SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Land Buying Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Land Buying Question Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
Don't forget about septic system costs and maintenance. If your property is wet you may need a expensive system with regular maintenance.

And how about domestic water supply?

Drilling wells is expensive!!!!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
If the golf course is providing the drainage, when they switch to subdivision, the amount of water will increase and it could be a substantial increase.

then there's the risk of neighbors selling to a developer. A 5 or 10 acre lot can be turned into a subdivision as easily as a golf course can...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would be less of an issue if there were not shown on the fish and wildlife wetlands mapper.

Sadly, once wetlands appear it's almost impossible to change it. We have a case where decades ago an owner built a drain. Sometime later it showed up as a stream. Nobody can say how this was done. Another case concerned a wetland. An old timer snorted "It wasn't until the drainpipe got blocked." Sure enough, there was a pipe but it stayed a wetland.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get aflutter about anything in the raw land department that wasn't dead solid perfect. There is always another parcel.

You can't fix land by repainting and putting up new drapes. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
The other land I'm looking at is 20 acres that is about 15 minutes from us. Mostly old field in the boonies but it would require pulling environmental permits to get across the low quality wetlands along the frontage road. Would be less of an issue if there were not shown on the fish and wildlife wetlands mapper.
ullery

As a builder / developer I agree that 5 acres isn't much given what you want to do. The neighbors could be a royal PITA and could make your desire for a little country a nightmare.
I would get the larger parcel mentioned above after finding out about the environmental issues and gaining access.
In the long run you'll probably be much happier.
Keep in mind that suburbia is constantly moving out as you already alluded to and in 5 years you might not be as far out as you originally thought.

I agree that you would be getting a lot of hassle for 5 acres especially with bad neighbors and a subdivision encroachment. Also seems tricky managing storm water on your property. We can't very well follow Daniel Boones advice to move when you can see the smoke from your neighbor's cabin but space is good

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post