SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The culmination of over a years work - personal record bicycle ride today.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The culmination of over a years work - personal record bicycle ride today. Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
April of last year I weighed 350 pounds, couldn’t walk more than 1/2 mile without wheezing and dripping in sweat. Had a personal “come to Jesus” moment (figuratively and literally) and decided to DO something about it.

No surgery, no commercial program, no drugs or snake oil, just old fashioned eat less, exercise more. Started walking and Peloton, built up stamina and pretty soon I was dropping weight and working out every day. June 18th will be one year straight with at least one Peloton or NordicTrack workout a day (sold Peloton for NordicTrack Jan 2022). Ended up getting in the best shape of my life (save for early USMC days) and have lost over 150 lbs.

Blah, blah, blah.. more info on my journey can be found in this thread starting on Page 23 for anyone interested.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...35/m/2060072444/p/23

Anyway, I signed up for Wounded Warriors 300 mile Challenge fundraiser for the month of May. 300 miles in a month is easy for me these days, as I usually total 600-800 miles a month between Exercise bike, real bike, elliptical, and rower. Dec 2021 was my high with over 1000 miles logged. Not like I needed a “Challenge” or excuse to ride, but it was an opportunity to raise money for the charity.

As I have progressed, when weather allows, I have been taking longer and longer rides on my real bike. 20 miles, 30 miles, 60 miles, 62 miles. Back when I was in mid 20’s I did a 50 mile bicycle ride in Mexico, up until this year that was my record. Doing three rides of 60 miles or better in the past couple months surpassed that record after 35+ years.

I decided to set out for a personal best this morning and surpassed my goal of 75 miles, riding over 80 miles before getting back home (and then 5 more on the NordicTrack to keep my streak going). Weather was misty/drizzly but not bad, overcast sky. Temps in the mid-high 40’s. A nice gloomy day, as a day of remembrance for the fallen should be.

About 28 miles in on a gravel trail (old railroad grade) I took a tumble [Should have paid better attention to the “Slippery When Wet” sign on the bridge!]. Smacked my head pretty hard, but didn’t lose consciousness, nothing broken (except cycling glasses), remembered my name and where I was so I continued on.

Definitely a day I will not soon forget. Mr. Arthritis knee is a little angry with me, but should be fine after a few days of light activity. Recovered pretty quickly and am now starting to think about hitting the “Century” mark. I would have never thought it would be in reach, but definitely possible and in my future.

By the numbers:

80.36 miles, 6 hours 2 minutes moving, 40 minutes stopped time, moving average 13.4mph
Average cadence of 71 RPM, max 111
Average heart rate 120bpm, max HR 141bpm
2129’ elevation gain
3875 calories burned
Abandoned front bike fender
Rashed elbow, Pulled groin, Dented helmet, Head injury (minor)
And a filthy bike

What an ADVENTURE! Great way to spend Memorial Day out in nature with some helmet time in my own head to reflect on our fallen service members as well as other things that have been weighing on my mind.

A few photos from along the way…

Heading out

Damn bridge!

Local cemetery (Arlington WA)

My ride at the final destination before heading for home

Right back where I started

The route

The damage

*edited with corrected/update data after looking at bike computer info vs Apple Watch

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Marine!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing “O”
Simply outstanding. A worthy goal, hard work and determination still gets things done. What an accomplishment.

An inspiration for others for sure.

Congrats!

Silent

Posts: 1030 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That's an epic journey for the year and for the day. Best of luck on your 100 mile day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Semper FI... Congrats on that accomplishment....... Check out the "Hotter-n-Hell" bike ride out of Wichita Falls, Texas usually in late August.... that is 100 miles in 100(+/-) degrees F... Starting line in excess of 10,000 riders.... Supported with rest stops/with refreshment / sag support along route for mechanical/ as well as medical support along the route...... Late 80"s/early 90"s completed the 100 miles distance in 7 hours 8 minutes actual ride time on bike... 38 states and several forgien countries represented...All sorts of bikes road bikes/mountain bikes/tandem bicycles/recumbants/even "penny farthings"(high wheel). If interested in something like these type of rides check out any local bike shops/clubs .......................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2027 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looking good! Respect!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
150 lbs all-natural weight loss in one year is amazing. Bravo! Cool

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I am in awe. Bravo Zulu!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!!!

I just did my personal best ride this last Saturday on the Katy Trail......35 miles at average speed of 14mph with 1960 calories burned in 2 and half hours with one 10 minute break at the half way point.

My old beat up body can't tolerate a workout a day. I can go three to four days in a row and then need a recovery day. Mixing it up with cycling, rowing, treadmill, and boxing with a little weight lifting. Just started doing a basic Yoga and stretching program to do a couple times a week, especially on recovery days.

Posts: 3955 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Great work! That's a long ride, glad you had your helmet on for that spill on the bridge. This eating healthy and exercising thing isn't necessarily fun, but it sure is satisfying when you set milestones and see results. Stick to it and keep up the good work!

Posts: 8667 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, it takes a lot to do what you're doing, very few have the commitment to take on something like that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
No surgery, no commercial program, no drugs or snake oil, just old fashioned eat less, exercise more.

Good old no BS excuse hard work. You sir are the definition of dedication, determination and perseverance.

Q

Posts: 26494 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Sweat Equity' Right There...Congrats!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8956 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the accomplishment. 80+ miles is absolutely no joke. Glad you’ve found a hobby you enjoy that has gotten you back in shape and helped you drop so much weight. Keep up the great work.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That’s quite awesome. Congratulations on a lot of miles and getting in good shape. Nice work!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Two things - First, make sure you replace that helmet. It did it's job, it saved your head, now get a new one.

Second - Instant Karma, since you broke your glasses, and I happen to work in that industry, PM me your info and I will send you a new pair.

And again, congrats on your journey. Your dedication to improving your health has been inspiring.

Posts: 2315 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Incredible journey! Great work!

That's awesome Holdem! Good on you sir!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow! That’s a LOT of weight loss and some dang long rides you’re going on! Excellent!! Congrats!

I’ve been taking my son on bike rides. We started doing 3-4 mile runs to a park and then a little trail riding but now we’ve slowly increased our distance to close to 10 mile rides at least twice a week. He rode a drop bar gravel bike recently and just fell in love with the speed and ergos of that bike.

I’ve put 450 miles on my ebike in 2 months but I don’t think that one counts. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice work "Stud". That is an amazing journey. Congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Excellent 911boss! Great ride! Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post