SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nothing lasts like it used to- not even Interstate batteries. Recommendations for a replacement battery?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nothing lasts like it used to- not even Interstate batteries. Recommendations for a replacement battery? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'd check it with a voltmeter if you have one to be sure it's the battery and not a connection or the starter. Even if the battery terminals look nice and clean and no corrosion, the connection between the post and the inside of the terminal could have some crud you can't see and also make sure the clamp bolt are tight and the clamp can't move. Sometimes the pinch bolt on the clamp can be tight but the ends of the clamp are bottomed out and the clamp connection isn't tight.
If it turns out that it is the battery itself, about all you can do is decide how many months you want as they are only made by one or two manufacturers (Johnson Control and Exide) and labeled with a brand on the outside.

Well said ^^^

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I would buy the most powerful battery that will fit in the space on your car. Buying more CCA's costs very little money.

I buy American made batteries that have a 72 month warranty. I had to replace one on my daughter's car because she never leaves town and it is not kept charged. It was almost 3 years old and there was no charge.

There are a number of reviews on Youtube you might want to look at.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I sell Interstate Para and I am not seeing decreased life nor increased failures. Perhaps you were just unlucky if in fact it is the battery at issue.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll check the battery connections, thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 107610 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Our go to are Walmart Everstart auto batteries which are made by Johnson Controls. At least in the sizes we need they rank quite high by all reviewers.
FWIW JC makes many other "brands" including Optima.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 years is on the short side of normal.

I've been using Ford or NAPA batteries with very good results.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I would look for an East Penn battery. I think they are still US made and rebranded under NAPA Gold, SuperStart Extreme and Duracell. The last one I bought came with a 75 month warranty.

This...IMO and experience, the East Penn/Deka Batteries are FAR superior to those manufactured by Johnson Controls and Exide. Batteries+Bulbs stores stock the Duracell branded version, and generally the Batteries+ guys know what they're talking about when it comes to batteries. I can HIGHLY recommend them!

Also, it's worth noting that while CCA is important, due to all the electronics in modern vehicles, Reserve Capacity (AH) is just as, if not more important. Typically there's a number of loads that continue to run on battery power AFTER you shut the engine off. Obviously Reserve Capacity is important as those loads are draining the battery when the charging system is not maintaining/charging the battery. The issue when comparing replacement batteries is that not all manufacturers calculate this rating the same, as it is load dependent. Some manufacturers/retailers also make this rating hard to find.

I drive Volvo's, and in the case of my '09 S60, the replacement battery(s) did not meet both the CCA and Reserve AH of the existing battery. The guys at Batteries+ worked a few calculations with me to confirm the best replacement and we decided to go with the battery that had the higher Reserve AH even though it has slightly less CCA than the OEM battery. Just something to consider...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Id get the original Toyota True Start and will when its time for replacement. Perhaps sooner so as not to have to deal with a dead battery. Current True Start is a 84 month battery installed in 2015. It is a starting monster and never fails. A few bucks more but worth every dollar.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent luck with Autozone Duralast batteries. My SUV was in the shop and the battery was bad. The shop put in an Interstate battery, and it went bad very quickly. They warrantied it and it has been good so far.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Deka / East Penn Manufacturing

Got six out of my OEM although it might well have worked another two years. Wanted OEM again but AC/Delco specs changed. The shop [3rd generation] said they only install Deka. No problems in these Pennsylvania winters. I went with the 'better'.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Walmart also. Both of my vehicles have the Walmart battery and it has been working well. As said previously, there is a Walmart everywhere and they will honor the warranty regardless of where you bought it.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I change out batteries every three years, regardless of condition. Yoop weather is hard on batteries. Its just cheap insurance. I wait for a sale on Optima or Napa batteries.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I keep on of these handy for testing car batteries:

https://www.harborfreight.com/...-analyzer-66892.html

You can't always get a true picture from just voltage.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short trips and infrequent driving often do not keep the battery in a full state of charge. Also most modern vehicles have some battery discharge just sitting from electrical drain by circuits that are still operating. I am a great believer in battery chargers and battery tenders for home use. Corvettes are very bad about parasitic drain and if parked with a fully charged battery may fail to crank after two to four weeks of just sitting. Many other vehicles have the same problems. My niece has a Honda that she drives one mile every day to her job. The alternator will not replace the starter draw in such a short distance. She puts a charger on the vehicle about every week to top off the battery. Any battery can fail a battery test if it is not fully charged. Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
thanks for the timely thread,

I need to put a battery in my 2000 tundra,

I usually go to Advanced or Autozone and get them to put in the mid level battery,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Project Farm Batteries

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Another one who has gotten good service out of NAPA.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Most auto parts stores will do a load test for free on a battery. It does need to be fully charged for the best test. I finally bought a load tester, it comes in handy. Ant time someone has a questionable battery I charge it overnight and then test it, no more guessing.

Interstate is still the go to battery for me. Used them for decades. I have never had one that did not last longer then the warrantee, that is not the case for some other brands I or family / friends have had.

With Interstate... The thing is, they have 3 levels/grades of their batteries. Good, better, best.

I always buy the "best" but have on at least one occasion ran into an issue where the "best" version was not made in the profile/size I needed and I had to settle for the "better" one.

The top tier is called Mega-tron and is always white with a green top IIRC. If your battery doesn't say Mega-tron on it you don't have the top of the line/best they offer. I think I saw a Mega-tron II in an ad or somewhere before but I am not current on their selections because I haven't needed one in a few years so...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Optima red top for me. It has been good for eleven years (so far).

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
At the four year point, I'd be thinking of a new battery anyway. They don't last like they used to. Maybe I'm a bit proactive, but I don't want to be caught somewhere inconvenient and not be able to start.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post