SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OneNote - no longer have permission?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OneNote - no longer have permission? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
What a hell of a day. I fell for a scam website leading to CC actions. I changed some gmail passwords (via browser) which then broke gmail on Outlook - I had to remove and re-add accounts (why can't I just update my password in Outlook for my gmail accounts?)

And now it seems that I no longer have permissions for my OneNote notebooks. The notes are still there but I can no longer edit them. Can't add or delete anything. I can't create new notebooks (weird behavior like the folder I'm trying to create them in doesn't exist when it does - I navigated to it). Seriously, WTF? My personal PC with my purchased SW? I'm not allowed to access / edit content on my own fucking PC with SW I purchased? Yesterday was fine but not today? WTF?

Is there an app like OneNote that I can use - I'm sick of MSFT. Perhaps LibreOffice has something? Or what do you guys use for keeping notes? I've been using OneNote because it came with Office 2016 (desktop version - I ain't touching the O365 onedrive version).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evernote's free offering I've used for many years and is decent if you're okay with the limit on the number of devices. Joplin is free, open source, and looks good as well. There are several others like Zim and CherryTree.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free version of EVERNOTE. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What a hell of a day. I fell for a scam website leading to CC actions.

And now it seems that I no longer have permissions for my OneNote notebooks.

Is there an app like OneNote that I can use - I'm sick of MSFT.

Sorry for your troubles.
It's terrible that MSFT made you fall for the scam and hence causing all of your issues.
Frown

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:

Free version of EVERNOTE. God Bless !!! Smile
Free version is limited to syncing with three devices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll look into evernote. I only need support for one device at a time. I assume if I change PCs, I can transfer my single device support - or will that count as two devices?

I hope it's easy to export/import from Onenote.

Question after quick peek: does evernote store data only locally (except for when you sync two devices; but even, only locally on those devices)? Or does it store your data in the cloud like onedrive? It seems like it's storing data in the cloud - 60MB upload/month and assurance that they 'never sell your data.' Data in the cloud in a non-starter for me....

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus

maybe they can help you recover access

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think I found the fix. If so, MSFT really screwed the pooch here. Last post (re: ransomware protection):

https://answers.microsoft.com/...-99d758fe4ac9?page=2

So far, so good......

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's microsoft's fault. I occasionally get that error message but it goes away on its own soon enough. I think it just needs to establish connections with my Microsoft account.

OneNote's data is stored in Microsoft's cloud.

If you're going to Evernote, I would suggest manually copying your notes page by page just to preclude what happened with your computer porting. (I think you're the one who has to pay like $500 to recover the lost files, right?)

I've been a paid Evernote user since about 2008. I just recently reverted my subscription to the free version just to keep the account open but I don't have any more notes there. I switched to OneNote about December 2000 and it's taken me about a year and a half to manually port my notes over. I wasn't in a hurry and I did have a lot of notes in Evernote.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19713 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey Rey, That message and symptom should never appear, even if it goes away on its own.

Not sure what connection needs to be established - I'm not logged in to any MSFT account.

My OneNote data is stored locally only (at least to my knowledge). I don't use onedrive and keep the service disabled. I am using OneNote 2016 desktop version, not the online subscription version that wants to use onedrive.

I do think it's MSFT's fault. Seems like this issue is between their ransomware protection as part of their security construct and treating their onenote.exe as a bad actor. See the link I posted above that seems to have resolved my issue.