SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Politics Actors and Musicians
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politics Actors and Musicians Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Are you able to enjoy the music and films of artists who have differing political views? I am speaking of enjoyment, not supporting their causes?

No question it affects my view.
Not usually to the extent in an outright ban but those negative thoughts do cross my mind which I try not to.
However, there are many who if I know are in a movie for instance - I may choose to not watch.
Would I not watch a movie with say ... Sean Penn or George Clooney - not it is a lib-oriented picture but otherwise I probably would if it looks interesting.
Yes there are a few on that list, I refuse to watch Colbert for instance and will change the channel seeing this asshole even if a commercial. Mad

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Maybe six or seven years ago, no. Since then, the political rhetoric has ramped up to a point where yes, there are actors and musicians whose work I can't enjoy, won't sit and listen or watch. Most nauseating are the ones who make a living off shooting people in movies and then turn around and say nobody needs a gun, why would you need a gun?

I'm going to a wedding later this year. My friend is marrying a Hollywood producer and I've been assured that some of these names will be there. I'll be polite, I won't cause any problem's on my friend's day, but I am not looking forward to being in the same room as one notable whose films I used to enjoy until he decided to repeatedly speak up after every school shooting about how gun ownership in this country is a mistake.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
After the United States had withdrawn from Vietnam, the harm done to that country and the murderous results caused by the communist takeover of Cambodia were seen but ignored by many left leaning "artists" that insisted on immediate withdrawal of our military, regardless of consequences.

The movie The Killing Fields came out in 1984, centered around the murderous Khmer Rouge who swept through the country after the US withdrawal and plunged Cambodia into a period of darkness. Not sure if you can say the film tempered Leftist sympathies that were in full-throat in the 70's or, it highlighted the art of film-making while not quite giving the complete picture of the situation of the labor camps and the social upheaval.

I still can't look at blue plastic bags and not think of the muddy graves.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Most nauseating are the ones who make a living off shooting people in movies and then turn around and say nobody needs a gun, why would you need a gun?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Most nauseating are the ones who make a living off shooting people in movies and then turn around and say nobody needs a gun, why would you need a gun?

Don’t forget Euroscum, Liam Neeson

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

Yes, absolutely. But Stallone is special; he has personally worked with the Brady Campaign, and is on record stating that the govt should go door-to-door and confiscate firearms.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I hear or see celebrates go on a rant I take note and make an effort to NOT participate in supporting them.
It's the least I can do.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I personally don't give a shit what anyone other than me thinks.
If I want to watch a movie, I watch it. If I want to listen to a song or a band, I listen.
Their thoughts or opinions on anything else don't register on my "things I'm going to dispense a fuck about today" list.
I only do me and leave everyone else in the world to do them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly, I don't care, but there are some that are so obnoxious I just can't look at them and not think of their stupidity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigspecops,

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Didn’t know that about Stallone. I’ll add him to the list.
There is a whole bunch of actors that so will not pay to watch in a theater or a rental. Think Neeson.
There’s a few I will go to see in a theater because they keep their mouths shut about politics, ( as far as I know).

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
so,

saw The English Beat last night,

while it is only one original member left, still a great show, with a good band

they did Stand Down Margaret, which was a very political tune back in the day, against Thatcher and somewhat Reagan,

Dave Wakeling, after the song, commented rather sarcastically, that the song was written about the problems in theh 70's\80's , as in recession, unemployment, potential WW3 etc etc and what would we know about that today,,,,,,

BTW, Margaret is pronounce basically with 2 syllables, as in MARG Ret, and it so happens that Bi den, fits,, which is what I was singing,,

meanwhile , many artists are raging leftest (wakeling, for example, supposedly worked for Greenpeace for years)

I like the song for what it is, or the songs, and pretty much ignore the politics of the artist,

Big Costello fan, and he is a bit left and likes to comment as such during concerts,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have actors who will cause me to avoid going to their films, Jane Fonda leads the list, but there are quite a few others. I have less difficulty with musicians/singers, because I haven't listened to any popular music since the 1950s. I mostly listen to (old) Classical, like pre-1900.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Public Enemy fan here. Which would probably be more upsetting for them than me if they knew.

That's just the first that came to mind, there are many others.

Jane Fonda though - don't get me started.

I met Chuck D once. He was one of the nicest and sincerest people I have ever met in my life. He talked to me for like 30 minutes.

Me I can easily separate the art from their personal politics. Big fan of Robert DeNiro but don’t want and don’t listen to anything he has to say on politics. That goes for Penn (a great actor) and anyone else. Just because they are great at art doesn’t mean I want to hear their personal opinion, on anything.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Some I can tolerate as long as they're not always in-your-face with their political/woke views. Others, like Springsteen, Bono, Neil Young, Fonda, DiNiro, Cloony, and a bunch of others, just make me want to curse every time I hear their names.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not use my hard earned dollars to enrich the coffers of these filthy democrats no matter what their occupation is. I was a hard core bruce springsteen fan years ago. When I realized what a hard left POS he was, I banned him from my home and destroyed every disc or video I had in which he either wrote, produced, sang in or was even mentioned in. Same thing with robert deniro. I USED to be a huge fan. USED to own many of his videos. Not anymore. I burned them when he decided he was going to use his fame to destroy President Trump. We are at war with these people. They are my enemy. They are your enemy. They hate us. Well I hate them back. Every single filthy democrat, every single filthy entertainer that is supporting things like blm,crt or any other anti-American platform or mindset, that is on the anti-Trump band wagon will not see one single cent of mine. The only way we can hurt them is through our wallets. Why any one of us would contribute to them is beyond me.

Edited to add- the same people that I mentioned above and their kind are down in Manhattan right now waiting and cheering the possible indictment and arrest of President Trump. Think about that next time you want to buy one of their movies or CDs.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It depends on how irritating they are.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I turned off Liam Neelson after hearing his anti-gun position. Pretty hypocritical for someone who has made millions portraying gun use.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
For the most part, I can put it aside. With notable exceptions. Some folks real life douchebaggery is so over the top that it interferes with my suspension of disbelief.

Mmmmmattt Daaamon...

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO there ought to be a special tax bracket for Celebrities, say 98% and they can select which program those funds go to. So, they want to defund the police then 30% of their income goes to the local Police budget so that public funding can go to other needs. Maybe then the would actually consider just how expensive the crap they promote actually is.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post