SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone interested in abandoned military bases and Cold War sites?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone interested in abandoned military bases and Cold War sites? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've been on two Boneyard tours and have been to the Titan Museum 3 times - taken various family members there

the Titan has several different tours available, with reservations well in advance - I'd like to do one of the longer ones once they get up and running again

Posts: 53847 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I've been on two Boneyard tours and have been to the Titan Museum 3 times - taken various family members there

the Titan has several different tours available, with reservations well in advance - I'd like to do one of the longer ones once they get up and running again

I've been there. IMO, a must see tour.

Thread drift: it's interesting to note that in the 1960's, taxpayers financed the Cold War, Vietnam War, Space Program, Missile Defense program and we didn't run up a huge debt those years.

Of course, back then damn near everyone could find a well paying job and companies didn't leave America.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Here are two photos from Sandy Hook N.J when my son and I visited.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I was a Titan II missile mechanic, stationed at DMAFB from '77-'80.

Seeing that video sure brought back some memories!

We would dispatch - driving trucks - to the silos, and usually would stop on the way at a 7-11 for drinks and snacks. Sometimes the workers would be puzzled as to what the AF was doing "way out here"?

Always liked the look on their faces when we told them there was an ICBM missile just down the road. Big Grin

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've driven down several times just to hook the discone antenna up to my HF radio and make a few calls

Posts: 53847 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The "Texas Towers" are interesting history, though you can't visit them without scuba gear.

Texas Towers

Tragedy at Texas Tower 4

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
One of my old haunts, before and after (minus the tactical nukes and long hours of alert). Chuck Yeager's old command of the 417th FBS in the 50th FBW, flying the F86H, to become 50th TFW in my day, and still later the 50th Space Wing in Colorado:

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Cool website! I submitted a couple suggested places of interest on your webform and also sent an e-mail to your address listed on the site.

Thanks for creating the site! Looking forward to more.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We go over to the SAC Museum outside Omaha once a year, the kids love running around those massive bombers and its almost all inside. Really want to head up to Minuteman Missile in South Dakota but haven't made it there yet.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeeperxd:
Here are two photos from Sandy Hook N.J when my son and I visited.

Grew up just a few miles from Sandy Hook, I’ve climbed all over those many times. The whole base there is cool to explore.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1142 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Fort McClellan in Alabama is interesting. The old BAQ is now a small motel and I stayed there many times while attending races at Talladega.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I grew up around the corner from this, been inside it a couple times when it was used as a town sponsored haunted house:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Banks_(Massachusetts)

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
All the USAR units in the Orangeburg NY and Old Tappan area are abandoned Nike missile works. I drilled out of one for five years.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post