SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which apps to do like/recommend and why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which apps to do like/recommend and why? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Occasionally I'll stumble upon an app that makes me wish I had known about it sooner. Which are your favorites?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Android? iOS? Windows? Linux?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I like Gas Buddy. Free and tells me where the cheap gas is.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"Heavens Above" is cool if you like to look at the sky. It's Andriod only, or at least it was.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you're a guitar player, iStroboSoft for tuning is great.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a skier or a snowboarder, “Slopes” is a fun app to track your vertical, number of runs taken and speed, along with some other parameters.

It’s a battery hog though.

“SkyView” is another app to identify stars, planets, constellations and other features of the sky and space.

Open the app and hold it up to the sky and it pretty much identifies everything that is in and out of view.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Fuelly (detailed tracking of MPG etc. )

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New York Times Crossword Puzzle Subscription. You get many years worth of archives, plus the new puzzle every day. I love crosswords, but only hard ones. I can’t find anyone else’s that are close to as good. Cheap for many hours of entertainment.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Upside - fuel and grocery discounts.

Goodrx
- Prescription discounts
Singlerx

Storm Radar

ERG 2020 - App version of the Emergency Response Guide used by FD/Police/EMS for fire & CBRN incidents

USPS - Informed delivery

NASA

ISS Spotter

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like the language learning app, Duolingo. I also like Google Translate, not just for use with Duolingo, but for translating from or into, many different languages.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
MyChart – linked to my health care provider. Shows my upcoming appointments in chronological order. Allows me to send and receive messages with my physicians. Provides a convenient bill notification/payment mechanism. And more. Smart phone. Free.

mSecure – my password manager. Smart phone & laptop (synchronized). $15 annual fee.

I have MANY other handy apps, but I consider those two to be absolutely essential.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter turned me on to Wordle and we are having a small contest every morning as to which of us can find the word in the fewest tries. She usually wins (she is a tehnical writer) but once in a while Ol' Dad comes out first.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I use a good majority of the apps suggested here and have found them very useful.

Maybe not what was intended by the OP, but on the PC side I've found the "everything" search app very useful and much faster and thorough than the built in search program. This is for searching for files on your system, not the internet. Searches are instantaneous.

This comes from voidtools which is easy to find so I won't post a link.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If you travel on commercial airlines, Flighty, Tripit and Tripcase are very good, mostly better than the Airlines' own apps.

Triplist is also very good for creating a list of what to take and what tasks that need to be performed prior to leaving.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Paprika 3. It's a godsend if you like to cook. Manage and sync recipes across devices, and my favorite feature allows you to skip all the bs in every single food blog. Copy the url and paste into the paprika browser, hit download, and it rips the ingredients and directions out and lets you save them in an easy to access format.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
“Alarmed”. It’s a reminder app (“change furnace filter”, “return library books”, etc.). It is pretty basic, and there is probably a better version out there, but I use this app daily.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Paprika 3. It's a godsend if you like to cook. Manage and sync recipes across devices, and my favorite feature allows you to skip all the bs in every single food blog. Copy the url and paste into the paprika browser, hit download, and it rips the ingredients and directions out and lets you save them in an easy to access format.

+1 for Paprika3.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus 2 for Paprika! Love it!

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My most used android apps:

Signal
Earthmate (connects to my inreach)
Drive/Connect/Smartphone Link (Garmin apps for my Garmin GPS in the coach and my watch)
Logos Bible (Gives me access to my whole Logos Library and some useful tools for study on the fly or impromptu sermons/services)
Audible (audio books)
onX Hunt (helpful for private property ownership information on the fly)
Tapatalk (most of my online forums that I frequent are available on this app, sigforum is not)
VoiceRecorder - automatically record all calls and backup to a secured cloud

Then I have various social media apps... of course I also have apps for my credit cards, and airline travel memberships

Fendertune was a free guitar tuning app

I have like 3 Godox apps, because every light seems to need its own app. Grr.

Hornady has a decent reference app.

PC Builder is useful when researching parts and components for compatibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I used Paprika for a long while but went back to the 3x5 cards in a recipe box. Didn't want to lose any of my recipes should an electronic catastrophe happen.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post