SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Not sure how to fix this(motorcycle grip warmer control)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure how to fix this(motorcycle grip warmer control) Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I am not sure what to use to try and glue this back together. What I should use (epoxy) or if I should reinforce it some how. This is the controller of of the factory Yamaha heated grips on my Super Tenere. I don't know why they only put two little screws to hold it to the mount.

The below pic is the mount.

This is the back of the controller.

And these are the parts that broke off

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to glue the broken bits back on.

Fill the broken area on the controller with JB weld or similar, let it cure, then drill new holes a bit undersized and re-secure with self-tapping screws.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
What year is your tenere? It an ES model?

Is this the integrated controller on the left handle, that contains the light controls, horn, and computer toggles? Or is this a standalone box?

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It’s a 12’ not an ES. It just controls the grips.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Valpo, overall how you rate the bike. It's on my short list and would value the feedback.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is the back of the controller solid? If so, I'd clean up the mounting plate as well as the back of the controller and use an adhesive on the whole thing.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The back of the controller is like a composite/plastic.

YAT-YAS

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Hey Valpo, overall how you rate the bike. It's on my short list and would value the feedback.

I really like the S10, it is a all around capable bike. It can hustle through corners, it is capable of single track and definitely likes gravel roads and open highway.

I have 78k miles on this bike as of last week and it has been to 46 states including Deadhorse, AK. I have spent months at a time on the road with it and it has never sanded me.

It's not a GS, so it isn't loaded with the tech you tend to find on those (the ES version has some)which is both good and bad. The stock seat sucks, it is oddly shaped and slopes down towards the tank, the Yamaha panniers are flimsy.

The ups:
Reliable
parts are reasonable
dealer network
YES warranty was worth every penny
capable-but not great at extremes
price (I bought mine used with 125 miles on it for $14k. There were new ones going for around 11-12k the bike didn't sell well.
This bike has done everything I have asked of it and done it well. It is good enough off road that it is easy to gorget how big it is and get yourself in trouble.

Downs-
Weight, it's heavy and carries its weight high.
No cruise control (later ES models had CC)

Maint- Yamaha replaced to 1 headlight harness under a recall and one under warranty. (the connectors where the cattached to the headlight were to short and caused the harness to arc and melt (You just lost one headlight)
YES replaced a cam chain and tensioner, want bad had just gotten noisy startup.
YES replaced a rear shock at around 45k, note don't take a fully loaded adv tourer off a 2 foot drop off.
I had the forks serviced a year ago not because they were leaking but because the oil was so worn out. Outside of that its been all regular service.

If you want to talk shot me an email and Ill send you my number.

YAT-YAS

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would look to a plastic bonding material to attach the broken ears back to the box, then when you mount it, use a Zip tie around the box to secure it to the bike in case they break or just carry some zip ties with you in case they give out again.

Most likely you need to just find a replacement part, check motorcycle salvage yards online, ebay, etc if you don't want to drop the coin for a new part.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
You can’t order the part from Yamaha, you have to order the whole kit at $450. I had it zip tied on just in case. I am thinking epoxy the broken pieces then maybe some type of adhesive to the backing mount to try and take the pressure off the screws.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
Two pieces of Scotch Extremely strong adhesive strip. Locks together. Holds 10lbs.

I've used it on a GW, HD and on a BMW to hold GPS, Val 1 and Sat radios in place.

A big roll at Lowes or Home depot is around $35.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Winner right there. It's what holds my dashcam mounts to my windshields. You can use dental floss to cut through it should want to remove it.

Scotch Adhesive Mounting Tape

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I think I might have some of that.

YAT-YAS