SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High schoolers are training to drive 18-wheelers amid a shortage of truck drivers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High schoolers are training to drive 18-wheelers amid a shortage of truck drivers Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Note that these happened under largely manual control. Maybe a computer, tied into the current ship's sensors, and maybe a few new ones, could have spotted and reacted to the large commercial ships that the human sailors missed and collided with. Also, the Navy is looking to introduce large numbers of unmanned and/or optionally manned ships in the not too distant future.

This goes to a major point in favor of automated trucks. They don't have the failings that humans do. The don't get tired, the don't get bored and distracted, the don't use alcohol or drugs, etc.. How many truck drivers are killed, and how many other people are killed by trucks per year, that are under human control. I would be illogical to expect that automated trucks will not get into accidents or kill people. It is quite possible, and maybe even likely, that they'll kill less people than human driven trucks.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course. Maybe he watched the Jetsons too much as a kid. The Navy has enough problems with collisions as it is.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Note that these happened under largely manual control. Maybe a computer, tied into the current ship's sensors, and maybe a few new ones, could have spotted and reacted to the large commercial ships that the human sailors missed and collided with. Also, the Navy is looking to introduce large numbers of unmanned and/or optionally manned ships in the not too distant future.

This goes to a major point in favor of automated trucks. They don't have the failings that humans do. The don't get tired, the don't get bored and distracted, the don't use alcohol or drugs, etc.. How many truck drivers are killed, and how many other people are killed by trucks per year, that are under human control. I would be illogical to expect that automated trucks will not get into accidents or kill people. It is quite possible, and maybe even likely, that they'll kill less people than human driven trucks.

quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course. Maybe he watched the Jetsons too much as a kid. The Navy has enough problems with collisions as it is.

Being that three out of four accidents involving big trucks are caused by the passenger vehicles around them, I don’t see how being autonomous will help, unless all vehicles are autonomous.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Better sensors, faster reaction times, constant concentration. And that one out of four is probably thousands a year.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being that three out of four accidents involving big trucks are caused by the passenger vehicles around them, I don’t see how being autonomous will help, unless all vehicles are autonomous.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Better sensors, faster reaction times, constant concentration. And that one out of four is probably thousands a year.

quote:
quote:

quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then why don’t you automate all cars in the next ten years?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They probably will. But there isn't as much money to be made by doing that as there is for trucks. The working hours rule for drivers keeps trucks idle a large percentage of the time. Eliminate the driver, and the truck is driving a much larger percentage of the time.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then why don’t you automate all cars in the next ten years?

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
They probably will. But there isn't as much money to be made by doing that as there is for trucks. The working hours rule for drivers keeps trucks idle a large percentage of the time. Eliminate the driver, and the truck is driving a much larger percentage of the time.

That only improves efficiency for long, terminal-to-terminal freight. The majority of a driver's time is spent waiting on the shipper / receiver to unload. You are basically saying that A.I. can replace team drivers and inter-modal freight, which is a tiny fraction of the industry.

Look, you don't know anything about the industry. You think you understand, but your responses demonstrate that you have zero experience. Why don't we just table this for ten years and then we can revisit it then. In the meantime, quit pontificating about an industry in which you have no experience. We need drivers NOW, and constantly telling young folks that this industry is going away won't encourage new entrants.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You're right. I'm on the outside looking in. So I may not know what I'm talking about. But Freightliner does. Volvo does. Fedex does. And there are many other involved. All of these companies have experienced truckers working for them on this.

Fedex is already shipping in automated trucks (albeit with safety "drivers" on board) in testing. If this was a ten years out project, so much money wouldn't be going into it now.

I admit you know more then me about this. But I'm basing what I'm saying by looking at what people who know more than you about it are doing, and putting their money into.

quote:
quote:

That only improves efficiency for long, terminal-to-terminal freight. The majority of a driver's time is spent waiting on the shipper / receiver to unload. You are basically saying that A.I. can replace team drivers and inter-modal freight, which is a tiny fraction of the industry.

Look, you don't know anything about the industry. You think you understand, but your responses demonstrate that you have zero experience. Why don't we just table this for ten years and then we can revisit it then. In the meantime, quit pontificating about an industry in which you have no experience. We need drivers NOW, and constantly telling young folks that this industry is going away won't encourage new entrants.