SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nothing lasts like it used to- not even Interstate batteries. Recommendations for a replacement battery?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nothing lasts like it used to- not even Interstate batteries. Recommendations for a replacement battery? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I think it's been about four years, maybe a bit more, since I installed an Interstate battery in my truck. The last couple of times I've started it up, it cranked kinda slow. I attributed it the relatively cold weather we've had lately. Today, it barely cranked.

Well, it runs after starting, and after I shut it off, it cranked a bit faster, so my alternator is working. I need a new battery, and I will not be installing another Interstate. What do you recommend?

It's a damn shame, bcause I used to swear by these batteries, but no more.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Here’s the thing in my experience: battery manufacturing is so mature they know exactly to the day how long any given battery product will last. Regardless of manufacturer.

There are some that may deep cycle more, like an Optima - but honestly I’ve just gone to AGM batteries for the last 15 years. (My current one is an Interstate. Eek)

That’s why you can buy your battery w/ 36 mos, 48 mos, 60 mos etc. etc.

I’ll leave it to others to suggest alternative brands.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
What brand truck?
If its Ford I use Motorcraft batteries.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Toyota

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My 3 year old Interstate battery failed in December. Costco gave me a full refund. I researched batteries and for the money I thought the NAPA Legend was the best for the cost. It also has a much better warranty than the Interstate.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I use Costco batteries in my diesel. 3 year warranty I believe.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Optima are some of the highest cranking amp, best batteries, they are pricey, haven't gone that route myself, taken the every 4 years plan.

For the past few I"ve run the Wal-Mart or Autozone/Advance Auto plan, basically the price point = warranty term. Right now the Autozone Die Hard gold series seems to be doing well and lasting.

AGM batteries tend to last a little longer than lead acid, the new hotness is lithium batteries, super lightweight, but big money...

Get the required CCA for your vehicle, 4 years is a good life on todays batteries.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I buy batteries at Walmart and use them in all of our vehicles and equipment.

They are sold at a decent price, do well in consumer testing, and since I travel on occasion should I ever have an issue there's always a Walmart nearby.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think what I've been buying for replacement batteries is Deka (East Penn). Never had any complaints. The batteries in my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my wife's 2014 Chevy Equinox are still OE.

If pressed: I could go out to the µBarn and check the lawn mower. I'm fairly sure whatever I bought for that is what I've been having put in our motor vehicles.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I would look for an East Penn battery. I think they are still US made and rebranded under NAPA Gold, SuperStart Extreme and Duracell. The last one I bought came with a 75 month warranty.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Optima touts their cells as being leak-free and far more durable to transferred vibration and impact shock from hard vehicle use. I've put one of their 'Yellow-tops' in one of our cars; only 9 months so far so long-term durability is still a real-world unknown, but fellow enthusiasts I know swear by them. We'll see...

And HRK is right; they aren't cheap.

Some of the performance-oriented car manufacturers have been moving over to deep cycle lithium-ion batteries; don't know that much about them but if they follow the life span of factory Li-ion batteries in hybrids and EVs, they should last for a very long time. But like the Optimas they also aren't cheap.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
FWIW - we ran Optima batteries in series (24v) with our Battlebot. We did it because we could manageably discharge 900A in 75 secs, and we needed to recharge quickly. Big 24V 20A charger from BT. DC is a trip!

Hence the deep cycle capability. Thought about putting an optima 12 V in my car but required a battery holder adapter and it just wasn’t worth the extra effort over AGM.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Optima touts their cells as being leak-free and far more durable to transferred vibration and impact shock from hard vehicle use. I've put one of their 'Yellow-tops' in one of our cars; ...

I'm fairly sure that was what was in my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer. I know when I had my battery place check it they pronounced it good and the guy remarked "That's a very good battery."

I had the TrailBlazer for three years. That battery was in it when I bought it. He told me its manufacturing date, but I no longer recall. It never failed me in that three years.

quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
And HRK is right; they aren't cheap.

He said that, too.

Deka makes AGM batteries, too. When the Jeep's battery needs replacing, I'll probably look at either an Optima or Deka AGM if they'll work in the Jeep's battery-holder. Same for my wife's Equinox.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I finally replaced my Toyota battery about 5 years ago, it was 7 years old at that time.

The current battery, the one replaced 5 years ago, is a Toyota branded battery from my local Toyota dealer, and is still working well.

When it fails, I will get another Toyota branded battery from the Toyota parts department.

Having said that, I purchased a replacement battery for my old Chevy truck 2 years ago. I had AAA come out and install it. I think it is a very good battery.

I'll vote for you to get a Toyota branded battery from the Toyota dealer parts department.
If not that, then a AAA battery.

NO matter what you do, batteries are quite expensive nowadays. No such thing as a cheap $$$ battery anymore.

Cheap batteries ain't good.
Good batteries ain't cheap.

Probably the best bang for your buck is a battery from Costco, because of their warranty and service.

Good luck to you Para.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Optima AGM or another AGM.
I run both the Yellow and Red top Optima.
Top notch batteries.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd check it with a voltmeter if you have one to be sure it's the battery and not a connection or the starter. Even if the battery terminals look nice and clean and no corrosion, the connection between the post and the inside of the terminal could have some crud you can't see and also make sure the clamp bolt are tight and the clamp can't move. Sometimes the pinch bolt on the clamp can be tight but the ends of the clamp are bottomed out and the clamp connection isn't tight.
If it turns out that it is the battery itself, about all you can do is decide how many months you want as they are only made by one or two manufacturers (Johnson Control and Exide) and labeled with a brand on the outside.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
delco is who I have been using. Costco would be number 2 only because cost. Not sure how good they are.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had a Toyota brand battery on our FJ Cruiser. It lasted almost 8 years. For just about the same cost as the Toyota battery we replaced it with an Optima red top. It lasted the four remaining years until we sold the Cruiser with no signs of wearing.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have pretty good luck with Walmart batteries. If for nothing else when the battery goes bad prior to the expiration, they just give us a new battery free of charge.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I buy batteries at Walmart and use them in all of our vehicles and equipment.

They are sold at a decent price, do well in consumer testing, and since I travel on occasion should I ever have an issue there's always a Walmart nearby.

Same here and I have had only one battery with a bad cell and it was replaced under warranty..(Maxx Ever Start).

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post