SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High schoolers are training to drive 18-wheelers amid a shortage of truck drivers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High schoolers are training to drive 18-wheelers amid a shortage of truck drivers Login/Join 
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? That's the type of thing I would think computerized trucks would be better at than human drivers.

How many computers go tits up on a daily basis vs truck drivers on the road? Power losses? There are all kinds of shit that can go south with automated systems running the truck without a driver there as a backup. If you still need a driver in the truck, ya know, just in case, it kind of defeats the purpose.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
When autonomous trucks start having accidents where people are killed (and this will happen), then the reaction of the public will determine if they become accepted as the norm or not. I'm not completely convinced that people will be okay with trucks cruising the highway with no one on board and getting into accidents where deaths occur. With human drivers, it seems more acceptable to the public in my opinion because it's understood that people make mistakes. On the other hand, people expect perfection from computers and when that doesn't happen and someone gets hurt as a result, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a backlash against autonomous trucks. Imagine an autonomous truck plowing into a line of stopped traffic on the freeway in bad weather. The media would have a field day.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with this. But the way technology keeps advancing, who knows?
Forty years ago if you told someone that one day you would have a cordless
telephone that would fit in your shirt pocket that has more computing power
than a Saturn rocket, they would have said you were nuts!

quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
When autonomous trucks start having accidents where people are killed (and this will happen), then the reaction of the public will determine if they become accepted as the norm or not. I'm not completely convinced that people will be okay with trucks cruising the highway with no one on board and getting into accidents where deaths occur. With human drivers, it seems more acceptable to the public in my opinion because it's understood that people make mistakes. On the other hand, people expect perfection from computers and when that doesn't happen and someone gets hurt as a result, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a backlash against autonomous trucks. Imagine an autonomous truck plowing into a line of stopped traffic on the freeway in bad weather. The media would have a field day.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You don't think they haven't thought of this. The elevation of roads don't change The computer will have a detailed 3D map of the entire country in it's memory. Any construction changes will be tracked. This is probably done already. This is an easier problem.

The bigger problems are the instant, dynamic ones. What happens when another truck jackknifes in the rain right in front of it. But they plan for that also. These are not rinky dink operations. Hundreds of millions of dollars are going into this. And they're testing them for millions of miles. I'm pretty sure any situation you can think of, or have experienced, they've dealt with.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Why? That's the type of thing I would think computerized trucks would be better at than human drivers. All physics and reaction time. Dealing with human created problems would be more difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
There won't be auto-trucks from "coast to coast" anytime soon. Just the thought of these things going up and down many of the mountain passes out west without a driver is ridiculous.

The truck has to bleed its energy before it starts the downgrade. The AI will have to know about this ahead of time. Are we going to use signage? What about when that sign is unreadable. Sensors? Every large grade will need them, and they will need to be maintained. Maybe you could use mapping.

All of this sounds great. However, there does come a point where installing enough infrastructure is more costly than the driver.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned earlier.
The Volvo I-See already stores hills and such using a camera.
It knows when to down shift and what speed it needs to be at.
Inclination and altitude is already stored.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
They'll probably blame the humans that got killed for doing something wrong -- A human is still involved in, thus prone to mistakes - thus their fault.

Not saying it is true or makes sense - but that is how the PR machine (for any involved parties that had invested / would make money from the autonomous vehicles / cheaper logistics) would spin it.

Plus add the consumers that are theoretically getting cheaper prices in the stores due to the automation - they'll be fine with a few deaths / broken eggs in the name of 'progress'.

quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't think they haven't thought of this.

I see you've got an answer for everything. Having spent 20 years on the road, however, I can tell you that there are many unforeseen circumstances. UNFORESEEN. You cannot plan for all of them. You have to adapt. Perhaps we will get to the point that A.I. will be able to adapt to every circumstance. Great. When that happens, we will basically have sentience robotics. However, I can tell you from experience that you cannot plan ahead for every contingency.

Let's take lumber hauling, for example. Sometimes, no matter how well it's strapped, lumber works out of the middle bunk. Who will deal with that? So it's snowing. Who is going to put on the chains. Are we going to station personnel on every mountain to chain trucks, like Donner pass in a snowstorm? What about the pass that gets only one truck all day, like Hwy 9 between Fairplay and Frisco, CO? What about, after the chains are installed, they need to be tightened after the first mile? Got people for that too? But, auto-Chains!! Great, get all 49 states to legalize them. That would save our current truckers a ton of trouble.

There are hundreds of little things that a driver does throughout a trip that will need attending to, in some way or another. You may create AI truck "rest stops" where crews can go over them. But then there's the regulatory hill to climb, where the driver is legally responsible for the load. In the former example, lumber falling from the truck is the legal responsibility of the driver. He/she could even go to jail for causing harm to another motorist. In your soon-to-be AI trucking world, who gets to do the jail time? The shipper? They won't take the liability, no matter the savings. The receiver? They have nothing to do with it. The truck service providers? The load was fine when it left the rest stop. The truck owner? They weren't there. They simply own the thing. You are talking about upending the whole entire logistics chain in the whole world, along with our legal and regulatory system for assigning liability. You show me the affordable insurance company that will insure AI trucks. I'm not talking about large pilot programs using self-insured carriers. I mean the insurance that 95% of the industry uses. It doesn't exist.

You are thinking that we will add in-route truck servicing, loaders at every shipper to secure and tarp, receivers at every customer to unstrap and untarp, people to tighten straps in route (sounds like the RR), air up tires, swap trailers, remove snow from trailer tops, check brakes, add oil and coolant, etc, etc, etc. Current regulations require all hazmat trucks to stop every three hours for driver inspections. Who will do that? It sounds somewhat expensive to have multiple people doing what one person normally does. This doesn't factor the additional people to maintain the AI system itself. All those technicians will have to be distributed all over the whole system.

Will trucking be autonomous one day? I'd say yes, but it isn't going to be in ten years. If the process is rushed, and as soon as someone gets killed, the process will slow way down. Automating box van terminal-to-terminal freight is one thing. You'll mainly be competing with RR inter-modal. But the whole trucking industry? You've got a mountain to climb to do that, and you're just out of base camp. To my original point, the one that prompted my initial post, is that constantly stating that AI will replace truckers is one factor in keeping new entrants out and is exasperating the driver shortage. It's not helpful.

I know you probably have faith that "they've thought of everything." Well, they haven't. The AI programmers need more experience trying to wrestle a D9 CAT onto an RGN before they figure out how to get AI to do it. I'd love to see how current AI will adjust for bridge height when it's reduced by a few inches of snow on the road. Will it get out of the cab and measure it? Maybe there will be a special road snow measuring sensor, for an additional $10,000, of course. It breaks down every few months, and it must be cleaned after road spray, but hey, they've thought of it!

The people who really need to worry about AI is not the truckers. It's the road construction crews.

In the early 80s, the Jarvik-7 artificial heart was installed at the University of Utah. We were told that within a decade, heart transplants would be obsolete. Today, we still have artificial hearts, mainly used as bridges to transplants, but we still do heart transplants. I believe autonomous-everything is similar. It will progress and improve, but it will be a long time before it will replace the human. In the meantime, it will be used to improve the human's performance. This was true for heart transplants, and it will apply to other human endeavors as well. Including surface transportation.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
This!

The trucks will have pre-loaded 3d terrain data / maps + GPS data of their current location. Not to mention over the air updates.

Plus built in sensor data (temp, barometric, directional (compass), altitude, pitch/yaw/roll, etc - plus I'm sure many I'm forgetting about).

Plus probably a standardized vehicle-to-vehicle communication network between other autonomous / smart vehicles for more dynamic information on traffic flow / road conditions. Probably some periodic relays for more remote areas.

Ever watch the videos of all of the data processing that Teslas do? That information can be shared / communicated. These will be sensor networks with real-time data and frequent updates to current conditions / updated routes, etc. Not just installing a computer in the truck cab and reboot it every once in a while.

quote:
You don't think they haven't thought of this. The elevation of roads don't change The computer will have a detailed 3D map of the entire country in it's memory. Any construction changes will be tracked. This is probably done already. This is an easier problem.

The bigger problems are the instant, dynamic ones. What happens when another truck jackknifes in the rain right in front of it. But they plan for that also. These are not rinky dink operations. Hundreds of millions of dollars are going into this. And they're testing them for millions of miles. I'm pretty sure any situation you can think of, or have experienced, they've dealt with.

quote:
quote:
Why? That's the type of thing I would think computerized trucks would be better at than human drivers. All physics and reaction time. Dealing with human created problems would be more difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
There won't be auto-trucks from "coast to coast" anytime soon. Just the thought of these things going up and down many of the mountain passes out west without a driver is ridiculous.

The truck has to bleed its energy before it starts the downgrade. The AI will have to know about this ahead of time. Are we going to use signage? What about when that sign is unreadable. Sensors? Every large grade will need them, and they will need to be maintained. Maybe you could use mapping.

All of this sounds great. However, there does come a point where installing enough infrastructure is more costly than the driver.

Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Changes are coming, eventually, but the reality of how things will be done isn't going to be how any of us imagine. Nor the timeline.

I expect that things in meat space (IRL) will happen quicker than anticipated while simultaneously much slower than what the Tech / Devs expect.

There are a lot of edge cases as you point out - not even factoring in for mechanical failures. There is a phrase / term in technology / engineering circles - I think it is the 90/10 problem. Meaning that 90% of what you need to implement the change is easy and developed quickly - but that last 10% is a real bitch and takes much longer to solve (if ever). This is a reason why a lot of the 'in 15 years x will be z' etc never happen.

A lot of the regulatory stuff will probably be 'solved' by throwing money at it -- greasing the right hands to get exceptions or outright removing the rules. Again, since 'humans' will be out of the picture.

There are also a lot of assumptions that the rules & regs - or whatever the solution happens to be will be logical and make any sense at all.

Not to mention ethical or well planned in dealing with the vacuum / void left in the wake. Things will be done in the name of progress, for the sake of progress / moving forward / fiduciary responsibility to make the shareholders more profit - screw everything else.

I only mean the above in the sense of the volume of jobs / livelihood that will be lost due to the gained efficiencies. I'm certain there will be no effort to retrain / reallocate said displaced workforce (or impacted industries).

Of course, this will probably open new fields / opportunities as well.

quote:
quote:

I see you've got an answer for everything. Having spent 20 years on the road, however, I can tell you that there are many unforeseen circumstances. UNFORESEEN. You cannot plan for all of them. You have to adapt. Perhaps we will get to the point that A.I. will be able to adapt to every circumstance. Great. When that happens, we will basically have sentience robotics. However, I can tell you from experience that you cannot plan ahead for every contingency.

Let's take lumber hauling, for example. Sometimes, no matter how well it's strapped, lumber works out of the middle bunk. Who will deal with that? So it's snowing. Who is going to put on the chains. Are we going to station personnel on every mountain to chain trucks, like Donner pass in a snowstorm? What about the pass that gets only one truck all day, like Hwy 9 between Fairplay and Frisco, CO? What about, after the chains are installed, they need to be tightened after the first mile? Got people for that too? But, auto-Chains!! Great, get all 49 states to legalize them. That would save our current truckers a ton of trouble.

There are hundreds of little things that a driver does throughout a trip that will need attending to, in some way or another. You may create AI truck "rest stops" where crews can go over them. But then there's the regulatory hill to climb, where the driver is legally responsible for the load. In the former example, lumber falling from the truck is the legal responsibility of the driver. He/she could even go to jail for causing harm to another motorist. In your soon-to-be AI trucking world, who gets to do the jail time? The shipper? They won't take the liability, no matter the savings. The receiver? They have nothing to do with it. The truck service providers? The load was fine when it left the rest stop. The truck owner? They weren't there. They simply own the thing. You are talking about upending the whole entire logistics chain in the whole world, along with our legal and regulatory system for assigning liability. You show me the affordable insurance company that will insure AI trucks. I'm not talking about large pilot programs using self-insured carriers. I mean the insurance that 95% of the industry uses. It doesn't exist.

You are thinking that we will add in-route truck servicing, loaders at every shipper to secure and tarp, receivers at every customer to unstrap and untarp, people to tighten straps in route (sounds like the RR), air up tires, swap trailers, remove snow from trailer tops, check brakes, add oil and coolant, etc, etc, etc. Current regulations require all hazmat trucks to stop every three hours for driver inspections. Who will do that? It sounds somewhat expensive to have multiple people doing what one person normally does. This doesn't factor the additional people to maintain the AI system itself. All those technicians will have to be distributed all over the whole system.

Will trucking be autonomous one day? I'd say yes, but it isn't going to be in ten years. If the process is rushed, and as soon as someone gets killed, the process will slow way down. Automating box van terminal-to-terminal freight is one thing. You'll mainly be competing with RR inter-modal. But the whole trucking industry? You've got a mountain to climb to do that, and you're just out of base camp. To my original point, the one that prompted my initial post, is that constantly stating that AI will replace truckers is one factor in keeping new entrants out and is exasperating the driver shortage. It's not helpful.

I know you probably have faith that "they've thought of everything." Well, they haven't. The AI programmers need more experience trying to wrestle a D9 CAT onto an RGN before they figure out how to get AI to do it. I'd love to see how current AI will adjust for bridge height when it's reduced by a few inches of snow on the road. Will it get out of the cab and measure it? Maybe there will be a special road snow measuring sensor, for an additional $10,000, of course. It breaks down every few months, and it must be cleaned after road spray, but hey, they've thought of it!

The people who really need to worry about AI is not the truckers. It's the road construction crews.

In the early 80s, the Jarvik-7 artificial heart was installed at the University of Utah. We were told that within a decade, heart transplants would be obsolete. Today, we still have artificial hearts, mainly used as bridges to transplants, but we still do heart transplants. I believe autonomous-everything is similar. It will progress and improve, but it will be a long time before it will replace the human. In the meantime, it will be used to improve the human's performance. This was true for heart transplants, and it will apply to other human endeavors as well. Including surface transportation.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just wait until there are no humans one has to worry about killing in those big rigs. Imagine what other drivers are going to do then. Good luck with that.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
And, what happens when Skynet finds its way into the autonomous trucks' computers?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You can be right and still be wrong.

Will there be specialty situation that will continue to need human drivers? Heavy/oversided hauls, hazmat, other nonstandard cargo on nonstandard roads? Certainly in the in the beginning of the automated truck era. And some likely never will be automated. But what percentage of total hauls, driver hours, mile or whatever metric you want to use of total trucking do these represent. By the same metric, what percentage does driving box trailers between any combination factories, warehouses, and stores over normal roads represent? I'd bet a lot more. That's what will be automated first, and it represents what a lot of drivers do, maybe a majority.

As far as regulations go, if you think this won't be modified to accommodate automation, you're naïve. There's a lot of money to be made here, and their will be pressure on the politicians and bureaucrats to play ball.

And will there be startup problems? Sure. Will they be worked out? Yes. As far as timeframe? Driverless trucks may be on the road hauling commercial loads this year. If not definitely next. And the current shortage of drivers will accelerate this.

quote:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigcrazy7 said it best. too many variables. EVERY time I stop my hazmat truck,
I'm required to inspect my truck and its load. Too many times the doofuses at the
plant can't secure the load. At least once or twice a week, I have to resecure the
load. Automated truck can't do this. But I guess DOT would relax the rules to let
the big companies get away with it. As with most things... Follow the money!!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

And will there be startup problems? Sure. Will they be worked out? Yes. As far as timeframe? Driverless trucks may be on the road hauling commercial loads this year. If not definitely next. And the current shortage of drivers will accelerate this.

Man, you're dreaming.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) I think it’s more likely there will be some manner of automated lane/path between ports and inland ports before anything else.

B) All jobs can be automated out of existence, if it becomes worthwhile to do so

C) If DC ever got it’s head out of its ass, one of the best things for the county would be automating/updating rail freight. Physics says there really shouldn’t be such a thing as cross country trucks, if it wasn’t for the way rail is run.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I do think maritime will be automated, outside of harbors and canals, pretty soon.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All jobs can be automated out of existence, if it becomes worthwhile to do so

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Come on. Immediately I think of prostitution. You like robots? Hell, they cannot even prevent them from running into people. One hit me several weeks ago. They have been strangely absent since then.I guess if you want a Stepford wife it would be cool.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I do think maritime will be automated, outside of harbors and canals, pretty soon.

Yeah, that's not happening anytime soon either.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course. Maybe he watched the Jetsons too much as a kid. The Navy has enough problems with collisions as it is.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
And, what happens when Skynet finds its way into the autonomous trucks' computers?

Wrong movie. You're thinking of Maximum Overdrive. Cool

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post