dismissing cardio.
But is doesn't mean there is no value.
I've never dismissed cardio or claimed it had no value. In fact I believe cardio an important component of any fitness regimen. It's certainly part of mine. (My very first piece of new gym equipment when I started building-up my own home gym was a Concept 2 rower.)

What I'm trying to point out is cardio isn't the most effective way to promote fat loss.

Furthermore: From a strictly functional standpoint, the things upon which one is called to do in life: Which seems more likely to be needed: The musculoskeletal fitness to be able to lift (incl. one's self), bend, stretch, and survive impacts and falls, or be able to walk, run, or swim for a long time?

If you haven't read BBRx, smschulz, I urge you do so so. He gets right down into the science of why strength training is more necessary than cardio--especially as we age. (He even gets into how cardio can actually be detrimental to ones fitness in older adults.)
quote:
Some people can't do weights ...
Nearly everybody can do weight or resistance training to some degree, or they wouldn't be functional at all.
quote:
... and something is better than nothing - keep it moving is a nice start.
Agreed: Anything is better than nothing.
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Check your health insurance.
It was going to be cheaper and healthier for me to join the local gym.
Cheaper: Certainly. I could have paid for my old gym membership for about the rest of my life expectancy for what my home gym cost me. But, healthier? Why?

With my home gym I can work out in any time I like and I'm not exposed to whatever covidflumonia is going around at the time. (Or id10ts camping-out on the equipment I want to use dicking-around on their phones.) I do miss the eye candy, though

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I also bought a Precor off Craigslist, although now I'd certainly look at Facebook marketplace. Treadmills are very high on the list of things that people buy new, don't use, and sell at a steap discount when they get tired of looking at it.

My suggestion and what I bought is a rock solid machine that should last forever, without all the doo-dads and gee-haws. The frame, motor, belt, will last forever. The electronics, especially touchscreens, will not. Buy a TV to mount on the wall in front of you and watch movies or whatever you want while using the treadmill.

Walking is great, inclines make it better, but I agree with those who say that diet is the best way to lose weight. You simply cannot exercise enough to burn off bad eating.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A couple other resources: A Play It Again Sports, if you have one nearby, and other places that re-sell used gym equipment.

There are two or three of the latter w/in about twenty miles of where I live. I checked-out a couple of them. They had lots of cardio equipment--incl. treadmills, elliptical trainers, and stair climbers. Many of them refurbish/recondition the stuff and have delivery and setup options.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...I do not want, but rather need a treadmill...

I know it's not a treadmill, but I would recommend a Waterrower for conditioning and weight loss.
I've had mine for several years and it's awesome. Excellent workout and easy on your joints, which is important for us older guys.

Quiet, effective, looks good and doesn't take up much space.

Something to consider, anyway.

https://www.waterrower.com/us?...7EAAYASAAEgIXnfD_BwE

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sole! Mid to High End models. We started with the F63 (I think) and now have the F80
1st one lasted about 12 years with most weeks seeing 40+ miles.
Replaced with a newer model when the computer board died.
We did get a dud that would not keep the belt straight on the rear roller.
I firmly believe this was an assembly error by the “white glove” local contract tech and not the actual fault of Sole.
They were awesome to deal with and replaced the entire thing and did not just throw parts at it hoping it would track.
We asked for a different assembler and this one has had zero issues.
My wife uses it daily at least 5 miles.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25443 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I have a Sole F85 that is at least 13 years old and still going strong. It is only used for walking, but the ability to walk at up to a 15 degree incline burns the calories while saving the joints from the impact of running. Preventative maintenance of any treadmill is key (belt lube, adjustments, etc).

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
Sole if you can swing it, but Nordictrack would be okay. My wife is a runner and uses treadmills hard. Her first was a Nordictrack and it held up okay. I replaced a motor in it and few other broken parts over the years she had it. Not a bad product but didn't hold up for someone that runs half to full marathons.

Went to Sole next and it really holds up well to being used hard. Got a great deal on it used so I'll second the recommendations to check the classifieds. Those New Year's resolutions go out the window and you can find like new equipment for at least 50% off.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We got a used ProForm locally, that my wife found on FB Market. Older, but fully functional.
I won't use it, but my wife likes to get up early & walk a couple miles. For $100 not a bad deal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True -- US made and excellent customer service.

Many miles on my machine, durable and would not buy another brand.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a reconditioned commercial gym model. I’ve got a refurbished Cybex that was from a Planet Fitness that I bought during Covid Lockdowns for about $1000. It hasn’t missed a beat. It’s been durable, stands up to me running, doesn’t beat me up using it, etc. I’d highly recommend going the route that I did. Get a refurbished commercial gym model Life Fitness, Cybex, or Precor, and you won’t regret it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Get a refurbished commercial gym model Life Fitness, Cybex, or Precor, and you won’t regret it.
This is the way I'd be inclined to go were I in the market for a treadmill.

posted Hide Post
Good advice here. I would definitely buy used. We bought a Vision Fitness. My understanding is they are lower end commercial. My bride uses hers five days a week and we’ve had it at least 15 years. No issues, runs smooth and quiet.
I just checked our local Craigslist. Two for sale, both for under $400 each. If ours broke tomorrow, I’d would go right out and buy another.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to buy new, just get one from Costco, if you have access to one, and get the 5-year concierge warranty.

We got one that way and started having belt troubles 26 months after we bought it. I had probably put 50mi on it in two years. The manufacturer wasn’t taking our calls and Costco asked if we wanted a replacement or to return it. At the time we were about to move so we dumped it on a cart at the store, wheeled it inside and got a full refund.

Not saying everyone’s situation will be similar, but a treadmill is a treadmill (ultimately) and you mainly just need to choose to use it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at used Sole treadmills. A lot out there.

Many say Like New , xx months or years remaining on manufacturer’s warranty.

I contacted Sole and they responded their warranties are not transferable.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a Landice and it's a great machine but I wouldn't call it budget friendly. On the lower end of the price scale I'd look at Sole. For sure check marketplace and craigslist. Resale on even the best is dirt cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark60,

Posts: 3469 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info, I would add one thing when selecting a treadmill, get the widest belt you can.

I have used narrower belt machines and they are a pain as you have less room if you ever veer off to one side. Doesnt seem like it would be a big deal but it is.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post