SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone interested in abandoned military bases and Cold War sites?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone interested in abandoned military bases and Cold War sites? Login/Join 
Picture of moose201
posted
I've spent a good amount of my vacation time traveling across the country to visit some of these abandoned facilities. I have a website and recently updated it with many photos, my observations and a bit of history. I'll be updating the website periodically so check in every now and then if you're interested or follow the site on Facebook where I'll be announcing new content.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: moose201,

Posts: 265 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting.
I have had the opportunity to walk around a Nike missle base in NJ some 50 years ago. Was also able to walk part of Raritan Arsenal at the same time. Both interesting but you had to work to see anything. Lots of large underground munitions bunkers at the Arsenal.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some photos of KI Sawyer AFB somewhere. If I can find them, I will e-mail them to you. The base closed in 1995 and is semi-abandoned.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This is about 30 minutes away from me. GNAL, a very strange Cold War era project.

https://www.dawsonnews.com/loc...t-dr-james-mahaffey/

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have some photos of KI Sawyer AFB somewhere. If I can find them, I will e-mail them to you. The base closed in 1995 and is semi-abandoned.

Oh thanks, I appreciate that.

Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This is about 30 minutes away from me. GNAL, a very strange Cold War era project.

https://www.dawsonnews.com/loc...t-dr-james-mahaffey/

I’m vaguely aware of this place. Thanks for sharing the article, looking forward to reading it.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Would love to take the tour at Pima and see that B58 in real life. If its 2 hours by bus, the place must be huge.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I grew up in SW OK and there were a good number of Atlas Missile Sites all around the area. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and saw them raise a missile out of it's silo.

I've found and walked over and around many of the abandoned sites. Kind of an eerie thing.

I was able to buy a book about the Atlas Missiles and how they came about, it's a fascinating read.

I've been to the Titan Museum in Sahuarita, that is an awesome tour, I highly recommend it to anyone.

I've been to the National Museum Of Nuclear Science & History in Albuquerque several times, this is another place I highly recommend visiting. Plan lots of time, they've got a 9 acre outside park of planes, etc. Inside has tons of exhibits, something I stood in awe of was they have a couple of the actual, real, genuine atomic bombs that were recovered from the B-52 incident off the coast of Spain. They're dented but never went off. They also have a Polaris Missile hanging from the ceiling.
It is just the most interesting place, you have to go. It's just a few minutes off of I-40 on the Eastern edge of Albuquerque.

Los Alamos has a great museum too. Los Alamos, well you just need to google it.

I've wanted to tour the Trinity Site and see where the 1st Nuclear Bomb was set off. They offer tours twice a year, one day each. This is also in New Mexico.

Thanks for this, OP, very interesting thread and I've bookmarked your website.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I went to this Soviet air base in East Germany in 1989, but long before anyone had any inkling of the Wall coming down. At that time it was a pretty risky thing to do. The following summer - no problem. This gentleman even took my address and wrote me a letter and sent a photo of his family. A few years later I went back there and took some photos of the abandoned underground hangars. Can't find them now, but I'll find them eventually.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moose:
Check your outlook mail!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I grew up in SW OK and there were a good number of Atlas Missile Sites all around the area. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and saw them raise a missile out of it's silo.

I've found and walked over and around many of the abandoned sites. Kind of an eerie thing.

I was able to buy a book about the Atlas Missiles and how they came about, it's a fascinating read.

I've been to the Titan Museum in Sahuarita, that is an awesome tour, I highly recommend it to anyone.

I've been to the National Museum Of Nuclear Science & History in Albuquerque several times, this is another place I highly recommend visiting. Plan lots of time, they've got a 9 acre outside park of planes, etc. Inside has tons of exhibits, something I stood in awe of was they have a couple of the actual, real, genuine atomic bombs that were recovered from the B-52 incident off the coast of Spain. They're dented but never went off. They also have a Polaris Missile hanging from the ceiling.
It is just the most interesting place, you have to go. It's just a few minutes off of I-40 on the Eastern edge of Albuquerque.

Los Alamos has a great museum too. Los Alamos, well you just need to google it.

I've wanted to tour the Trinity Site and see where the 1st Nuclear Bomb was set off. They offer tours twice a year, one day each. This is also in New Mexico.

Thanks for this, OP, very interesting thread and I've bookmarked your website.

Agree with your comments. The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History is just packed with great exhibits, both inside and out. They have a very comprehensive collection of nuclear weapon systems and informative documentation.

And yes, the Titan Missile Museum is a gem....so well preserved and so much to see and learn.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very cool stuff! I follow a lot of this content as I grew up in New England where there were a ton of bases, almost all of which are now closed. Nike installations, DEW installations, airbases, naval facilities, etc.

Thanks for posting this.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12935 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
To the OP, thanks for sharing. Great web site you have made. I grew up during the Cold War and my Dad was in the military. There are a couple of generations of Americans now that don't understand the threat we had back then.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9420 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
New England is littered with de-commissioned Nike sites.

This one is about 15 minutes from where I grew up.

Avon/Simbury, CT Nike Site

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Old Nike missile sites circle the DC area. One is even in the middle of a golf course. The nearest to me was along Snouffer School Road in Montgomery County. The control site is now a park, and since my wife was then a Park Police officer, I got good access to tour the underground control center complex, basically a large concrete bunker. The silos were a couple of miles further down the road, near Goshen Road.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very Nice, wish I'd known about the Tuscon sight, was there a year ago and would have taken some time to check it out!

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
As kids we used to sneak into the old Nike missile base outside of Philly between Valley Forge and Paoli.

Posts: 675 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Great stuff!

I’ve only been able to look at a couple of your posts so far but really cool. Thanks for posting.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I live about 15 miles north of the highest point in Ohio. It was an Air Force radar installment back in the day. Today it is home to a joint vocational school among other things.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Sigmund loves this stuff. I'm sure he will be along shortly.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post