SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else get jammed up with the FAA situation this morning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else get jammed up with the FAA situation this morning? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

What in the blue shit does the FAA have against bullet points and lowercase letters???
Probably a left-over from the days when this information was distributed by TeleType©, as it was when I started flying. Yeah, I'm really that old.

When I first started working for Western Union, we still had TeleType machines that used punched paper tape with 5-level (5-bit) Baudot code.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

...The FAA is a mess. They prioritized racial equity, environmental bullshit, and inclusion so it really should be no surprise that the system is in trouble.

But hey, at least we have a gay Transportation Secretary.

And Biden has nominated a black for administrator. He does not appear to be qualified and is in some legal trouble, but hey, it's about diversity!

Will Mr. Washington fly to Washington?

by Jeremy Lott, Contributor |
December 29, 2022 05:38 PM

Phillip “Phil” Washington, President Joe Biden’s nominee to head the Federal Aviation Administration, appears to be in trouble. Scandals and legal issues from a previous job are a drag factor.

Washington was nominated in July. The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee has yet to hold a hearing on his nomination.

One large reason for that was that Washington was named in a search warrant in September in connection to the job he held before his current post as CEO of Denver International Airport.

Washington was the head of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority from 2015 to 2021. It is alleged that he issued a no-bid contract in the amount of $494,000 to a nonprofit group headed by one of Los Angeles County Supervisor and Metro board member Sheila Kuehl’s friends to shore up Kuehl’s support...

Complete article:

https://www.washingtonexaminer...on-nominee-joe-biden

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Just invent a reason why all caps is racist or somehow doesn't recognize transgender swimmers....and the FAA will change it tomorrow.
These days you don’t even need a reason, just say it’s racist. No proof needed.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Just invent a reason why all caps is racist or somehow doesn't recognize transgender swimmers....and the FAA will change it tomorrow.
These days you don’t even need a reason, just say it’s racist. No proof needed.

Indeed.

FTR, since I've thrown some pretty well earned heat at your employer...I've only met less than a dozen controllers that deserve the shade I've laid out here. Nothing personal at you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
OMG just saw this posted in an aviation group I'm in:

Caption is, "The NOTEM system is back online"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US NOTAM Disruption Caused By 'Personnel Failing To Follow Procedures'

BY LUKE BODELL
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

The FAA continues to investigate the NOTAM system outage.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has claimed that this week's failure of its Notice To Air Missions (NOTAM) system was caused by personnel failing to follow the proper operating procedures. The system outage, the first in NOTAM's history, led to widespread delays and cancelations across the US.

Procedure error causes NOTAM failure

The FAA said that "personnel who failed to follow procedures" were responsible for the NOTAM system outage earlier this week. It isn't precisely clear what procedural failures caused the system to go offline, but the FAA's preliminary investigation "has traced the outage to a damaged database file." Importantly, authorities appear to have ruled out the possibility of a cyberattack...

Complete article:

https://simpleflying.com/us-no...causes-notam-failure

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I read they are blaming two “contractors” (of course) for modifying a live production system which should have never been done.

Blaming contractors is a classic .gov move which absolves them of any responsibility and makes placing blame much easier.

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post